Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal to Bike up Moosilauke?

Legal to Bike up Moosilauke?

On another BBS, I saw some chatter about taking mountain bikes up the Carriage Road on Moosilauke. Is this legal? I know you can take a snowmachine up to the turn-around during winter but I've never been to the lower part of the trail to see if there's a warning etc.

I know at the Lodge, there is this sign: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64090481aHrCMP with the Model T comment presumably because I recall reading that someone drove a car up once. I wouldn't take my ferrari on that trail though! No sirreee!!

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

I can't believe that I got to this post before Dave, but there is no biking allowed on the Carriage Road. It is on private land and it is posted no biking. You can refer to this thread for more information:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3763

(BTW - I believe that by the time I hit Sumbit Reply, I'll see Dave's post there already. Here goes.)

Hey, I've got work to do!

Chomp is correct, bikes are not allowed on the Carriage Road once it goes onto Dartmouth land. This is at the Camp Misery Bridge, which is very low down on the mountain. The other thread covers more details.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    Hey, I've got work to do!

Chomp is correct, bikes are not allowed on the Carriage Road once it goes onto Dartmouth land. This is at the Camp Misery Bridge, which is very low down on the mountain. The other thread covers more details.

-dave-
    Ah, but the other thread asks about "Downhill" biking on Moosilauke. I'm asking about "Uphill" -- big difference!

Much like people on snowmachines occasionally go all the way to the summit, I'm sure legal or not people bike it. I won't, don't worry -- my bike would fall apart anyway. I already said I wouldn't drive up in my Ferrari and I promise I won't go up in my Lamborghini or Bentley either.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

I once saw someone go up the road on a four wheeler, two four wheelers actually. They were taking the fire/rescue crew to a girl who was having an asthma attack between the Main and South summits.

It didn't look like a ride I'd like to take anytime soon. The guy on the was getting bounced around like a rag doll. I wondered how he stayed on.

I'll keep traveling on the boots. It's a lot safer and saner.

Lightbulb Solution: Segway!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennS
    I'll keep traveling on the boots. It's a lot safer and saner.
    Maybe a Segway would work better for you. Slower, safer and you'd look wicked cool riding the trail on one!!

-Dr. Wu
    -Thomas Paine

That might work. I'm willing to bet there's no "No Segway" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002
    Ah, but the other thread asks about "Downhill" biking on Moosilauke. I'm asking about "Uphill" -- big difference!
    No bikes, up or down. I see tracks occasionally, but it doesn't happen that often. There's a summit steward up top all summer who would certainly read the riot act to anyone he/she spots on a bike. I've stopped bikers and told them to turn around and head down and they usually comply.

It hasn't turned out to be a major concern, but if anyone asks, please tell them that bikes aren't allowed.

-dave-

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    It hasn't turned out to be a major concern, but if anyone asks, please tell them that bikes aren't allowed.

-dave-
    I'm going to assume this precludes skateboarding as well.

You never know what these durn kids are gonna try these days...

-Dr. Wu
    -Thomas Paine

Skateboard??? Nah.....ATB...All Terrain Board...

Now even I have my limits. Don't think I'll be hoping on one of those.

- darren

Well, whoever that guy is, tell him he better shut his mouth, lest he start injesting pine cones, small rodents, kids....

I've seen those mountain boards on STP for sale. I'd like the wheels for it, thinking they would be kind of rugged and cool for a off-road kayak carrier. I made a kayak carrier out of 20" BMX wheels for use off-road but they are tall in a way...

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

Too bad.

More trails should be open to bikers. I think the two activities can share most trails just fine.
    "The ordinary man looking at a mountain is like an illiterate person confronted with a Greek manuscript."-Aleister Crowley

Quote Originally Posted by catskillclimber
    More trails should be open to bikers. I think the two activities can share most trails just fine.
    Sorry, but I really believe most trails cannot be share by hikers and bikers. Anyway, I might be wrong on this one, but I think mountain bikes are eroding trails much more faster, if not they certainly make them more muddy, right?

I remember hiking with our 3 years old daughter, and some bikers (and not the stereotyped-extrem-guy, just some regular men) were using the same trail. While going up, they passed us so fast my daughter started to cry. I think they warned us, but we didn't have the time to pull aside. When they came down, they almost got us.

Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    Sorry, but I really believe most trails cannot be share by hikers and bikers.
    Even as a part-time biker, I have to agree that you have a point.

I'm all for restricting mountain bikes to specific trails and jeep roads.

I rarely see people when I'm trail riding, but when I do, I slow down to walking speed and shuffle along scooter style. With horses, I get off and let them pass. I feel that it's just to dangerous to do otherwise. Perhaps I'm overly cautious. But I still managed to spook a dog once on a fire road (I think the screech from the brakes scared it).

Unfortunately, it has been my personal observation that most mountain bikers don't slow down much, if any. Especially if they are in a group.

ATVs on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    Sorry, but I really believe most trails cannot be share by hikers and bikers. Anyway, I might be wrong on this one, but I think mountain bikes are eroding trails much more faster, if not they certainly make them more muddy, right?
    Hikers and bikers can exist very happily on the same trails - this attitude is fairly unique to the northeast. Go out west, and they allow mountain bikes on just about every single hiking trail outside of the wilderness. And it is not a problem. I have mountain biked along a busy section of the CDT and always met hikers with a smile (from me and from them).

Even states like Pennsylvania and Virginia encourage mountain biking. While bikes are banned from the AT, in Virginia hundrends of miles of trails in the George Washington National Forest are biker friendly. PA has several "destination" locations for mountain biking. A good friend of mine is head of the parks service for Delaware and just about all of the trails that he builds and maintains are multi-use.

While there are obvious limitations (as in trying to mtn bike up the Lions Head Trail) and restrictions (wilderness, steep trail that are prone to erosion, etc), bikers and hikers can live together.