You mean I can go hiking this weekend?!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You mean I can go hiking?

• Are you kidding? I need at least a week!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
Not everyone has the Columbus Day holiday off. ( I do)But let's say for a moment you get a call releasing you from all obligations-be it family(dinner at in-laws), work related issues, or anything else. How fast can you get your stuff and get those wheels spinning to your favorite trailhead? Yes, the hike is an overnighter of your choice.

Stuff is very organized and in ultra sil stuff sacks for the most part...emergency gear is alway packed...I could be out the door in an hour, even on an overnight. Of course, reality is I already know when my next 3-4 hikes will be and I even have hikes and trips planned for September of 2007 - this is how I have to keep family, kids, work and hiking somewhat balanced!

1 hour, but I don't need to go to the store. I have the ritual pretty much down cold, especially for non-winter conditions...

I selected the 2-3 hour thing cause I didn't see a hour hour readiness thing....

Jay

It actually takes us about an hour to get ready, hey that's what we're doing this weekend, although we don't have a three day weekend, so it's just going to be an overnighter...... :rolleyes:

Jay H said:
1 hour, but I don't need to go to the store. I have the ritual pretty much down cold, especially for non-winter conditions...

I selected the 2-3 hour thing cause I didn't see a hour hour readiness thing....

Jay

ditto, but I often stretch it out as I get caught up in the "Re-Org Shuffle".

I guess I could skip the store as well, I have enough dried foodstuffs to keep me alive. My pack sits empty but all the gear I would need sits in its select spot in its own room.

Hi Fisher,

Also have off Columbus Day.. Thinking Abraham and Ellen (VT).

PM if interested.

sapblatt said:
...I even have hikes and trips planned for September of 2007...
Wow, you already have last month's trips planned?!? Do you have a time machine so you can go back and do them, too? ;) :D

If we are talking dayhikes, my stuff is already in the car.

If we are talking overnights, I will need about 30 minutes to select the pack, appropriate clothing for the weather forecast and route choice, stuff my sleeping bag in its stuff sack, roll up my Therm-a-rest, pick the right tent... and then a quick stop at the store for foodstuffs.

I love backpacking but I have mostly been dayhiking and car camping for the last few months.

Everything that I need is hanging in my gear closet so all I have to do is pack. Less than an hour and I am out the door. Having recently relocated to NH, I know I will be at the trailhead in an hour at most. So two hours and I am hiking.

for some reason, I tend to use all available time to pack even though I could do it in less than an hour.
All my stuff is in one spot and if held at gun point I could pack in 10 minutes ! When I have days and days to pack , I lolly-gag and it drags on and on and I'm still up late the night before "blast-off". Silly huh !

Time to make enemies....

I have to admit that living in B-town (Bethlehem NH) gives me a distinct advantage. Take yesterday for instance, cut out of work at 3:30, changed grabbed the pup and headed up Avalon. My puppy and I go twice during the week (for short hikes) and save the longer ones for the weekend. Again imagine leaving not so early in morning on Sunday, doing a trail, peak or waterfall and being back for kickoff (Patriots of course) by 1 PM.

Life is grand when you work, play and live EXACTLY where you want to be!!!!

Fisher Cat said:
I guess I could skip the store as well, I have enough dried foodstuffs to keep me alive. My pack sits empty but all the gear I would need sits in its select spot in its own room.

Yeah, if I don't have any kind of Mountain House thing available, there is always the staple...ramen noodles! :)

Jay

[QUOTE=Motabobo]15 mins and I'm ready for whatever, beat that ! :D[/QUOTE]

Thats fast, all my gear are in my pack, the hiking clothes
in a bag. In 15 minutes I can be ready if I don't had the kid
that day.

Me alone: hourish. Me with family: half a day

Most of the gear is clustered and ready -- it would amount to making a run-time call about what clothing is essential, and what I would need to eat. If I were going alone or meeting a buddy -- I could probably be ready in an hour.

Unfortunately, I have recently tested the Emergency Hiking Preparedness plan for an overnight to Carter Notch in September. By introducing the progeny, and my wife (who is always prepared for everything but is an extremely methodical planner)... that hour of packing stretched to about six agonizing hours.

The family hike was, however, was priceless.

Motabobo said:
15 mins and I'm ready for whatever, beat that ! :D

10 mins top and I'm on the road singin' my fool head off! :D

I never fully unpack my pack so it's usually close to ready. If my boots come in the house, they rarely make it past the door. I'd have to refill my water, maybe throw an apple and another bar in the pack and stuff my bag and maybe a tent (depending on location).

Actually, ready in less than an hour and most likely won't need to go to the store...depending on season. Summer food stuff is easy and no store visit needed, but winter adds a little more thought to make sure the bases are covered.

Well working today but I have enough gear in the back of my car (when at work or travelling for work) that anytime I'm driving I can stop for a quick hike when work sends me throiugh the Berkshires, up to Concord, near the Catskills or even in PA or just out for an hour or two on a local rail trail

This year I've made two side trips back home in PA, one in the Catskills & got extra an extra 1/2 day (with two more on the schedule) when I had an AM meeting in Concord & was planning on hiking Saturday.