View Poll Results: Why do we buy fleece when wool is the better fiber?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • fleece is cheap

17 28.33%
  • fleece is more available

12 20.00%
  • fleeece is lighter & I don't care if it's cold when wet

15 25.00%
  • I'm a victim of advertising

4 6.67%
  • that's what everyone else is wearing so it's cool

4 6.67%
  • wools is heavy when wet I don't care if it's warmer

8 13.33%
  • wool isn't stylish

2 3.33%
  • fleec is made from recycled junk, wool is a natually plentiful and renewable fiber, who cares

6 10.00%
  • fleece feels better

22 36.67%
  • I don't care, I wear what I like.

29 48.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Do We Buy Fleece

No fleece for me..Takes up too much room in my pack..Wool base layers...Soft shells and PrimaLoft insulation on top if needed. Shoot me, but I don't care about carbon footprints, poor sheared sheep, or recycled polyester..I wear what works for me
    CATS 1668W & HH-- ADK 6338W
    http://billc926.smugmug.com/Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post

After shipping costs pound for pound wool fabric will continue to save energy over time, maybe for generations, burning a pound of fuel is done and over with, even if converted into fabric.
    so, in your analysis, you are including the fuel from the original petro product used to produce the fleece but you aren't including the methane produced and fuels used in the maintenance of the animal ? I like wool, and am using it more than fleece these days for "real" outings, but I don't think it's absolutely better for the environment.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill and Sheep View Post
    No, I don't use any down but must admit that I look longingly at those lightweight down bags every time I try to compress my -40 synthetic into my pack!
    Congratulations. That can't be easy, but I do respect the choice. Personally I'm of the "if we aren't supposed to eat them, why are they made of meat" ilk. (Sorry, just saying.) But I'd rather hang with an honest vegan than a hypocritical meat eater.

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    so, in your analysis, you are including the fuel from the original petro product used to produce the fleece but you aren't including the methane produced and fuels used in the maintenance of the animal ? I like wool, and am using it more than fleece these days for "real" outings, but I don't think it's absolutely better for the environment.
    Doug Paul would be much better at those calculations than I.

I am saying the longer the wool item is used the more it reduces it's impact thus tipping the scales in it's favor.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post

I am saying the longer the wool item is used the more it reduces it's impact thus tipping the scales in it's favor.
    Only if it really is used longer.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes4fun View Post
    No fleece for me..Takes up too much room in my pack..Wool base layers...Soft shells and PrimaLoft insulation on top if needed. Shoot me, but I don't care about carbon footprints, poor sheared sheep, or recycled polyester..I wear what works for me
    What he said....I'm pretty much with Bill on this one. Naked ducks and sheep aren't an issue for me, either.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

I'm also in the "other" camp as I'm vegan and don't use any animal products...
    Just curious...do you use shaving cream, shampoo, ibuprofen (and pretty much anything else on the shelves in aisles 1-thru-5 at your local pharmacy)? Lots of that stuff is tested on cute little fuzzy animals.

Socks=wool. Fleece for pretty much everything else. Cheap, plentiful, and soft against the skin. Add me to the list of heathens who don't give a crap about the phrase "carbon footprint".
    Last edited by Billy; 01-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Just curious...do you use shaving cream, shampoo, ibuprofen (and pretty much anything else on the shelves in aisles 1-thru-5 at your local pharmacy)? Lots of that stuff is tested on cute little fuzzy animals.
    I do my best to only buy things that are marked as not tested on animals. I've actually gotten away from buying most commercial cleaning products (even the ones touted as "green") as I'm finding that a combination of Dr. Bonner's, borax and baking soda does a good job, is super cheap and is much better for the environment.

I by no means am perfect here and don't judge others for what they do, but I try to be aware of what I consume and how it affects the world.

I do my best to only buy things that are marked as not tested on animals. I've actually gotten away from buying most commercial cleaning products (even the ones touted as "green") as I'm finding that a combination of Dr. Bonner's, borax and baking soda does a good job, is super cheap and is much better for the environment.

I by no means am perfect here and don't judge others for what they do, but I try to be aware of what I consume and how it affects the world.
    Seems like you do your thing in an honest and non-hypocritical way. Good stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip pictures

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Only if it really is used longer.
    Of course! I still have a great heavy wool sweater I wore for high school ski club (1968) but I threw out my 80's polyester leasure suit. It wasn't pretty.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Uht Oh !!!

Quote Originally Posted by from the linked article below
    He says wool buyers are "usually the more serious outdoor enthusiast."
    Here's a good WSJ article on the very subject !

What about neither?

A long time ago I got rid of my fleece as a midlayer replacing it with a Primaloft-filled water-resistant shelled jacket.

-Snow doesn't stick to it as readily
    -It is lighter
    -Packs smaller
    -Doesn't get as wet, especially after a retreating of DWR
    -As or more wind-resistant as fleece
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Live2run View Post
    Sorry, I have to go with wool. My sister is the controller for IBEX in VT. I love there stuff.
    Would you mind asking her if they sell wool knickers?? As much as I love my kilt in winter, I really want a pair of wool knickers. Thanks.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

I buy and wear both poly fleece and wool garments.

The fleece is cheap and available. But I vastly prefer the wool for its warmth, feel, durability, and ... ability to absorb my plentiful sweat without becoming fragrant in a repulsive way.

G.

N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRiver View Post
    Would you mind asking her if they sell wool knickers?? As much as I love my kilt in winter, I really want a pair of wool knickers. Thanks.
    http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product...-bike-knickers
    Last edited by Jason Berard; 01-05-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: screwed up link :-(