Canadian Rockies!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
:D Just returned from visiting my friend up in Banff and Helihiking up in the Bugaboos..

I still am awe of the beauty of those peaks! We had rain/sun/snow while hiking. Got a little climbing in but
the snowfall ended our mix climbing..oh, well another time!

Helihiking is like cheating :rolleyes: ....but I like it! No hiking below treeline hardly...hopping from one range to another was pretty cool!! The guides were pretty damn cute too!!

We did do some long hikes with elevation...my breathing proved it! The Applebee Dome was at 8200 ft and that was about average elevation topout for our hiking.

Here's a link for those that wanted to check out my pics:

It was a B Day celebration for my 2 friends from Conway, NH that I grew up with..

enjoy! The slideshow will speed it up for viewing!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/BugabooSHelihiking#

Who cares if it's cheating - those are some amazing pictures! One of the most beautiful sets of pics I've seen...looks like it was an awesome trip.

Definately hard to come back to our lil ol' whites.....

So I have just one question, cheating or no who cares, its all fun. When I have been in the winter they bring you in at the beginning of the week and pick you up at the end. No heli in the middle. If the weather sucks on either day you are delayed until its better, etiher getting in or getting out.

With hiking do they make you change an itinerary or not let you go very far if the weather looks like by pickup time they heli won't be able to fly and get you or how do they work that? Could be less weather issues in the summer?

It looks like in a few cases you are far enough from the lodge where if they didn't couldn't come get you it would be a really long trip back or a miserable night out.

The guides carry bivy bags and gear to stay out, but in all the years have not had to....it's been close a few times.

The last day of our trip when we were trying to get climbing, the hikers were up on the glaciers and we listened to the Helicopter pilot comunicating all day with the guides as he was having a hard time getting to an area for pickup. The hikers had to traverse and get to an area with less wind and a little visibility. We were laughing as we were actually hiking up a Mountain that day and hiking down all the way to the Lodge road...

Talking to the guides, they have a pretty open range of where they take us as long as the pilot agrees and can do the landings. Some pilots are better than others and that opens up the areas to hike. We were very lucky to have one of their best pilots and he dropped us off at a couple areas that the guide hadn't hiked before, so it was lots of fun. We had a couple of other guides say that we hiked where??? The CEO watched the pilot drop us off on one peak that he was impressed with! He even hiked half a day with us.

It was lots of fun Range hopping...morning at one range and after lunch being picked up and dropped across the valley at another range. Our group was of strong athletic hikers so we were able to be at some of the more remote areas that they knew we would be able to hike out of and to get to a pickup area.

They kept close watch of the weather and winds...I would of loved to stayed .....

Darl58 said:
The guides carry bivy bags and gear to stay out, but in all the years have not had to....it's been close a few times.

The last day of our trip when we were trying to get climbing, the hikers were up on the glaciers and we listened to the Helicopter pilot comunicating all day with the guides as he was having a hard time getting to an area for pickup. The hikers had to traverse and get to an area with less wind and a little visibility. We were laughing as we were actually hiking up a Mountain that day and hiking down all the way to the Lodge road...

Fantastic trip report and slide show, Darlene; many thanks for sharing! Brought back great memories. :) When my mom retired, my brother and I bought her a two-week vacation to the Canadian Rockies, which included one week of heli-hiking with CMH and a few nights at Bugaboo Lodge (has a much larger green lawn now!). At the time, AMC OH (Old Hutperson) Mark Kingsbury had inherited the position of director of operations from Hans Gmoser, the founder of CMH, after working his way up the ranks beginning as bull cook at Bugaboo Lodge (the AMC huts were good training!). On one occasion the clouds dropped down upon my mom's heli-hiking group such that the helo could not get back down to pick them up, whereby the guide stepped away from the group to converse discretely with the helo pilot about an alternative pick up strategy. Needless to say, many of the retirees in the group were getting a bit nervous, but according to Mark, my mom told them not to worry, that "this sort of thing happens all of the time in the mountains," having seen so many of her sons' mountaineering slide shows over the years. :D The clouds eventually lifted and they were picked up after a couple hours of huddling out of the wind, but Mark was tragically killed a few years later in a motorcycle accident (way too young :( ).

My last visit was in 1983, when we met Peter Croft at the Kain Hut after his enchainment of the NE Butt on Bugaboo Spire (IV, 5.7), the Becky-Chouinard on South Howser (V, 5.10a), and the Kraus-McCarthy on Snowpacth (IV, 5.8+), these three routes involving close to 40 pitches of simul-climbing, after which his partner called it a day and retired to the hut. Peter continued on with a free solo McTech Arete (III, 5.10a) before calling it quits after an 18+ hour day.

In August 2007, Matt Maddaloni soloed all four of the routes above, as well as the west ridge of Pigeon Spire (II, 5.4, but spectacular route!) for 50 "pitches" of steep rock in 15.5 hours round trip from Applebee Campground (see link). In the "old" days, pitches were traditionally 45 m (ca.150 ft) to 50 m (ca.165 ft), but these lose some meaning with simul-climbing or today's longer ropes.

http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/fivebugaboos1day/

Last edited:
Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Fantastic trip report and slide show, Darlene; many thanks for sharing! Brought back great memories. :) When my mom retired, my brother and I bought her a two-week vacation to the Canadian Rockies, which included one week of heli-hiking with CMH and a few nights at Bugaboo Lodge (has a much larger green lawn now!). At the time, AMC OH (Old Hutperson) Mark Kingsbury had inherited the position of director of operations from Hans Gmoser, the founder of CMH, after working his way up the ranks beginning as bull cook at Bugaboo Lodge (the AMC huts were good training!). /[/url]

Thanks for the info..and yes the lawn is larger and Lodge is growing. I was lucky enough to hang out with the CEO, Walter Bruns and learn much about the operation and history. Walter is a facinating man and lives in Banff just down the street from my friends, we bumped into him at the local grocery store and caught up some more.

The scenery is just amazing...hard to descibe and I want to go back to Applebee and camp & climb like yesterday.....

Need to get out of work and run home and see the pics! Can't wait!

Should be bigger and better now that we aren't hunched over your camera scrolling through with the tiny screen. :cool:

WOW! Such awesome beauty. Thank you for your trip report and pics. May I ask what hike touring company did you use? - Thanks

wyldeflower said:
WOW! Such awesome beauty. Thank you for your trip report and pics. May I ask what hike touring company did you use? - Thanks

We used CMH out of Banff. They are the only company that has permission for the Helicopters, I believe. We were at the Bugaboo Lodge for our trip, they also have other Lodges. They do an incredible job and are very experienced and really take care of their guests! They are also very involved in recycling and the environment!!

I would recommend this trip & the Company to anyone! Any info or questions, send me an email & I'll gladly help you out.

http://www.canadianmountainholidays.com/areas/bugaboos_hike/

Gris said:
Sweet. Did you see any brown bears or sign of same?

There was a Mom Bear & Cubs hanging out near the Lodge, we were told to go out in groups and to take the bear spray they had available when we walked around the Lodge.
We did see some deer playing around a few times, right outside the Lodge. Not much other Bear sign, mostly goat tracks.

Drooooooooool...

All of those pictures are begging to be climbed!

Dr. D., that is some crazy stuff. Amazing!

Hey Darlene,

Your photo's are amazing. What a beautiful area to spend vacation time at. That's something, having to put chicken wire around the base of the car because of hungry porcupines.

I got back from Colorado yesterday, never made the summit of Long Peak. The weather shut us down. But did hit some other fine peaks. A good trip all in all.

Dave

Darlene - your pictures are absolutely amazing. What an incredible place to visit...no wonder why they had to pry you out of there on your last day.

Finally got a chance to go through all your pictures - looks like a great trip! I was out there a few years ago and loved it, but didn't get to do much hiking. I think I definitely need to go back! Glad you had a nice time, and thanks for sharing.

cbcbd said:
Drooooooooool...

All of those pictures are begging to be climbed!

Dr. D., that is some crazy stuff. Amazing!

Climbing the actual peaks might be fun too ... :D

Alas for those of us in the North East the pictures of big Mtn and glaciers are almost all we have of that kind thing. You on the other hand, should be more than busy for the few years in your own back yard.... :p