Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mt Langdon Shelter Removal

Thanks for making us aware of this! I plan to call and comment today.

I love the Mt. Langdon Shelter and have spent many nights there. (You can make a nice loop with Rocky Branch, Stairs Col, DP, Parker, Stanton.) I've always been alone there! It's one of the few places left where one can experience the uncrowded trails as they were back in the days when I first started hiking. I miss the shelters on Whiteface and Passaconaway, some of the first places I ever spent the night outdoors.

Thanks TCD for making me aware of Lean2Rescue, too!
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I have heard of people setting up tents in shelters. Seems pretty oblivious at best. It's a fairly accessible shelter, so it probably attracts more of a certain kind of person (lower wilderness etiquette). We found emoty beer cans when we were there.
    I've only been by it once but the group that was at the Sawyer Pond Shelter the day I hiked around the pond was one of the most ignorant groups of a-holes I've ever seen. I don't know if that's the norm there but it does seem to shelters that are easy to get to attract this type of crowd.

Now, as far as a USFS "proposed plan". isn't that just their way of saying what we ARE going to do after the kangaroo public hearing. Democratic, is not a word I would use to describe how they conduct business.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Now, as far as a USFS "proposed plan". isn't that just their way of saying what we ARE going to do after the kangaroo public hearing. Democratic, is not a word I would use to describe how they conduct business.
    Sadly, you have it right. The decision has been made and public comment is just a box to click off. If there are enough written (IMO they ignore emails and phone calls) comments they will delay the decision, reinvestigate it and come to the same conclusion several months from now when the public is calmed down.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    I have heard of people setting up tents in shelters. Seems pretty oblivious at best. It's a fairly accessible shelter, so it probably attracts more of a certain kind of person (lower wilderness etiquette). We found emoty beer cans when we were there.
    It's against regulations in NY state....
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Sadly, you have it right. The decision has been made and public comment is just a box to click off. If there are enough written (IMO they ignore emails and phone calls) comments they will delay the decision, reinvestigate it and come to the same conclusion several months from now when the public is calmed down.
    Yeah, it's an overall management strategy. If you want that changed, you need to change the people in charge. The 'lack of funding' argument can be used to justify just about anything - and the lack of funding is an intentional strategy of conservative leadership. Of course, that strategy should mean no deficient spending (i.e., that there will still be a 'good faith effort' to balance the budget), but alas, we can all agree that the federal budget deficit has grown substantially. Therefore, we lose Mt. Langdon shelter to help pay of the national debt.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

The decision may have been made, but I wrote in to register my opposition.

Yeah, it's an overall management strategy. If you want that changed, you need to change the people in charge. The 'lack of funding' argument can be used to justify just about anything - and the lack of funding is an intentional strategy of conservative leadership. Of course, that strategy should mean no deficient spending (i.e., that there will still be a 'good faith effort' to balance the budget), but alas, we can all agree that the federal budget deficit has grown substantially. Therefore, we lose Mt. Langdon shelter to help pay of the national debt.
    Nice try, but it's the same everywhere. Our whacko green leftie demo Governor cries poverty all the time to avoid doing what he should do in the High Peaks, while at the same time building a 16 million dollar bathroom at exit 18. This kind of behavior is not a monopoly of one party or wing. The current culture encourages all politicians to make it look like they are doing something, but actually do as little as possible. Look like you are doing something to whip up cash, but actually do as little as possible to avoid the sad piano music on NPR when they find the one person out of a thousand who is adversely affected.

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Yes, I believe that you are correct. That appears to be the plan, and it has been going on for decades. A few of the shelters that I stayed at in the late 60s that are no longer around: Liberty Spring, Camp 16, 13 Falls, Greeley Pond, Nauman #1,2, Great Gulf Shelters #1,2,3, Isolation, Resolution, Desolation, Franconia Brook, Carrigain Tower, Camp Hermance, Camp Shehadi. And these are just the ones I remember staying at.
    I had the pleasure of one night in Resolution Shelter in maybe 1998. Great spot. Got there early, napped on the roof and read "Never Cry Wolf."
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Folks,

[moderator hat]

Keep the adjectives a little bit more neutral, please. Funding is political and funding is a valid part of this topic and polite political discourse around this issue is acceptable.

[moderator hat]

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.