Your favorite photos, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of tri-pod?

Pudgy_groundhog,

I'm going to second Ridgewalker's question.

I'm also going to guess that the reason they're so much in focus is because you use a tri-pod- if so, what kind? My impression is that the extra weight would be well worth it!

Tripod

This tripod is awesome with point and shoots - will not work with a dslr due to the weight:

Tripod

You can put it on a rock, the ground, or wrap it aroung a trekking pole or a branch...

This pic of me and Tuco was taken with the Gorilla Pod wrapped around a branch on the summit of Waumbek.

Mike,

Many thanx. I had seen the GorillaPod in the magazine Outdoor Photographer, but had wondered if it worked in our kind of environment.

I wonder, is there anything similar that would work w/ a DSLR? Right now I use a Canon S80 point-and-shoot, but was looking forward to eventually upgrading to a DSLR.

Peak-baggingly yours,
Matt

Last edited:
I have no experience with this product, but it looks neat and too good to be true, so it's probably useless, right? Looks like the tripod base might be a little flimsy, and with a large camera it would be pretty top heavy, but who wants to lug all that weight anyway? 30 oz.....I have no idea how that compares to regular poles.

http://www.trek-tech.com/

Maybe just retrofit your existing hiking poles (if you have 'em) to make a monopod??

I've used the Ultrapod II on a few hikes. It's light and versatile; the velcro strap allows it to be strapped to a tree limb, trekking pole or whatever you come up with. (REI sells it Here )

Here's my contribution...

I justs bought a new digital camera early this year so I took a bazillion pictures. Most of them weren't very good so it was easy to narrow it down to about 20 of my favourites.

vegematic's pictures

-veg

My favorite 2006 outdoor photo

I enjoyed all the photos - great shots of many beautiful places. I'll add one of mine that makes me think of the many enjoyable camping trips I've had over 30+ years in the Adirondacks. This was of a sunset during a relaxing dinner while solo canoe camping at Little Tupper Lake in mid June 2006.

Here's one from South Baldface in New Hampshire.

Image-6BA58D5C57C811DB.jpg

You guys are killing me. I broke my leg not once, but twice this year. I've been on crutches for over 7 months with only a 2 week break in the middle. My new break has not healed in 4 months so they just figured out that they needed to put me in a full leg cast - hip to toes - for 6 weeks. I haven't done anything this year. I've even been avoiding my own website because I can't hike and I don't want to hear about all of you having so much fun. I just checked my site for the first time in like a month and there is a 4 page thread of everyone's best pictures from hiking this year....ugh. You guys are KILLING me.

Needless to say, I have no hiking photos, but these are some of my favorites from the past year.

Airborne surfer

Same kid on a different day

Yah, him again upside down

My friend Marcus threw a party to celebrate his restaurant's 3rd year in business. It was an event to give back to the community that has supported him. We cooked 160 lbs of boneless pork in a huge emu. We started the day before and cooked overnight. Awesome time for me, really one of my highlights ever. After 16 trips to Hawaii and now living there, I felt like I was really immersed in the local culture, which I love.

Heating the lava rocks

Putting in the pork

Covering the pork with the tea leaves

Hawaiian Flag

'Awa (pronounced "ava") is a drink that is sort of like a tea that is made from the roots of the kava kava plant. 'awa is a ceremonial drink that make you feel "more social". Here is probably my favorite photo of the year:

Brother Ray making the 'awa

Of course the real highlight was when Carmel came out to visit me. :)

Aloha,

- darren

ps: yah, I guess I can't complain about the view from my house :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Darren,

I knew you were in HI, but did not realize about the big leg troubles. Hope you heal well in the new year and I'm feeling bummed for you.

I gotta tell ya though...... All those pictures of pork Luaus, the lovely Carmel and the positively aweful :rolleyes: view from the boathouse that you have to put up with, tells me life can't be all too bad. :D

Seriously, Hope you get heal up quick and get back out there soon. And.......... As always, thanks for the great service you provide here at VFTT

On a very memorable hike to Mt Isolation in late January '06, it was hard to leave such a beautiful place, despite the thought of the long hike back to Rt 16. The sun was setting but I couldn't peel myself away from the scene.

view north toward Mt Washington at sunset

view west at sunset

view northeast of a full moon rising in the Band of Venus, just after local sunset

Happy Trails :)

Last edited: