VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was a great laugh then realized you make a very good point. I can step up to the plate and compile a list of names, forum names, Car make year and lic #. and itinery. just send a PM.

I am also on the list for a trunk load of seasoned CT Maple firewood if anyone is counting.

Blue said:
Just a suggestion.
Feel free to disagree.
Feel free to say it's too much work.

Is there away someone could make a list -at- the Gathering of hikers, their trail names, real names and maybe license plate?

If we heard someone broke an ankle, and we need medical help, I've always had the fear of this conversation taking place:

Hiker: We are pretty sure there is a hiker stranded on x trail, with a broken ankle.
Emergency Services: What is the hiker's name?
Hiker: Well, Bob, but his real name isn't Bob, we call him Just Bob, but I think his name is x, but that's all I know.
Emergency Services: Was he hiking with anyone?
Hiker: Yes.
Emergency Services: Who?
Hiker: Farmer Bob, Hiker Bob and Poison Ivy.
Emergency Services: *shakes head*

I'm not saying we should track each and every hiker route, time, etc., but is it possible to have a list of names and plate #'s?

I had posted a poll a few days ago asking people how many burgers they's buy if Sean were providing that "service" but Warren made a good point that we didn't know how many nights we'd eat out and how many we'd be at the campground so I took the poll away. I can put it back again if you think it would help.

sli74

Warren, I'm contacting Mr Pizza today to see about reservations for the Pats Game in their back dining room. I had not planned to make reservations for Friday. (Note: Need to wait until tomorrow to get info from Mr Pizza... no manager in today.)

Puck: Thanks for the hardwood! I AM keeping count. We are in pretty good shape. Only thing that could throw a monkey wrench is if we needed 2 fires due to group size (i.e. everyone wants heat). Might want to post an eMail address (or allow eMails from the site since PM will get full fast)

sli74: Sean and I figure he'll start off with 50, and we'll go from there. Shaw's is only 20 minutes away. There will be some nominal charge to cover the burger cost since he is also providing grills, gas, condiments, etc and his awesome grilling skills!!! Oh yeah, we also need to keep him in beers ;)

Last edited:
List of hikers

Last August at the ADK barbeque weekend, Bubba had a "sign-up" sheet he passed around for just the reasons Blue mentions. We put our names, who to contact in case of emergency, telephone number, and where we were hiking. It was pretty simple, but I think it is a great idea, especially since this is winter in the Whites.

SherpaKroto Puck: Thanks for the hardwood! I AM keeping count. We are in pretty good shape. Only thing that could throw a monkey wrench is if we needed 2 fires due to group size (i.e. everyone wants heat). Might want to post an eMail address (or allow eMails from the site since PM will get full fast) QUOTE said:
Just to clarify....I am volunteering to complie the list suggested by Blue of emergency info...names, forum names etc.. (the wood was a side note. I can keep a list of that also if you would like.)

Has the time for the patriots game time been set yet or do we have to wait to see the result this weekend?

Puck,
I heard that the Pats will play at 4:30 Sunday afternoon regardless who wins this weekend.
GO PATS!!!

Sean--you know you can alway coun't me in for one of those burgers.

I will be arriving early Friday morning with Maddi and Brian in tow. Setting up camp. With the possibility of a short hike that day. Dinner at a pizza joint is always nice, but the irish pub sounded good too.

On saturday it will be a quick oatmeal breeakfast, or a quick stop on the way to the trailhead. I want to leave for the Washington hike by 7am, 7:30am at the latest. Anyone interested is more than welcome to help carry me. We'll talk at the gathering.

Sunday I want to go out to breakfast before I have to head home.

See everyone in a week.

about these burgers...

Having never attended a gathering before, I was curious if there were going to be vegetarian burgers as well? I'm happy to volunteer to bring some along for those of us who are not meat eaters (I can't be the only one, can I?) I just wanted to check and see if that was something that's already being taken care of.

- Ivy

Finally got some personal and professional matters settled and since this thread is so long I don't know if I responded or not. :eek: Really looking forward to the Gathering and will be there sometime on Thursday.

I am interested in the Washington hike as well. Probably will hit the slopes on Friday.

More than willing to lead the "hike" to watch the Patriots on Sunday.

Good news for all Jets fans. It will be impossible for this New York team to lose 4 play-off games in a row.

That last statement should provide plenty of "wood for the fire". ;)

Peace.

Last edited:
Are there any other Eagle fans that want to watch that game on Sunday? Its at 1.

My hikjng plans are for Carter Dome Friday, Carter hike on Sat. A short hike on Sun, unsure of destination.

Washington bound

If the weather cooperates, Liza and I are also planning on doing Washington on Saturday via the winter route. Perhaps we will join you, Spencer, or, if your group is getting too large, perhaps we will take the lead on another group.

Anyone interested in joining us should e-mail me directly so we can discuss preparations and equipment.

Charlie

Daxs/Jaytrek57: Pats are at 4:30 on Sunday. No one cares about the Eagles ;) I'm trying to see if Mr Pizza will reserve 20 seats for us for the game at 4:30 (it's a restaurant, so hey aren't real crazy about tying up the tables for that long)

Puck: yes. blue's clues. I know who is bringing wood and am keeping those notes (I have lot of notes!). LittleBear has a great idea. If you could bring up signup sheets (and a few pens), I'd appreciate you handling this task. You could keep the sheets in your jeep once they were filled out so we'd know where to look.

Mtn-top: will be great to see you again! Spencer's group will be a fun one, and doubt it will be too large (but your call). They will move at a nice steady pace (faster than I could)

Poison Ivy: Beef, beef, nothing but the beef. If you'd like vege burgers, I suppose we could let you put them on the grill after we shut it off :D

SherpaKroto said:
Puck: yes. blue's clues. I know who is bringing wood and am keeping those notes (I have lot of notes!). LittleBear has a great idea. If you could bring up signup sheets (and a few pens), I'd appreciate you handling this task. You could keep the sheets in your jeep once they were filled out so we'd know where to look.

Sherpa I would love to compile the list. I will be up friday evening. This will be to late for the thursday and friday activiites. So maybe I could take two approaches; I can circulate a sign in sheet as you suggested and, I can compile a list from responses via email to me.

The later can be a benefit to the trip leaders as I can give them copies and keep a master copy at the base camp. I already have some responses. Let me know what you think and I can launch a seperate thread.

Also, who is on the snow and cold weather committee? We need a winter comitment here :(

Why not just have each trip leader give a central person a list of who is with them, each hiker's home contact info, their make of car and plate and of course the hiking itinerary of the trip. If a small group goes out, it will be their responsibility to leave the same info. All we need then is a keeper of the log (not the burning kind) so to speak. Puck can do this once he arrives, I am sure someone else could do it before he gets there. This method alleviates trying to arrange it all in advance via e-mail and postings.

Also, it should go without saying, that key to the success of this idea is the timely retrieval of the info once everyone in the group is back safely.

Charlie

Posted by peak_bagr
I want to leave for the Washington hike by 7am, 7:30am at the latest. Anyone interested is more than welcome to help carry me. We'll talk at the gathering.

What trailhead are you hiking out of? I'm not able to go to the gathering overnight but am sneaking away for a day. Think I'll pass on carrying you, lets hope I'm carrying snowshoes instead. :)

Mtn-top said:
Why not just have each trip leader give a central person a list of who is with them, each hiker's home contact info, their make of car and plate and of course the hiking itinerary of the trip. If a small group goes out, it will be their responsibility to leave the same info. All we need then is a keeper of the log (not the burning kind) so to speak. Puck can do this once he arrives, I am sure someone else could do it before he gets there. This method alleviates trying to arrange it all in advance via e-mail and postings.

Also, it should go without saying, that key to the success of this idea is the timely retrieval of the info once everyone in the group is back safely.

Charlie

That works too. It could be left up to the trip leaders. It is also important to get a list of anyone in the Winter Gathering who may do a solo trip.

Jim--The trail from the Pinkham Notch Visitors Center. The Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Lion Head Trail to the summit. Please join us.

We are coming too

Hamtero and Suebiscuit are coming Friday night and staying for the weekend.
We would like to meet all you folks and do some cool hikes.

Cheers