48 Winter Record Attempt 3/10 - 3/18 (Updated title)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mats Roing said:
Tim Seaver broke Frodo and Stinkyfeet's record by shaving off about a day of it in March of 2006. Frodo & Stinkyfeet did a sub-11-day sweep and Tim Seaver went below 10 days (see http://www.vermontphoto.com/wildwhites/W48x9/index.htm).
We'll see what I do.....depends on how much backstroke I need to do :) .......Cheers, Mats
Guess it just goes to show, I can never keep up with this crowd. :)

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Hi Mats, :cool:

With a forecast of 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours in Mount Washingtow area...I think Tim Seaver can sleep confortable for a couple other days!!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck. :)

Pinpin Junior.

Thanks Pinpin,
Hope to see you up there one of these days. Traversing this weekend?

Cheers, Mats

Mats Roing said:
See the revised schedule I posted. I like to be one with the mountain...
I just hope that you or one of your minions post a report every night, it's more fun when those of us at home can follow along day by day

(If you don't have internet access where you're staying, maybe leave a message on someone's phone and they can post it)

Daily Updates

I'm staying at motels with wireless access (Mt. Madiuson Motel in Gorham and Profile Motel in Lincoln) every night so I can update daily. Cheers, Mats

Record Attempt is on starting Saturday morning.....

.....looks like the cold weather this week will change to much warmer weather by Saturday when it start. Hoping for as little rain as possible. Look for daily updates in the Initial Thread during the course of the record attempt. I've done some updates with respect to the schedule and history of the 48 Winter record history as well. If anyone is interested in doing the Passaconnaway-Whiteface-Pyramid Traverse on Monday 3/12, please let me know. Would also be interested to know if anyone has done that the Sleeper connection between Whiteface and the Pyramids lately or plan to do it in the next week.

Cheers and thanks everyone who keeps the trails packed :)
Cabot and Isolation are always happy to see visitors ;)

See you on the trail!

Mats

[QUOTE=PINPIN JUNIOR]Hi Mats, :cool:

With a forecast of 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours in Mount Washingtow area...I think Tim Seaver can sleep confortable for a couple other days!!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck. :)

Pinpin Junior.[/QUOTE]

Hi PinPin, where is the two feet of snow. From Friday to yesterday
the white don't receive more than 8 inch of new snow.

So good luck for the record Mats.

Mats Roing said:
.....looks like the cold weather this week will change to much warmer weather by Saturday when it start. Hoping for as little rain as possible.
I have always felt that rain in winter was more dangerous than cold but both of the previous record groups just hiked right through it

I have always felt that rain in winter was more dangerous than cold but both of the previous record groups just hiked right through it
Yeah, that self-serve laundry in Lincoln sure came in handy :D

Stinkyfeet was the smart one and brought an umbrella :)

Mats, good luck on your attempt! Spending 8-11 days hiking in the Whites in March, your likely to see ALL of the aspects winter/spring weather. I would take the cold over the 40 degree temps when the snow keeps balling up on the snowshoes. Second to that would be the 50 degree days when the snow is too wet to ball up, but still consolidated on well used trails.

Regardless, part of the fun of adventures like these is not knowing how the weather/conditions are going to turn out. The ever changing uncertainy just adds to the challenge... :)

Have fun, be safe, and may the weather gods shine on you...

Last edited:
Thanks Frodo!

Can't wait to get started......hope that peak baggers will be around the mountains like ants around honey this weekend :) and that the Pressies will be merciful the first day.....

Cheers, Mats

Record Attempt is on....

......starting at 4am tomorrow 3/10 instead of 5.......trying to beat the fog to Mt. Washington. Happy Trails.

Good luck!

Since you can't edit the title of this thread - maybe you should start another thread with the correct dates. This one is a little confusing with the dates and all.

Have fun!

Hey Matt

Where are you from in Sweden? My great great grandfather emigrated from Ulricehamn and my sister and I have traveled to Sweden to sightsee and hike. We spent a week on the Kungsleden and had a blast!