Typical WMNF Snow Conditions/Snowshoe Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJD

Reaction score
So, I'm about to buy my first pair of snowshoes but I'm wondering about what type of conditions I'm going to be encountering snowshoeing in the WMNF. Most of the manufacturers break down which shoes are good for different situations, like packed, less than 30", greater than 30", etc.

I really have no idea what I should be looking for. I'm a big guy and with my load I'll probably be tipping the scales at 275-300lbs (or more) on most outings. That rules out a lot of shoes, but I'm really trying to figure out if I can err on the side of a smaller shoe or not. If I go strictly by the shoes that are explicitly rated for 300 lbs. and steep terrain that narrows it down to about 3 models.

For example, Tubbs makes the Altitude 36, which is a 10x36 shoe that's rated to 300 lbs. MSR has the Lightning 30, which is 9x30 that is also rated to 300 lbs. Then again, MSR rates their Denali Ascent (+8" flotation tail) to 300 lbs., with the tail it is 8x30. There are a few more, but you get the idea.

There's a big difference between 10x36 (360 sq. in.) and 8x30 (240 sq. in.), would the Denali Ascents really be enough, or should I play it safe and go with a 10x36 shoe?

What you should buy depends on what kind of snowshoeing you plan to do. If you plan to stay on the common WMNF trails when they are packed out--you can get an idea of what those trails are from the trail conditions reports--you'll do fine with Denali Ascents (plus tails). If you're willing to break out trails yourself or if you want to get off the beaten WMNF path into more backcountry areas and trails, then go with the bigger shoes.

Since you say this is your first pair of shoes, it sounds like you're probably aiming at the familiar WMNF routes in good conditions to start off with. Get the DAs. As you venture further into snowshoeing in remoter areas and less well known trails, you can get your second pair of bigger shoes.

With pack, I'm usually in the 230 - 300 pound range. For overall use I'd recommend something around a 9x30 in size. I've tried longer ones. They give you better flotation but at the price of less manuverability.

I have not set a single toe on snow yet (so you need to take what I say with a grain of salt.)

I am in your position. Im a heavy guy (around 260), and Im heavier with a pack on (with pack I can only guess around 275 to 285.) I was afraid I was doomed to the big clown shoes of 36" length because I cant be sure what type of snow Ill ever encounter (Im anticipating the possibility I might want to go off trail or on un-packed trails.) But in the end I found the answer was simple. You see the MSR Denali, Denali ascent, etc., series allow you to use flotation fins that can easily be added to the back of the shoe. They have 4, 6 and 8 inch add on tails. If you get a pair of the 8 inch tails this allows you to walk packed trails with the stock shoe, but if you encounter the need to pack a trail you just whip out your tails, add them on and go!

The fins are an extra 30 bucks and you can pick them up at any MSR dealer (like EMS and REI and Campmor).

I hope this helps.
Brian

The problem is that there is no hard and fast answer.

Some days the snow will be deep and soft, some days shallow, and some days packed hard. No single snowshoe will be optimum for the full range. The MSR add-on tails help, but because area is only added at the tail, they tend to make the tip dive a bit (ideally, area would be added in front as well or the binding moved back when the tails are added).

Most modern snowshoes (eg MSRs) are rather small and optimized for dense snow/hardpack. (Small snowshoes are also lighter--looks great in the store...) The popular trails get broken out fairly quickly these days and the small snowshoes work quite well on them. (In fact larger snowshoes could be at a disadvantage because they might be too wide for the packed trench.)

If one contemplates deep soft snow (eg bushwacking or trail breaking), then it may be worthwhile to get a larger (longer and wider) second set. The add-on trails are a nice, but, as noted above, not a perfect solution. And if you encounter deep soft snow when using small snowshoes, you can usually continue with a bit of extra work.

Doug

NewHampshire said:
I have not set a single toe on snow yet (so you need to take what I say with a grain of salt.)

I am in your position. Im a heavy guy (around 260), and Im heavier with a pack on (with pack I can only guess around 275 to 285.) I was afraid I was doomed to the big clown shoes of 36" length because I cant be sure what type of snow Ill ever encounter (Im anticipating the possibility I might want to go off trail or on un-packed trails.) But in the end I found the answer was simple. You see the MSR Denali, Denali ascent, etc., series allow you to use flotation fins that can easily be added to the back of the shoe. They have 4, 6 and 8 inch add on tails. If you get a pair of the 8 inch tails this allows you to walk packed trails with the stock shoe, but if you encounter the need to pack a trail you just whip out your tails, add them on and go!

The fins are an extra 30 bucks and you can pick them up at any MSR dealer (like EMS and REI and Campmor).

I hope this helps.
Brian

This is exactly why I was asking this question. I'm a little skeptical that the Denali's can hold the weight, even with the flotation tails. I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go.

I think you're on the right track with the Denali's with the tails. You'll be surprised at how much the tails stay in your pack given the general prevailing conditions on many trails. But it will be good to have them for those times when you hit that nice unpacked snow. So, if you sink in a bit more than a bigger shoe, it probably will still be manageable. The only way I'd say go with bigger shoes would be if you were planning on doing lots of bushwacking or loaded travel on very untravelled trails.

By the way, if you search these forums, there have been lots of posts on this topic.

Good luck!

JJD,
Whatever you decide, I suggest you buy your snowshoes at EMS, REI, or any other store with a similar return policy. If the snowshoes don't perform the way you think they should, take them back for a full refund and get something different.

Last winter I bought 3 pairs of winter boots before I found a pair that didn't hurt my feet after only 8 hours on the trail. The first 2 pair fit fine at EMS, and that's where they went back to...no hassles at all. :D

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
JJD,
Whatever you decide, I suggest you buy your snowshoes at EMS, REI, or any other store with a similar return policy. If the snowshoes don't perform the way you think they should, take them back for a full refund and get something different.

Last winter I bought 3 pairs of winter boots before I found a pair that didn't hurt my feet after only 8 hours on the trail. The first 2 pair fit fine at EMS, and that's where they went back to...no hassles at all. :D

Unless they don't have what I'm looking for I'll be buying from REI. We're heading out on Feb.18, so I hope my dividend is in by then!