is it too early to start a "snow-free trails" thread?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
(sorry I posted this in wrong place earlier....)

Anybody have recommendations for relatively snow-free trails for an Easter Weekend hike? Is it wishful thinking on my part, given how much snow we had this winter?

The Davis Trail on South Pack Monadnock is clear. The Wapack on S. Pack still has some snow and ice for the last 1/4 mile, and between S. & N. Pack.

There is always Wachusett that is free and clear of snow and ice as well as the Crow Hills in Leominster State Forest.

Is Monadnock free and clear via White Dot/Cross yet? April is my favorite month of the year for this one.

I am planning on doing Pumpelly tomorrow and I am curious about that route. I plan on bringing my spikes, but it would be nice to leave them home!

Wachusetts is snow free. (If you wanted to ski, there was some snow on the ski trails but not enough to make a full run.)

There is always Wachusett that is free and clear of snow and ice as well as the Crow Hills in Leominster State Forest.

There is a surprising amount of good hiking in this area, all snow free. Midstate trail, Monoosnoc, Wachusett and Leominster State Forest are all interconnected. You can walk tens of miles of trails all in this area.

I am planning on doing Pumpelly tomorrow and I am curious about that route. I plan on bringing my spikes, but it would be nice to leave them home!

I haven't done Monadnock this spring but from my other hikes in the area I would think that the south facing trails would be resonably free of snow/Ice

This Trip Report makes no mention of any issues, and another report for the White Arrow mentions 100' patch of ice. That being said, the steep part of the Pumpelly as it climbs the north facing ridge may still have issues. I hit snow snow and at at 1,800' on S. Pack last weekend and that wasn't on a north facing slope. You'd probably be fine without the spikes, but....

I saw a post on NETC that South Moat is effectively snow free save for some easily avoided black ice on the ledges.

Does anyone know about the ridge between N & S Moat?
-vegematic

Pumpelly

Turns out around 99% of Pumpelly is snow and ice free. That first steep climb has a couple of icy spots, but it is fairly easy to step on rocks to avoid it. Some of the cols have snow in the bottom, but other than that the trail is clear. I suspect most of the rest of Monadnock is the same. Beautiful day to be up there today, and there was no need for the spikes.

Update: Monadnock is temporarily snow covered again today. :) A couple of inches in my yard so probably more on the mountain.

Belknaps

I hiked a loop of Piper, Belknap, and Gunstock and would say you can add this area to the list. Trails like Piper Mountain Trail and Gunstock Mountain trail were snow free. The trails along the ridge had occasional patches of snow and ice, but should be melted out in a couple more days with this warm weather.

I would agree with John in NH. I hiked the Belknaps that he didn't on 4/29, (East, West Quarry, Rand, Klem, Mack, Anna, Straightback and Major) and except for one dinner plate size patch, there was no ice or snow in the Belknaps (Gunstock ski trails still has some).

Hiked Mt. Roberts (Ossippee) today, a few very small patches of snow, effectively snow-free. From the Rt. 171 trailhead it is almost 2,000 feet (over 2,000 if you add the delightful Brook Walk trail), so a good snow-free workout!