Your boats?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are near Kittery, do you paddle Casco Bay? Is the boat traffic there a real negative or are there ways of exploring the islands and avoiding the shipping lanes?
We paddle Casco Bay frequently. I was concerned the first time there but, if you are alert, you can easily avoid that paddle-for-your-life feeling. The launch from the Eastern Prom has free parking and a nice beach to launch from. A short paddle out to Fort Gorges (beautiful/fun to explore) passes through a minor boat lane but seaward from there the ferries up the adventure quotient a lot. Not as bad as you might think but not recommended in any fog:eek:. If the ferries really worry you, you can check their schedules. Big ships aren't an issue as you have plenty of time to avoid them. And, once beyond them, great paddling among the islands without power boat issues, except lobster/fishing boats. It is a big open bay with conditions that often are open-ocean like.
But launching at Winslow Memorial Park in Freeport (small fee) puts one at the north end of the Bay with no where near as much traffic and great paddling/scenery. Watch the tides, though..

I also paddle (and have as a guest boat) an Eddyline Nighthawk, dubbed the Hesperus due to an unfortunate event, .....

If anyone would like to paddle out of Kittery Point (mellow) and/or use one of my boats there, please let me know.

We have several boats, I've been paddling the Nighthawk for a few seasons now. the 1st year I called it my boat of 100 heart attacks...that's what it felt like the 1st time I was in some lively water with it. Now these past couple of years I have put it through some pretty big water and it feels solid as a rock. Funny how it changes over the years.

I would be curious how it became the 'Hesperus' ?
Could be tempted to paddle off Kittery Point before it get to busy later in the year...

I would be curious how it became the 'Hesperus' ?
Could be tempted to paddle off Kittery Point before it get to busy later in the year...

It suffered grievous harm during a car-topping mishap a few years ago at Acadia and now has more seams than Frankenstein. Thankfully, a guy from Eliot was able to repair it and it is fully functional, just not pretty. I agree, it's a very well designed boat and I find it forgiving, stability-wise, compared to other ocean designs.

I stay off the cold water, so won't be getting out until the busy season; let's see if anyone else is interested in getting together here or elsewhere on the ocean sometime.

Seriously Ill

I have a serious disease. It is called, "Wooden Canoe Bug". It is terminal and there is no cure.

Symptoms include but are not limited to a yard full of project hulls, a garage that looks like a boathouse, rubber necking unsuspecting people's backyards during country drives looking for the proverbial "Morris" or "Gerrish", a constant and distinct odor of varnish and turpentine permeates the clothing, and a feeling of terror when encountering those half canoe "bookcases" unknowing people seem to want to make out of perfectly good hulls.

Beware this condition can be highly contagious.

I restore, paddle and sail wood and canvas canoes. Don't even own a plastic boat.

2495770480054321892S600x600Q85.jpg

6 and counting...

Old Town Penobscot 17...I love that boat. Don't own one but wish I did.

My first canoe was the dreaded Coleman 13. After a few years it got sold to friend to friend to friend. Oddly enough, I actually have it back. It's now chained to a tree down at the Nissy in case I want to paddle quick over to Short Beach and fish. I wouldn't take it on long jaunts though.
I then, ironically enough, bought the 17 foot version. Just as bad. I took it down the Esopus in April of 1990-something and for all intents and purposes I should be dead right now but I'm not. It got wrecked on that suicidal journey. I fixed it though and put it back on the water. At some point after that my father used it as a saw horse one day and cut a hole in it. "Are you in a bad mood right now? I have something to tell you" he says. Fixed it and sold it. :D

After that, a Mohawk Intrepid 17 that I bought in Springfield, Missouri while a KKK rally was going on around the corner. Got outta there quick with my new canoe. Still have it. Love it. Added a deep dish cherry yoke and kneeling thwart and a few knee pads. Great all around tripping canoe.

Then I needed the solo boat. Wenonah Argosy. Thin layup but handles great. A little unstable, oil-cans, but good for swift water, light weight and good for Adirondack tripping. Holds plenty of gear for one person.

After that, I got into the kayak scene...Wilderness Systems Tempest 170...good for the budget. Took it across L.I. Sounds a few years ago and will be doing that again this summer with Coldfeet if he ever gets his ass taken care of ;)

Bought a 17 foot Delhi (?) aluminum canoe from a neighbor last summer for $100...good for kicking around but loud.

Inherited a nice Dagger Sojourn that needs some fixin' from an old boss last summer. It's much like the Argosy.

Running out of room for boats. Someday hope to have a few wooden canoes and glass kayaks. Necky was actually supposed to come out with an all black carbon fiber kayak that looks killer. Don't know what happened to that one.

Last edited:
Its about the trips

My fleet of two ABS canoes consist of a Mad River Explorer (1983) and a Mad River Courier (1985). Both canoes have more than paid for themselves over the years and are still providing adequate service.

Personally, i would rather spend the money doing trips as apposed to purchasing additional boats. Could have easily replaced both canoes, based on what last summer's 600-mile Kazan River trip in Canada's barren lands cost. :)

But, alas, after 25 years of use the MR Explorer is starting to show some age and may not be up for this summer's trip.

FWIW, those 17 ft. OT Penobscots sure look like a wonderful canoes. At some point would particularly like to own the 16 ft. version to use as a solo boat to replace the Courier.

marshall

FWIW, those 17 ft. OT Penobscots sure look like a wonderful canoes. At some point would particularly like to own the 16 ft. version to use as a solo boat to replace the Courier.

marshall

Buy the 16 unless you plan to use the boat regularly with big loads on big water in big wind. It's a more versatile craft. And the 17, apart from its intrinsic merits of which there are many, is bloody awful as a solo.

Sounds like good advice, sardog1. The other thing about both Penobscot canoes that i find appealing is that they are very fast for ABS canoes, as you and Spencer are likely well aware. Believe a strong solo paddler could keep pace with many tandem paddled canoes in that 16 foot boat.

marshall

Sounds like good advice, sardog1. The other thing about both Penobscot canoes that i find appealing is that they are very fast for ABS canoes, as you and Spencer are likely well aware. Believe a strong solo paddler could keep pace with many tandem paddled canoes in that 16 foot boat.

marshall

Yes, the Penobscot was the first ABS/Royalex/Oltonar hull that I saw that I liked well enough to own. (No, I'm not a WW kind of guy.) I was underwhelmed by the Royalex version of the Explorer, for instance. Since the advent of the Penobscot, there have been significant improvements in the offerings from various manufacturers, especially in the last few years. But there are still some plugs out there as well.

BTW, everyone else -- I just looked at MarshallM's photo album, linked under his signature. Ye gods, that was fun! There's some hardcore polin' and trippin' going on there. (And I'll probably get beat on the ears with a pole for my Explorer slur now . . . :eek: )

I have a Perception Carolina 13.5 with a Seal Line rudder system that I installed on it. For my weight/ability I think this is a great boat for me.

I had a Wilderness System Piccalo before, but sadly, I out grew it. :(

I've been kayak camping with it several times, and it is adequite, much more like backpacking than canoe camping, but that's ok.

For easy rivers, like the Saco and Magollaway it is great, and with the rudder even when Umbagog or Squam have white caps I can manage to get where I am going.

I have only had it in the ocean once or twice. More my lack of knowledge and confidence paddeling than any other reason.

My only problem with the kayak is that it is an ordeal for me to load it on the vehicle and get it off, but that is probably my lack of strength more than the boats weight. :mad:

If I could easily load and unload it I am sure I would use it a LOT more!

:rolleyes:

And I'll probably get beat on the ears with a pole for my Explorer slur now . . . :eek:

About that Explorer slur...oh, what blasphemy! :)

IMHO, the MR Explorer is a canoe that doesn't really do any one thing exceedingly well, but short of serious ocean paddling it can do pretty much everything to a reasonable degree. One of the outstanding general purpose ABS canoes (the Vermont made ones, anyway), either as a tandem or solo canoe.

The Explorer may be heavy and a bit of a barge on flat water, but it can handle white water very well empty or loaded and as a solo canoe it could easily carry 60+ days of food and gear. When paddled solo, you can paddle seated, paddle kneeled, paddle standing up or pole standing up. All have their place and not so easy to do with most of the smaller and more specialized solos on the market.

marshall

The Explorer may be heavy and a bit of a barge on flat water, but it can handle white water very well empty or loaded and as a solo canoe it could easily carry 60+ days of food and gear. When paddled solo, you can paddle seated, paddle kneeled, paddle standing up or pole standing up. All have their place and not so easy to do with most of the smaller and more specialized solos on the market.

marshall

Yep, I concur on all points. My biases are entirely formed by BWCA requirements, and I have a hard time shaking them. The first time I saw an Explorer it was the Kevlar version (which for its time was a revolutionary boat and very appealing.) My narrowmindedness is why the lines of the Royalex version left me wanting more for a flatwater boat.

Also used to have some fun throwing poppers at smallmouth bass from a Malecite. But that one is definitely not to my tripping requirements -- I've seen some folks that were windbound on big water with one. :eek:

I have a Perception Carolina 14.5 that I love. Got it used from a friend. I mostly paddle lakes and slow moving rivers but I have taken it down the Farmington, (CT) and through Satan's Kingdom and had no problems at all. Great boat!

Well, I will be out in "my boat" on sunday paddling on the delaware bay. It supposed to be warm (high70s) and sunny on sunday. I have not been paddling since Maine last Sept and I am ready.

The first time I saw an Explorer it was the Kevlar version (which for its time was a revolutionary boat and very appealing.) :eek:
Believe you are spot on with your observations about the kevlar version of the Explorer. Had the good fortune to use one on the upper Missinaibi trip (Ontario) a few years ago and was much impressed with the finer lines, stiffer hull and obviously the lighter weight (about 20 lbs less than the royalex version). Portaging the kevlar Explorer with a contoured carrying yoke and tump line was a breeze on the longer portages.
marshall