48 Winter Record Attempt 3/10 - 3/18 (Updated title)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Day of the Record Attempt was successful. Pressie Traverse took 13hrs58min. Not very windy until Jefferson. Strong winds especially after Mt.Clay up to close to Mt. Washington. It was around 15 degrees at start but got warmer when getting close to Madison Hut. Started to rain 1/2 mile before Mt. Jackson. Trails were in very good condition. Did 10 pushups on each summit. Have to get feet in good order for tomorrow now......see initial thread for times. Nice of Mark Synnott to come along. That was his first winter traverse as well.

The adventure continues....8 peaks done, 40 to go....

Cheers, Mats

Missed you on Washington Mats, I was there at 11:00, I hope I was abale to assist in breaking some trail to the hut, not that it needed breaking. It was a tad windy for a while around then but wind ended up out of W or SWS.

Good luck!

Isolation update:

Isolation is all broke out.
A short ways beyond the Wilderness boundary is the height-of-land swamp. (The trail zig-zags left just as you hit it) A couple hundred yards beyond a herd path leaves the trail on the right. It hits the Isolation Trail just beyond the 2nd crossing. A second shorter bushwhack starts just before the 3rd crossing and bypasses the 3rd and 4th crossings. The last bushwhack will bear left just beyond a large blowdown patch (beyond the 5th crossing) and follows the gully to the Davis Path. Turn left here. ;)

Ice on the Rocky Branch is about 1/2-1 inch thick with 1-3 feet of snow on top. Tough keeping the boots and snowshoes dry.

Roughly 2-4 feet of snow particularly at higher elevations. In the afternoon due to the warm temps we were post holing up to 6 inches without the aid of spruce traps in the slushy snow...all 3 of us had Lightning Ascents.

There are numerous herd paths between the 5th crossing and the gully bushwhack. We attempted to block them with sticks and limbs to aid in navigation.

The previous route which crossed the river between the first two crossings and climbing fairly directly to Isolation appears unused in the past several days. There were old tracks at the bottom, but I doubt they held up to the wind higher up.

Good luck, you're gonna need it! :D

Day 2 of Record Attempt

Back from Wildcat - Moriah traverse........late start.....forgot about daylight savings time adjustment.......North Carter to Imp Shelter cut-off was more or less unbroken....so I had to pack some.....feet need some TLC......

Cheers, Mats

Last edited:
Way to go, Mats! Keep it up!

And remember the saying, "Feets don't fail me now." :D

Mats Roing said:
Back from Wildcat - Moriah traverse........late start.....forgot about daylight savings time adjustment.......North Carter to Imp Shelter cut-off was more or less unbroken....so I had to pack some.....feet need some TLC......

Cheers, Mats

Congrats on the two ridges so far. I stayed at Imp last night, and must have JUST missed you turning down the trail towards the shelter last night.

Good luck the rest of the week!

Hey Mats,

Keep it up!
I thought that was your vehicle in Appalachia on Sat.. Adams & Madison was it for us. The snow was really getting soft below 5400'. But that didn't seem to slow you down!
May cross paths Sat. Doing the Zealand/Bonds traverse.

Day 3 Record Attempt...

We''ll see if today's tactic will pay off. After doing Whiteface and Passaconnaway with Dave from Danville, VT, it didn't seem too appealing to start up Isolation at 5pm so i decided to take a rest day and revise my schedule. Only did 2 today for a total of 16.....32 enjoyable peaks and 320 great push-ups left over the next 6 days :D
Tomorrow will do Isolation, Cabot and Waumbeck before relocating basecamp to Lincoln. I better have an early start!

Good Night Fellow Hikers!

Mats

So the first 30 mile day is postponed until tomorrow. Make or break time... good luck, Mats! Tomorrow will determine if you are ahead of pace or behind pace for the record.

How are you feeling? What's the status of your feet? Many of us are anticipating a detailed update!

Wow...
Regardless of breaking the record or not, I have to applaud your determination especially doing it solo. You have my best wishes. Take care and have fun.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your encouragement and support! Sorry if I've been sparse with elaborate descriptions of the experience I'm going through. I plan to write a more comprehensive version describing the lovely tulips lining the trail at sunset etc. But bare with me for now......trying to catch sleep when possible... :)
Back on internet again. Vaseline and Arnica cream often seems to work for feet. I'm behind schedule since I had to turn back on the Willey Range due to sinking in deep with snowshoes. Did Carrigain earlier in the day. It was raining and warm at Franconia Notch.....good recipe for killing packed trails. Figured I'll be out until way after midnight sinking in. Changing my tactic and will get up at midnight going forward. Try to get whatever frozen trails I can.
Only done 20 peaks the first five days. Tomorrow I'm going for Cannon, Kinsmanns, Willey Range and Hale.
Friday it will be Osceola's Tripyramids, Hancooks and Moosilauke.
Saturday I'll do Owl's Head, Franconia Ridge and Tecumseh
Sunday I'll do Garfield - Bonds Traverse....knock on wood....

Cheers,

Mats

(I think he's planning to do Zealand along with Garfield, Galehead, the Twins, and the Bonds.)

According to my calculations, today will be a 29.5 mile day with over 10,000' of climb.

Tomorrow will be 35.5 miles with 11,200' of elevation gain.

Saturday will be 29 miles and 8900' of elev gain.

Sunday doesn't look much better, and the weather is not planning to cooperate. Be safe and smart out there, Mats! Good luck.

I finally met Mats on Carrigain yesterday (see my report under NH Trail Conditions). I was about an hour behind him near the summit, but not sure what time he started at Rt. 302, as we only took about 5 minutes to discuss strategies, etc. I do know that he ski skates well, from his tracks that I followed in and out on Sawyer River Road. He also wears ski googles on brushy trails, such as Signal Ridge, for eye protection. Although I feel that I still do not understand some people that I have known for years, my quick read on Mats is that he is one of the most unassuming and down-to-earth guys that I have ever met. He had pretty talented company on his first day's effort with Mark Synnott (a world-class mountaineer) on the Presi traverse, and anyone who quotes Hermann Buhl as Mats does in his posts is ok in my book.

However, I am afraid that the warm temperatures have turned against his winter record attempt, as the snowpack is rotting out fast, even under the well-packed trails. In the time it took me to hike up and down Carrigain (7 hr, 20 min, including walking the road), all of the snow bridges across streams had opened up, and I was sinking in 6-12 inches and deeper with every step in my Denali's on the Carrigain Notch Trail on the way out (Mats is using even smaller snowshoes). On three occasions while snowshoing the Carrigain Notch Trail, I heard the disconcerting sounds "whoompfff" as the snowpack settled all around me (such sounds are absolutely frightening in avalanche terrain, hence engrained in my brain from years of back-country ski adventures in the West). The rain began to fall about when I reached the Signal Ridge - Carrigain Notch Trail junction, just to add insult, and continued into the night. Thus, I am not surprised Mats turned around on the Willey Range last evening. Although switching to night-time hiking might help a little, what he really needs is a dramatic drop in temperature to freeze up the snowpack, without accompaniment by the forecast snowfall beginning tomorrow.

The Garfield-Galehead-Twins-Zealand-Bonds strategy is a good one, I think, perhaps better for the last day/night push, as it avoids most serious stream crossings. Such a strategy as this one, or one combining a descent of the Lincoln slide to connect Franconia Ridge and Owls Head (under better snow conditions), is what it will take to break the winter record, in my opinion.

Good luck, Mats, as you need it with the hand the weather gods have dealt you the past two days.

Hi Everyone,

It's looking challenging right now. After summiting Cannon early this morning in rain, wind and fog I stumbled (i.e. broke through constantly) down to Lonesome Lake Hut. Met the hutkeeper and a group of three (Bob, Gordon and Tim). You can check out Bob and Gordon's adventures on winterhiking.org
The rain continued but had to get up Kinsmanns in order to have a chance at the record so I took off after re-greasing my feet with vaseline and some chatting with the group there. It seemed pretty soon that the rain on top of frozen gound is not a good combination. I passed over the first six flood areas of which some required circumvention. The seventh I was working on for about half hour and didn't want to fall in six feet of slush by myself so I turned back. Even if I made it to Kinsmanns.....what would it look like on the way back? Pretty soon Bob and Gordon came and they wanted to give it a shot despite what I told them. So I went with them....being a group of three felt safer. We managed to get through the section I turned back at, but just another 300 feet further the floodgates of hell had opened up and it kept raining so it wasn't going to get any better. We decided to call it a day. Rain started to get mixed with snow by now. Talked to Tom Ryan on the phone when I got back to the motel. He confirmed same problem with other trails. We are supposed to get a new layer of snow soon with the colder temps. It seems the record attempt is slipping away with the weather. I'll probably head back to Boston tomorrow unless things change dramatically for the better tomorrow. It was a good practice run for the record. I'll be back next year for a new attempt.

Thanks again all of you who have packed the trails and given encouragement and offers to support.

Nature is something we can learn how to live with........but we can never be in charge of. The best thing we can do is turning back when nature tells you to. You can have all the gear you want, but following your intuition and experience is what gets you back alive. OK, that's enough of preaching to the choir. Nothing like a cold beer in a warm place after a hike :D

Cheers, Mats