Stinky Feet sets John Muir Trail Record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruddy Toes

Reaction score
Stinkyfeet sets John Muir Trail Record

:D Just off the phone with Stinkyfeet who finished the John Muir Trail last night under the full moon at exactly Midnight
Ably crewed by two Ultra runner friends she started her supported hike Friday Aug 24 at 4AM. At the summit she met up with former unsupported JMT record holder Reinhold Metzger who happened by. She left the summit of Whitney at 8;28AM and headed North

Stats:
Total time Whtney Portal to Happy Isles: 3 days 20 hours (92:00) 219 miles
Total Time Whitney Summit to Happy Isles: 3 days 15 hours 32 minutes (87:32) 208 miles

Previously known supported record from the Whitney Portal is 93:05 by Kevin Sawchuck
:D
Congratulations to Sue!

Last edited:
Sure, another amazing feat (feet?) by our crew of super ultra hikers, yawn. What's for lunch?

:D :eek:

Amazing, again. We're running out of superlatives.

-dave-

A "Certain Someone" and Myself felt the breeze she made by hiking so fast all the way back here! :eek:
See you next year. :)
Stinky rules!! :D

Eh. Anyone can drive that far in like, 2 or 3 hours.

:eek: Wait, you were running!?

:D

-Dr. Wu

Thank you, thank you for the kind words -- very much appreciated. :eek:

I'm sitting at the Mammoth Library checking email and still processing all that happened during the JMT speed trek... suffice it to say it all went better than I'd ever dreamed it would! I'd originally planned to go for the women's record of ~5.5 days, when a previous record holder (Peter Bakwin) suggested last winter that I go for the whole enchilada... I figured what do I have to lose? :rolleyes:

This was a supported adventure, and my crew of Chris and Deborah (JMT vets both) was stellar -- without them I didn't have a prayer of the record. They met me at the end of each very long day and had the tent set up, "real food" cooked, etc. Mind you, this meant some VERY long approaches for them, in addition to the tent, each carrying TWO sleeping bags, TWO Thermarests, my food for the next haul, etc. :eek: Deborah joined me for 16 miles thru Evolution Valley at the end of Day #2 and kept me on target. She also was kind enough to accompany me for the entire final day which was over 60 miles between Red's Meadow and Yosemite. If not for her, I think I would have finished but not under the old record. I owe both Chris and Deb BIG TIME!! ;)

Weather was key, and I lucked out. On the day I finished, friends attempting to climb Whitney were turned back due to lightening and drenching rain; I merely got sprinkled on for an hour or so!

Also key was backpacking the Trail beforehand. I cannot imagine going into this one blind. It truly is an adventure of the "postgraduate" variety!

I will have a report up on my blog in a few days: runsuerun.blogspot.com Until then, thank you all again for your kind words. This is a very special place!

Stinkyfeet (yup, they're REALLY gross right now!!!) :eek: :D :eek: :(

Wow!!! Congratulations on your JMT record. I can't imagine how much perserverance it would take to complete that many miles in the time that you did it in.