Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I never thought in a million years I would ever say this but I am going to miss winter hiking and cannot wait till next season :)

I had the best time this year in the ADK. I climbed a total of 15 peaks for a total of 16 for my winter round :cool:

I never thought in a million years I would ever say this but I am going to miss winter hiking and cannot wait till next season

Totally! It took me a long time to figure it out, but February and March are hands down my favorite months for this sort of thing ...

Congratulations on your accomplishments this year. That's a honking bunch of peaks for one season.

Shoot me a note when you want to come play in the Whites.

;)

I never thought in a million years I would ever say this but I am going to miss winter hiking and cannot wait till next season :)

I had the best time this year in the ADK. I climbed a total of 15 peaks for a total of 16 for my winter round :cool:

I'm right there with you buddy. I can't wait for next winter!

I do have the pesky business of finishing the 115 this summer though...

My wife and I did a small local hike in the Belknaps (central NH). It was bare ground for most of the hike, which in NH means ROCKS. You actually have to watch where you place your feet, and lift them to get up on the rocks. Winter with its "paved" trails has it beat hands down. The good news is it's all great being outside and winter will be back around soon. There is still plenty of snow in the Whites!

Still 2 feet

I just got off the phone with some one that I know at the Adirondack Loj in Lake Placid, NY. The still have two feet of snow.:eek:

Still a lot of snow hiking there.

I just got off the phone with some one that I know at the Adirondack Loj in Lake Placid, NY. The still have two feet of snow.:eek:

Still a lot of snow hiking there.

Yeah, but now it doesn't count.
Only if your goal is some tick list.

Hiking under the present conditions can certainly require winter skills. See, for instance, the thread "Rescue on Adams" or the trip report "On climbing...".

Doug

There is still snow and ice in the parking lot. Snow depth on the VH trail varies from a few inches to a couple feet. The trail is very hard-packed and icy in places. Snowshoes or skis are still required, but many hikers are going without, as usual.

VH trail before Marcy Dam
2963496670071072332S425x425Q85.jpg

Dam Ice jam
2661072730071072332S425x425Q85.jpg

Only if your goal is some tick list.

Hiking under the present conditions can certainly require winter skills. See, for instance, the thread "Rescue on Adams" or the trip report "On climbing...".

Doug

It definitely doesn't count if you get rescued.

ahh.. see.. and i thought you read my trip report out of the love for climbing.. but i see it was just because dougpaul told you to.