Your boats?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stan...Congratulations !!
Looks like a excellent boat...you'll be zipping along in fine style!!
Hope to see you on the water soon.

Old Colemans never go away, they just fade a lot and get moved around. I sold my green Coleman 15 in the mid-90s to a Boy Scout troop and promptly forgot about it (good riddance!). When I did the 90-Miler race in '06 (in my 17-foot kayak), I was checking in at the Old Forge campground the night before the race while wearing my 46er hat, and started talking to "Gentleman Jim" at the registration table. He said he had also done the 46 but never bothered sending in reports to document it. I told him where I was from and he said that he was also from the Buffalo area... then he said, "Did you sell a Coleman canoe to the Boy Scouts?". I had to dig back in my memory before remembering that I did. Jim told me that he was involved with that troop and that he now owns my old "forgotten" canoe. :eek: I still don't miss it. :D

Al I though you wer going to say he was using that coleman int he race. I would hate to portage one of those colemans. Had one a long time ago. HEAVY. It wa a difficult time getting it on the roof of the car.

seems like we could have a whole thread devoted to the old plastic coleman canoes... :rolleyes:

When I was living in ALaska we had the good fortune to borrow a 'friend of a friend's' Coleman Ram X canoe. No idea how big, but I do know for a fact it was extremely heavy!

We did the Nancy Chain of Ponds, and I believe it was a 4 day 3 night journey. There were a number of portages. These quickly became a joke. Because when you are in that much severe pain, all you can do is laugh!

We ended up hiking more, since we had to unpack the canoe, making several trips from one end of the portage to the other, and then attempt to carry the completely empty canoe. I learned a lot of new words on that trip, and believe I even invented a few myself.

The trip itself was beautiful, and we didn't see another soul the entire time. But then again, they may have just been scurrying away from our colorful language. :eek:

We gladly returned the canoe to the rightful owner, and declined his generous offer for us to purchase it.

I think it was shortly after that trip that we started buying kayaks.

;)

They weren't portaging Coleman canoes, but below is a link to a trip that 5 young ladies did in 2008 from Great Slave Lake in Canada's NWTs to Coronation Gulf on the Arctic Ocean. Believe the trip took about 2 months, and the crux of the trip, in my mind, was an ambitious 50-mile overland route from the Kendall River to the Rae River drainage. These women apparently dragged their canoes and gear over very small creeks and did many portages also between chains of ponds.

http://www.borealispaddlingexpedition.com/z2008.html

The portage-hardened voyageurs of the fir trade era might have been impressed by the portaging prowess of these women!

marshall

I've done alot of canoing in my past life but never any kayaking. I live not for from the Long Island Sound and want to explore the little islands out there, nice way to spend the hot summer days.

I bought a used Perception America 13.5 early this year. Since I've had it hanging in my garage waiting for warmer water, I built a cart and made a tow bar for my MTbike so I can pull it to the launch. That should be fun pulling a 50 pound boat along the bike paths.

First thing on my agenda is trying self rescues using a paddle float. I guess this is something I will eventually have to be familiar with sooner or later so why not get it down to a science.

Any tips for a noob from the experianced kayakers?

Are you in the city? Try finding out about some local clubs to join....I'm in Long Island and I joined a club for $35 for the year.....we practiced self rescue in a pool to get comfortable.....I've gone out with Indian Chris many a times and we practiced, sometimes not on purpose :rolleyes:

I heard that Brookyln has a few kayak clubs and I think on the West side of the city, near Chelsey pier (sp?)

Hey Dave, There is a club on City Island I can join but I don't generally have time for clubs. I do have a friend that bought a boat the same time, so we'll be practicing together. I've done my homework and have seen enough videos on self rescue. I'd like to know if a sturup helps? I've seen them demoed and it looks like it makes getting back up alot easier.

Hi PR....some of our club members went to visit city Island..heard their club has a beautiful piece of property to keep your boat there, no car topping...but it's supposed to be very expensive to join the club...something ridiculous (sp?) like $500 for the year :eek:

I don't know what sturups are?...I just know that next time I practice self rescues I have to teather my radio onto my life jacket much better...glub glub glub :(

Hopefully when I get the ok from the dr to paddle I'll join u guys...city Island has some nice little clam bars.....

I have used the stripup set up with my wife who was definetly having trouble re-entering her kayak. Her boat sat high in the water and wearing a pfd made it even more difficult for her to get her upper body up onto the rear deck to re-enter.
Though the stirup did the trick, we are skeptical of entanglement and found that by reaching over her boat and grabing her by the back of the pfd, I could help her up onto the boat.
Still when we are both in two single kayaks we will bring the stirup set up as a back up.
For us the stirup is a length of non floating rope with a piece of hose slid over a portion of it for better footing, we then drape it around the coaming of her boat, though there are other variations of using it.

I saw the sturup on a video and it look so much easier getting back in. I have an idea where I can hook up a sturup with out using the coaming so there won't be any entanglement... I noticed that as being a problem in rough water. Another guy I was talking to said he hooks his up off straps that are holding the float padle via a clip. I still have to get in the water to tray all these variations. I'll be taking mine up to a lake in NJ where I can play and also practice handeling in calm waters befoer getting in the Long Island Sound.

Dave next time on CI, e-me? I'll take you to a great fish joint for lunch and bring you bike to do a tour duh Bronks all the way up into New Rochelle, a real nice loop.

I am thinking about joining the CI club and yes the price is high but that includes storage and parking. My beef with CI is the traffic on n off the island during the summer so I am making a tow bar for my MT bike. I only have to haul it 4 miles, the boat is only 50 pounds. How bad can it be draging a 14' boat behind a bike? I can't wait to try it. Waiting for warmer water and I'll be exploring the island in the sound. Maybe sneak an illegal camping trip? Is it possable?

What I've learned from canoing, teather everything! SO you lost a radio? Sheesh that can be heart breaking. I jsut bought the Standard HX270x for $67...

http://www.newagemarine.com/stdhx270s.html?gclid=CNjljuGDt5gCFQpuGgodt3lLZQ

Nice radio, small but doesn't float. I'll be sure to fix that to my PFD.

Last edited:
I practiced dumping and getting back into my kayak alot last summer. The first few I times I tried I kept on flipping the kayak. Finally got the knack and have no problems. I have an Impex Force 3 that sits low in the water so I do have any problems with pulling myself up onto the boat. I guess weight lifting in the gym helps too.