Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: WMNF Forest Road Status

Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    Just checked the WMNF status page, which shows the road as OPEN -- so in addition to the two ends, I now surmise that the middle is indeed good to go as well... :-)
    I can confirm that, having driven it 3 days ago!
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

As of 2:30 today Zealand Road and both ends of Gale River Road are open! Haystack Road is still gated.

Drove to the end of Zealand Road today and saw several cars parked at the trailheads for the Sugarloafs and Hale Brook. Parked and hiked out to the hut and back - saw several folks on my way out and several more cars on the road. Both Sugarloaf campgrouds are ungated and appeaedr open. One site had a reserved sign on it starting today.

Anyone know if the Success Pond Road accessing the NW side of the Mahoosics is open and drivable with a little, baby Scion?

ORM I drove it Friday May 16 and the beginning of the road from Berlin was full of ruts and holes, the worst I have seen it in a few years...once you get by that it's is not too bad if you DRIVE WITH CAUTION and pick your spots so not to hit rocks and boulders sticking up in the road..I was thinking if someone asked (which usually happens every year) I would say NO..your Scion might be too low right now....

Lefty's comment on Success Pond road should be taken seriously, the landowner is notoriously cheap on fixing the road as his operations taper down. Rather then bringing in new gravel they scrape down into the base of the road which yields large bounders and occasionally tear off the tops of culverts leaving jagged metal sticking out of the road. Plan on 10 MPH at best, far slower for the first mile or so. The approach from RT 26 is sometimes in better shape, although I believe the actual Success Pond road may be closed due to a failed culvert or bridge but there was an alternative route.

Thanks Lefty E and Peakbagger! Guess we'll give it another week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter Raven Maineiac View Post
    Thanks Lefty E and Peakbagger! Guess we'll give it another week or 2.
    Yes I will try to keep an eye on it to see if it improves...I know lots of hikers like to try the Mahoosucs Memorial Day weekend...

I believe the actual Success Pond road may be closed due to a failed culvert or bridge but there was an alternative route.
    The northeast terminus at Rt. 26 was closed as of last summer. North Road connects Rt. 26 to York Pond/Success Pond Road and should be open.

I got some intel from the Forest Service that Tripoli Road will be open by Friday.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

Forest Service contacted me today and informed me Tripoli Road was opened yesterday afternoon even though their official WMNF page still indicates 'closed.' This might mean other roads listed as 'closed' might actually be open as well.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

UPDATE: SUCCESS POND ROAD has been worked on so the first mile, which was really bad, is now smoothed over...still looked like a lot of small rocks in the road;
    UPDATE #2: NASH STREAM FOREST ROAD IN STARK: Road will be open this Friday so hikers can get to North and South Percy and Sugarloaf...road might be soft in spots..now we need good weather for the Memorial Day weekend....

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Update on Rocky Branch Road: The gate will remain closed at this time. Reconstruction is scheduled to begin within a few weeks, and with that heavy equipment will be present. Status will be updated as additional information becomes available. 5/23/2014

found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/wh...538&width=full
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty E View Post
    UPDATE: SUCCESS POND ROAD has been worked on so the first mile, which was really bad, is now smoothed over...still looked like a lot of small rocks in the road;
    So I take this to mean I might be able to get in there again with my low-clearance car now?

I drove it from Gorham around this time last year as far as the Speck Pond Trail and it was definitely slow going (~1 hour to do 12 miles) and I clipped a few rocks on my aluminum belly pan (intentionally installed for cases like that), but it was doable with much care. That first stretch up the hill was terrible, and the part from the Notch Trail to the Speck Pond Trail was actually in good shape except for a washed-out culvert at the latter trail. Hoping to get into the Carlo Col Trail this weekend weather-permitting.

As of Memorial Day weekend Haystack Road and Sawyer River Road were still closed and gated. Probably waiting for the roads to dry out and harden a little before the gates open.
    NH 4K X5 -- NH W4K -- NE 4K -- NEHH

FYI - even though the Forest Service page says that Haystack Road is closed, we just drove by and the gate is now open.