Spectacular day on Jefferson, Washington and Monroe 3/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Well, the stars aligned. It was clear above tree line all day, almost no wind, and dare I say - HOT at times!

We started at 7:30 from the Cog lot and microspiked it up Jewell. After about 2 hours we broke out above tree line and the fun began. The undercast was amazing. It seemed to reach forever. All day it hovered just below tree line. We could see some of the higher summits like Lafayette, the moose, Carrigain, and some of the higher pressies. Our first destination was Jefferson. It took a long time, but we made it a little after 12. There were a few people already there. A quick stop and we turned around and started seeing lots of people, including John G. and a host of other hikers. We were getting tired but the weather gave us resolve to summon our inner peakbagger! :D We eventually made it to Washington around 3:00. There was just a small breeze at the top, the strongest of the day. From here, we knew we could complete the trifecta! We headed down to the hut, dropped our packs, and slogged up to Monroe. We did it! The walk down from the hut to the car was fast on the steep, slick Ammo trail.

I M-spiked all day, Laurie switched to Crampons near the summit of J and remained in them the rest of the day. The snow in places was almost mash potato like. Other places it was still solid. The ice was almost a non factor, at least to me, many people were wearing crampons. A good part of the day was walking over bare rock, or just a thin covering of snow. It was in the upper 30's at the top of W. The Gem Pond was still bridged, but it looked like at least 1 poor soul fell in, or at least postholed awfully close! :eek: Lots of skiers out and about, especially near the Hut.

Sunscreen was a necessity! Lighter clothes were too! I geared down a little, but I could have worn shorts and a t-shirt a good part of the day. I took my snowshoes and crampons for a VERY LONG ride today! :eek: :D

This makes 42, with a bonds traverse Saturday/Sunday. So close...

Remember--it is still WINTER. You are not supposed to say how nice the conditions were. BAD LUCK........... :)

Sounds like a wonderful day. Seems to me that I'd stay in m-spikes as well :cool:
Nice that you got to tag Monroe as well. You'll really have to go back and hit George on a *nice* day!:p

I love the undercast pictures! The one looking towards the southern presidentials with the Willey range and Carrigain behind is especially unique. Ike looks huge! Congrats :)