Screws for Stabilicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
I know a lot of us use Stabilicers - and this year, probably a lot more than crampons. The screws in the bottom do not last forever and the replacement screws (from the manufacturer) are harder to find than snow in New England (althought, that may be changing.) The only place I have ever found the screws is at Campmor - REI, EMS and Hiltons do not seem to ever have them...
So - I went to Home Depot to size them - if anyone is interested - this is the size of metal machine screws that seems to work best:

# 8 x 1/2"

You might also PM Tim Seaver. IIRC, he has a source for the extra spiffy screws made especially for stabilizers, motorcyle racing on ice, etc.

This is the brand of screws I've used:

http://www.koldkutter.com/screwtireproducts.htm

They're easily available on line, but typically must be ordered in large quantities, so you'll have lots of replacements. Not very expensive.

I found a site once about how to install the screws into tires. There's a machine you can get that does it. The machine uses an adhesive as well. I'm thinking the screws wouldn't come out as easily if a drop of adhesive were applied to the end of the shank prior to screwing it in.

Shoo Goo

Dugan said:
I'm thinking the screws wouldn't come out as easily if a drop of adhesive were applied to the end of the shank prior to screwing it in.

Spot on, Dugan. I have been using a drop of Shoo Goo on each screw, making sure the adhesive covers the edge of the screw base - especially useful once the screws have popped out and you need to re-use the same hole.

Mike, PM your address and I'll send you my Stabilicer replacement screws. I certainly don't need 'em where I'm livin' now (southern CA)!! :D :cool: :D

BTW, I picked them up at Lahout's in Littleton, NH, for 2 bucks a few years ago. There looks to be about 50 in the package. :)

Surfer.Stinky

Tim Seaver said:
I have been using a drop of Shoo Goo on each screw, making sure the adhesive covers the edge of the screw base - especially useful once the screws have popped out and you need to re-use the same hole.

So that's your secret. It was you who advised me of the Kold Kutters last winter. I've seen your handy-dandy diagram with pics posted in a couple of places.

I love using 'em, except that they pop out. I thought of using glue as outlined for tires but was concerned that glue on the screw's shank would result in a hole too big for another screw in the boot's sole should the screw rip out. Using it on the underside of the head is a much better idea. Now, if only we could get some snow so I could try this out...

Dugan said:
I'm thinking the screws wouldn't come out as easily if a drop of adhesive were applied to the end of the shank prior to screwing it in.
Your local hardware store almost certainly carries a glue for this purpose (Loctite is one brand.) It is designed to be strong enough to keep a screw in, but not so strong that you can't remove it.

Doug

There were selling spare screws (bag of about 30) at the Loj a week ago for $5 and you can order them from LL Bean as well, plus you may want the kind that are going to be rust free which I am not sure is the case with the Home Depot sort.

I carry along a screw driver and do tightens the little ones before leaving and on the summits as they become loose very easely.

There is some rust on my originals that came with them...I find the front two tend to go a couple of times per year, while the other screws seem to last a while...

Another thing to keep in mind is that as they wear down they can become difficult to impossible to get out...change them before you have too!

Excellent Tim & Dugan!
Thanks, I've got seven missing from one and five from the other, of course, all the missing ones are in the forefoot, making my descent from Killington yesterday....well...dicey.

They can be ordered through Amazon.com from Fishnet USA for $3.95 plus shipping.

I found a packet at the EMS store in Peterborough just this past week. i suspect they have them on their online store as well. 4.95

Oops, I meant Fish USA through Amazon.com. Sorry.