Trailhead relocation for Mt. Kinsman Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
The trailwork has been going on for a while, and now the official signage is up: The trailhead for the Mt. Kinsman Trail, on Highway 116 south of Franconia, has been relocated about three-tenths of a mile from its previous location. The trailhead had been located just north of the Tamarack Tennis Camp; there was no sign and parking was limited. The new trailhead is now just south of the tennis camp, and there are signs.

Some links to photos follow. (I apologize for links rather than photos. I can't seem to upload photos from Flickr nor from my photo memory stick to VFTT. Time to switch photo sites, I guess.)

At the previous location, this is what you’ll now see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/3593766964/sizes/l/in/set-72157619208772458/

The note on the sign reads:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/3593767124/sizes/o/in/set-72157619208772458/

The sign and note say the relocated trailhead is 0.2 mile south. The actual distance is closer to 0.3. When you get there, this is what you’ll see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/3592959573/sizes/l/in/set-72157619208772458/

Follow the driveway up about 100 yards to park. The trail begins right there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/3593769644/sizes/l/in/set-72157619208772458/

(That’s not a blowdown on the right, by the way. Rangers have used a fallen tree to prevent hikers from going to the right.)

I think the relocation is a good thing. I had no complaints about the previous trailhead, and I will miss the easy access it afforded off-trail to the ruin I call “Psychedelic House,” but the parking at the old ‘head was tight at best. The new trailhead parking area can accommodate several cars with no problem.

This has been posted previously, so this thread will be locked. Before it is, I'll take the opportunity to applaud the landowner(s) on whose private property the old and new trailheads are, as well as the new off-road parking area. Rather than just shut down access because they were getting parked in at the old site by the stone pillars, they did hikers a huge favor and offered a new access and free off-road parking. This does not fit the greedy, fickle, imperious landowner stereoytpe, does it? They don't ask for our thanks, there's no money in it for them, but I thank them anyway.

Most excellent - kudos to the landowners for preserving access to this trail.

Last edited:
Wow, how'd I miss that thread???? But thanks for the link!

The signs went up this week, I think. I drive by the trailhead fairly often because I live nearby, and yesterday evening was the first time I noticed them.

Just a side note - my information is that the old trailhead remains open for car-free hikers, for instance, Kinsman Lodge and Pinestead Farm Lodge guests who are closer to it than the new trailhead.

A few more notes on the new trail segment...

The footing is generally pretty good. Do note that there are still some sapling stumps. Also, there is a piece of old barbed wire on the ground across the new trail about halfway up, marked with ribbon (I assume this will be removed at some point) - keep your eyes out if you're walking this with your dog(s).

While the trail has not yet been blazed, it is easy to follow. In addition to being an obvious footbed, it is still marked with surveyor's tape. The junction with the old trail has a log across it and a sign, so missing the turn on the way back shouldn't be an issue this time of year.

Personally, I found this to be a nicer approach as compared to the original route. The parking, of course, is a big plus. I hope it's plowed this winter!

Anyone know the supervisor for the local NH DOT garage? Maybe the DOT could be persuaded to plow it out. They (NH) do an excellent job on the other trailheads, far better than most states/county jurisdictions.

Another possibility might be to contact Tamarack Camp and see if they'd allow hikers to park there in winter (it's literally a stone throw from the new parking area).