Jackrabbit Inn in Lake Placid Destroyed by Fire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were there when it happened? :eek: That must have sucked.

[Edit: Or do you mean "staying there" as in staying there regularly?}

Last edited:
Mark S said:
You were there when it happened? :eek: That must have sucked.

[Edit: Or do you mean "staying there" as in staying there regularly?}
It was getting really hot that night and we couldn't figure out why! :eek:

Just kidding! :D

We have stayed there many times and had upcoming reservations for our entire wedding party. Sorry for the confusion!

The owners lost all their records, so they do not even know who to contact about not showing up, so that is why I posted. I've met quite a few hikers there in the past....

That's sad - it was New York's counterpart to Hiker's Paradise in New Hampshire.

Kevin Rooney said:
That's sad - it was New York's counterpart to Hiker's Paradise in New Hampshire.
The hostel was not damaged, but I doubt the place will re-open soon, as the office, all the records, and the owner's living space, were destroyed.

Oh, man, one of the few places that allow pets...
I've stayed there a couple of times, cheap, convenient location.
That's too bad.

A shame

Too bad, a clean, convenient and inexpensive place to rest your head away from the bustle of LP.

We also stay at the Cascade Motor Inn frequently - they allow pets also! and have a fantastic prime rib special on weekends.

Anyway, it is a shame.

Rob

Was the Hostel part damaged? I thought it was the motel part. Could explain why they are up and running on the hostel part this weekend...

Jay

Jay H said:
Was the Hostel part damaged? I thought it was the motel part. Could explain why they are up and running on the hostel part this weekend...

Jay
The hostel had only minor water damage from fighting the fire. They probably doused it to keep it from catching on fire.

Backup Recommendation

I'd like to plug Cobble Mountain as a pretty nice place to stay. There's cabins and motel rooms. I haven't been up this summer yet but the cabins are like $60 or so a night and the rooms are really reasonable. Cabins totally renovated in the last few yrs & I believe he was going to redo the rooms also. It's a great location across from the golf course on the way to Whiteface but yet a quick drive to dwntwn Placid & trailheads.
also: sometimes if there's rooms available the owner will negotiate a price vs having the room or cabin empty. Not telling you this to try and jip the guy out of money but if you want to stay overnite & maybe it's a little more then you feel like spending... it never hurts to ask.