Sawyer River Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
I was reading a hiking website and came across this:

"There are rumors kicking around that Sawyer River Road might be closed to foot traffic while it's undergoing final repairs between June and August."

Does anyone have any information regarding this possibility?

I was reading a hiking website and came across this:

"There are rumors kicking around that Sawyer River Road might be closed to foot traffic while it's undergoing final repairs between June and August."

Does anyone have any information regarding this possibility?
Bushwhacking is still legal! :D

The Sawyer River Trail from the Kanc is a nice alternative to Sawyer River Road. Its an old railroad grade through a large wetland complex (not recommended during high water conditions). I did and out and back of The Captain via this trail one year the last time Sawyer River Road was closed.

I'd like to know exactly where this supposed "washout" is that is causing the need for the road closure and repair... We walked the road a couple weekends ago when we did Carrigan, and saw no major damage...

I haven't been there since this winter, but the section that was completely gone after Irene was partially filled in. There was still a sag spanning 2-300 feet or so, with a high bank on the uphill side. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the repair is temporary, probably for snowmachine season, and will require further hardening and grading before it can be considered safe for routine automobile traffic.

Tim

I'd like to know exactly where this supposed "washout" is that is causing the need for the road closure and repair... We walked the road a couple weekends ago when we did Carrigan, and saw no major damage...

About a mile-in there is a major dip in the road, with several boulders threatening to come down the slope into the road. That section is a temporary repair done last fall. It's the second time in recent years there's been a major failure at that location.

The bid request also includes repairs to several bridges that were undermined by Irene, including the foot bridge at the start of the Sawyer Pond Trail, which was barred with flagging tape a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
The Sawyer River Trail from the Kanc is a nice alternative to Sawyer River Road. Its an old railroad grade through a large wetland complex (not recommended during high water conditions). I did and out and back of The Captain via this trail one year the last time Sawyer River Road was closed.
If you do that, you can also use the Carrigain Brook Road to save something like 1.7 miles each way

Thanks to everyone for some clarification regarding the Sawyer River Road. I am aware that the road is currently closed to all vehicular traffic, but I was taken back by the statement, "closed to foot traffic".

While I realize the road was closed to foot traffic after TS Irene rearranged the topography, I am hoping that regardless of the necessary and timely road repairs, we still might able to walk to the summer trail head from Rt. 302.

Again, this is just a guess, but I suspect "closed to foot traffic" is a condition of the bid and insurance and contractor, being that we live in a lawsuit-happy society. Heavy equipment will be going in and out with materials, and they do not want to worry about running over hikers. They also do not want people near the equipment while it is idle (weekends/nights/etc.)

Hopefully there will be some clarification in the signage once posted. If not, someone can call the Forest Service and ask, rather than engage in random speculation.

Tim

I spoke with someone directly at Saco Ranger District and was told that foot traffic may be prohibitted during construction. She also indicated that construction should be complete by the end of Aug.

Latest as of Sept. 2012

I spoke with someone directly at Saco Ranger District and was told that foot traffic may be prohibitted during construction. She also indicated that construction should be complete by the end of Aug.

I just spoke with the District and they're saying the road won't be open this year; they're hoping for next year, so I'm thinking it'll be at least mid-summer 2013.

Again, this is just a guess, but I suspect "closed to foot traffic" is a condition of the bid and insurance and contractor, being that we live in a lawsuit-happy society. Heavy equipment will be going in and out with materials, and they do not want to worry about running over hikers. They also do not want people near the equipment while it is idle (weekends/nights/etc.)

Hopefully there will be some clarification in the signage once posted. If not, someone can call the Forest Service and ask, rather than engage in random speculation.

Tim

There's a pretty good path directly from the winter parking lot that runs up along the stream and more or less parallel to the road. Normally you would cut up to the road right where the construction would be, but it would seem to me that you could go a short distance farther and then cut up. Going that way would make it possible to get Carrigain even if the road were closed for a while.

We hiked it this weekend and the road work that has been started has been (for the most part) finished. But by reading the paint marks on the road they have other sections to work on. It's drivable today but as soon as they start the other pieces it won't be. Bushwacking around any construction projects shouldn't be a major hassle.

Stayed at Sawyer Pond this past Saturday night, came in the 4.5mi from the Kanc side. The road being closed didn't stop the place from being full, as every tentsite was taken and the shelter full. Nice afternoon and night out, although it's unfortunate the abuse the place has taken (lots of live trees cut for firewood.)

Two groups we talked to were surprised and had no idea the road was closed, but walked it anyway. From their untrained eye, "there was no reason it should be closed." So that was encouraging to me that it may open soon, but I guess that is not to be.

Word was, another group expecting the 1.5 mile hike carried a large, full cooler all the way up from Rt. 302. :eek:

Last edited:
I called the Saco ranger station on Friday. They said that the construction is still going on, but is scheduled to be finished by the end of the month. Mainly wanted to be sure that there was no limitation of foot traffic during the construction (which they confirmed). Having the construction finished this week would be a nice bonus as we are doing Carrigain for our 48 finish next Saturday. We'll just have to wait and see...