is it too early to start a "snow-free trails" thread?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One mountain I havent heard mentioned before is wildcat D. I climbed with Earl and Sue today, and was surprised on how high we went on bare grass. We did need traction but the grooming is the width of the ski trail so there really isnt a "rail". The last 150' up from the gondola to the summit platform still has significant snow but it appears to be well packed down. The rest of the ridge is typical spring snow conditions, so its and up and down via the ski trails. If its a sunny day the exposure is real sunny all day so consider sunscreen.

We took the Polecat trail up which is the best graded. There is map just after you cross the bridge next to the lodge. At the base of the mountain its to the left, there is one run to the left of it that looked a bit snowier. As you go up when you come to intersection go left (as long as the trail still keeps going up)

Last edited:
I had been wondering about South Moat for some time; this morning I got the answer: South & Middle Moat Mts:
Trail is dry and snow free from Passaconway Road to S Moat. Some deep and rotting snow in col between south and middle peak, but it is a very short section.
Of course going there from the Lincoln area is a pain until the bridge opens, but for those on the other side of the Kanc it is a great snow-free hike.

Chocorua via Piper will be snow free within a week I'd say. The few short stretches of trail with snow are short easily barebooted at this point.

As expected, Indian Head Trail to Mt. Pemi is, to all intents and purposes, snow free. A few patches after the junction with the Mt. Pemi Trail coming from the Flume. Upper part of Mt. Pemi Trail has fairly solid monorail, no idea how far down it goes.

Shelburne, NH trails

It's a bit out of the way for most but I hiked the newly re-opened Scudder Trail up Mt. Ingalls (2240 ft) and then took a new connector to Mt. Cabot and followed the Blue Trail down. I encountered only the most minor patches of snow on that route.

I tried to drop down to Ray's Pond just about 5 minutes beyond and below the summit of Ingalls and did encounter some more serious patches of snow there, including post holing up to my thigh and landing in water over my ankle. So maybe give that little excursion a few more warm days to dry out. The ice was not yet out of that little pond.

Lincoln Trail

Mt. Kearsarge (south). Snow free and dry except for a few very muddy spots.

If you are in the Upper Valley region, try the Cross Rivendell Trail. The peaks it goes over are small; but with some nice views. There are a number of options. The website has helpful maps:

http://www.crossrivendelltrail.org/

I hiked Sunday Mountain on Sat. 4/30 and it was both free of snow and almost completely dry.

On 5/1 the Ossipee peaks of Black Snout, Shaw, Turtleback and Bald Knob are all essentially snow free ( couple of small patches around Black Snout).

About a week ago I wrote:
As expected, Indian Head Trail to Mt. Pemi is, to all intents and purposes, snow free. A few patches after the junction with the Mt. Pemi Trail coming from the Flume. Upper part of Mt. Pemi Trail has fairly solid monorail, no idea how far down it goes.
Well, today both sides are essentially snow free, was able to go up Indian Head Trail (from Rt. 3), then down Mt. Pemi Trail to the bottom (immediately after the second I93 underpass, before the final short ascent to bike path), and back over the summit. About 7 miles round trip with 2,700 feet of elevation gain and no snow, hard to beat these days :D

Quick question for the Waterville Valley folks: How do the ski slopes look? I often hike the service road to the communications tower in spring, wonder if the time has yet come for that.

To be more specific, is there any snow? I am in full snow avoidance mode right now :)

Thanks!!!

Slopes are not yet snow free, but they're getting there. You could very much avoid the snow though, as long as you don't mind looking at it, by staying to the sides of the slopes. If you're up for some extra fun though, bring a sled :)

Thanks for the info! Today I hiked to the communications tower (elev. 3,840 feet) from Depot Camp (elev. 1,560 feet), for about three miles each way and 2,300 feet of continuous elevation gain. I hiked up the Pipeline XC trail to the downhill ski area, then used the service road most of the time, and it was almost completely snow-free. There were a few small snow covered areas, and one longer one that I bypassed by going up a snow-free ski slope. The views going down from the tower to the Schwendi Hütte are really excellent ... I would recommend making all non-winter descends from Mt. Tecumseh that way.

Just read Mount Cube -- Another gorgeous spring day on Steve's blog, the trail from the north is snow free, which obviously implies that those from the south and west are similarly free ... food for thought :D

Snow left in the Pemi

I thought I'd post this...a friend of mine hiked Garfield, SOuth Twin, and down the Bonds and out Lincoln Woods. There is still snow left in those areas, esp between Guyot and South Twin..not uncommon, but now confirmed.

"the garfield ridge trail was almost completely melted out, except for the short stretch between the summit of garfield and the junction with the mount garfield trail. the twinway, of course, had almost 100% cover in the woods between south ...twin and guyot...and in spots i'd say it was still 2-3 feet deep so we threw the snowshoes on for pretty much that entire stretch. the drifting as we approached guyot was insane!! the snow then disappeared above treeline, but reappeared in patches on the bondcliff trail between guyot and bond...though the patches were never long enough to justify traction or flotation. there was no snow on the bondcliff trail south of bond."

Hangin tough in the Pemi!