VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audrey said:
Ivy, if they don't let you cook healthful food, don't despair. Pat and I will bring vegetarian chili along with the meaty stuff.

Audrey & Ivy...which night is this burger/not burger thing? If I can be there I could also bring something veg to share (specifically, vegan).

I am planning on heading up Saturday Morn (driving up in the "wee" hours), and hoping to meet up with the Washington clan. If the weather is not so pleasant, then the Carters sound good...

BTW, who's bringing the 55 gallon drum of Captain Morgans? SK? :D

Another BTW, I am also a 5th level vegan, I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.... (not really, but it is one of my favorite "Simpson" quotes)

Should be a fun weekend!

Last edited:
Puck: Happy to leave the list in your capable hands. Thanks!
Ivy: Hope you know I was kidding. There will be spillage however, but I'm sure Sean will do his best to clear off a spot for any of our less carnivorous members. BTW, the grills will ge going for the entire weekend.
Hamtero/Suebiscuit: Welcome!
CragginCragin: I'm guessing that someone will still be up until after midnight. No worries - just set your alarm clock for the morning hike. I'm guessing that you won't get many takers or the Huntington route. We're mostly hikers more than ice climbers.
Frodo: I'll have a gallon of Morgan (or Cruzan), liter of Sambuca, lots of Apple Cider, and Cocoa. I encourage everyone to bring their favorites for warm drinks!
peak_bgr: Frodo is one good guy to have on a Washington trip. You folks are going to have a blast! Sing in in the gear room so anyone coming up late will know how far ahead (I know I'm preaching to the choir)

SherpaKroto said:
Ivy: Hope you know I was kidding. There will be spillage however, but I'm sure Sean will do his best to clear off a spot for any of our less carnivorous members.

No worries Sherpa. :) I'm sure the restaurants that I order veggie burgers in are also cooking them on a meaty grill. :) I'm going to bring some extra veggie burgers in case others see how good they are and want some. I'm going to bring some sort of vegetarian soup for the potluck as well.

- Ivy

Vftt Shirts

My post is not 100% related to the winter gathering (but close enough). I will be bringing samples of the PolyDri Shirts with me to the gathering. I will be bringing one each of sizes XS-3X. That way people can check out sizing. I will also have one shirt in each color available so you can see the options. Darren will be posting ordering info within the next week or so.

Everyone-Thank you so much for your patience with me in setting this up!!

HIATIS said:
I will be bringing samples of the PolyDri Shirts with me to the gathering.

I started a new thread in Q&A, but since Maddi brought it up I will post this here too....

Thanks to some hard work from Madeline Morrissey (username "HIATIS", who is peak_bgr's better half ), Views From The Top polypro shirts are now available to the masses. To get your shirt(s), just go to the VFTT homepage and click on the link for polypro shirts:

http://www.vftt.org/

The short sleeve shirts come in all sizes, many colors, and two choices of logo placement. There is also a long sleeve shirt that comes in green with a small logo. Short sleeve shirts are $17 and long sleeve shirts are $19. Shipping is $2.50 per order, so order a big pile of them!

Big thanks to Maddi for putting this together!

See you on the trail in your new VFTT shirt! I expect to see summit t-shirt photos from everyone!

- darren

For anyone interested in lift skiing Wildcat -- on Sundays between 12-3:30 (they close up early), it's $20 for a lift ticket. According to their website they have a new foot of snow from last week.

Great Glen Trails -- an afternoon trail pass (12:30-4:30) is $11. They report average snow depth 5-18 inches. They have a website here.

i saw name tags in a previous summer gathering's picture gallery. I may be ignorant, but i dont think anyone has brought name tags up yet, so i figure i will bring up a roll so we can all see our cyber-handles and our real names, and put faces on the writing and avatars we are all so used to. :D I will be coming up friday morning, perhaps leaving for "school" at 2 or 230 am. We want to get as much hiking as possible in lol. Carter and I are still fleshing out our options, and although we do not have a ton of money, we may ski on monday as well. We are still being pulled by the washington hike, but i definately want to check off some UNDONE 4kers :rolleyes: . We will bring our own refreshments, and probably some brownies or some dessert (carter is an AMAZING cook, he makes calzones and such when we are backpacking in the WINTER!)

And also, neither of us give a flip about football. Love to watch highlights though, and i love to play it, but i couldnt name more than 5 teams...actually maybe 7ish lol

My friend and i throwing up the idea of a presidential on sunday. anyone else have that sick thought?

get while the getting is good

Hey Non-legit. If you are prepared, equiped and ready to hike Washington, I would do it when you get the chance- clear days are few and far between. In other words, if Saturday is nice, I would go Saturday with the group and forget about Sunday. If the weather is bad, then maybe a whole group of hikers will go up on Sunday.

Hope that helps your planning process!

Charlie

Is there still a Wildcat-Carter-Moriah sort of thing happening on Sunday? Is there anything else on Sunday?
If my hike on Sat doesn't kill me I am interested. The factors are; I will have the gear, I am up there, I have Monday off and the planets are in the proper alignment. If I miss the Pats game on sunday thats ok because New ENgland teams do better when I am not watching.

nonlegit: I'd tend to agree with Mtn-top. Go Saturday. If Sunday is great, do Madison or Adams :)

Puck: I'm sure something will happen on Sunday. Just a lot of folks leaving their options open. I will likely BC/XC ski somewhere until ~2-3:00, then head to Mr Pizza (unless someone comes up with a better place to watch the game)

SherpaK,

Put me down for Wildcat Hike on Friday and Carter Hike on Saturday. I think that's all I'll be able to make but I'm going to shoot for that.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

We hiked the Tripyramids on Saturday and found pretty much the same thing Arm did . . . about 5-7 inches of snow on top of hard packed icy trail . . . crampons were useful and needed for the steep sections. Brooks are unfrozen and flowing though the water levels were low.

sli74

Ah . . . yeah, I didn't want spongebob to get too water laden from all the snow :D :D

We met 3 guys between North and Middle Tri and they said the brook crossings on the Sabbaday Brook Trail were BRUTAL so Pine Bend was definitely the way to go . . .

sli74