Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best winter Sleeping PAD?

Best winter Sleeping PAD?

It's time for me to freeze again, so I thought I'd find out how everybody else does it--or avoids it. I've used self-inflators, closed cells, etc. with bad luck in Jan, Feb, March. I haven't tried combining the two yet--just heard about it. Are there any good 4 season closed cells that you've had good luck with?
    Any help appreciated.
    Pete O.

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    3/4" Ridge Rest with old full length standard Orange (rust) Thermarest. I put the T-rest on top of the Ridge Rest.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    3/4" Ridge Rest with old full length standard Orange (rust) Thermarest. I put the T-rest on top of the Ridge Rest.
    Ridge Rests are actually fairly thin. (I measured the thickness of the actual material once, but don't remember the exact number.)

I'd use at least 1/2 inch of closed cell foam. (2 x 3/8 inch REI blue foam would be good.)

I generally use 1/2 inch closed cell foam (full length) and a thermarest on top. Comfort and safety. (The Thermarest alone is inadequate and any kind of inflatable without some closed cell foam is dangerous if it leaks.)

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 12-31-2009 at 07:53 PM.

I recently purchased a Big Agnes pad which looks like one of those inflatable mattresses you see in a pool. It is extremely comfortable. I noticed they sold an insulated version for winter so that's an option for you.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

Two words... Exped Downmat. You'll never be cold again. Forget all this double pad business.

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, what he said, 'cept a full-length Ridge Rest. (And anyone who puts the Thermarest on the bottom will be called out --we've been down this path before . )

Quote Originally Posted by kaseri View Post
    Two words... Exped Downmat. You'll never be cold again. Forget all this double pad business.
    I'm curious. I do not doubt the insulation qualities, but have you actually tried to deflate one and put it in the sack at subzero temps? Every one of these that I fumbled with took so long that I advised people to stay the you-know-what away from them. Is it just me?
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Quote Originally Posted by RollingRock View Post
    I recently purchased a Big Agnes pad which looks like one of those inflatable mattresses you see in a pool. It is extremely comfortable. I noticed they sold an insulated version for winter so that's an option for you.

I've been using a BA inflatable for years, but it's freezin'-friggin'-cold in the winter; maybe the insulated is different.

I use a Satanmart closed-cell combined with a cheapo open-cell; works fine. I have a "four-season" Thermarest, but it's inflatable, and I am very skeptical.

It also helps, if tenting, to have a well-stomped snow-pad. Lean-to floors are noticeably colder.

REI makes a 3.5 inch sleeping pad now: http://www.rei.com/product/778153

I haven't used it, but I'd imagine it's pretty good. The R-value is 7, which is pretty good (the therma-a-rest "dreamtime" and the exped downmat have an R-value of 8).
    Last edited by roadtripper; 12-31-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
    REI makes a 3.5 inch sleeping pad now: http://www.rei.com/product/778153

I haven't used it, but I'd imagine it's pretty good. The R-value is 7, which is pretty good (the therma-a-rest "dreamtime" and the exped downmat have an R-value of 8).
    6 lbs 11 oz and 78x29 inches. Probably nice for car camping in a large tent...

What is the R-value if it leaks? (IMO no inflatable is safe in winter without a closed cell backup.)

Doug

I'm in the closed-cell phone plus inflatable camp.

Personally, I think the best closed-cell is Evazote, available from MEC. It's a bit heavier/bulkier than other foamies, but ... it's warm and durable.

Used an Exped Downmat camping in northern VT with my brother in law. I had no issue compressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    I'm in the closed-cell phone plus inflatable camp.

What the heck is a "closed-cell phone"? I'm not even getting into the daffynition of an "inflatable camp." Maybe someone's getting into the New Year's spirit(s).

All in good fun,

--Mike

Quote Originally Posted by --M. View Post
    What the heck is a "closed-cell phone"?
    I think Kevin is getting his threads mixed. Maybe he is suffering from posting fatigue...

Doug

3 words --- my own bed ......

I love hiking in the winter, but camping not so much.
    Chris

In this crowded world, our sense of coexistence with wilderness life can be enforced by heights that are hard to climb. --- John Hay

I use the BA insulated inflatable w/ 2 cheap-o blue close cell pads, one cut in half.
    The full length close cell goes down first. I place the 2 cut halves down next pulling the pieces apart in the middle and letting the ends curl up over my head and feet.
    The BA insulated pad goes on top.

I'm 6-1 and lying in the tent my feet and head will hit the tent fabric. Having the pad between my feet, head and tent fabric is a must.

There is nothing more critical (for me) than to get a good nights sleep while out in the mountains.
    Enjoy your best