Favorite Post Hike Beer!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite post-hike beer?

• Guinness

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Long Trail

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Saranac

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Sierra Nevada

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Tuckerman's

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Don't drink, what's it to ya'?

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
I like guiness post-hike too, mainly because it has low carbonation so its easy to swill. Despite common perception Guinness is actually a light bodied beer.

When I'm driving home down Rt 16, I'll stop at Moat Mtn Brewery and get a "Growler" of one of their microbrews. I got Ocktoberfest yesterday. The stuff is expensive though. $9/half-gallon.

A Blue Moon (or just about any wheat-beer) is also really good with a wedge of lemon.

Great thread!

The six English Ales
Oh ya! Father's day found me in a new British pub in St. Augustine w daughter. They had 3 or 4 killer ales on tap, some quite light too. Stella Artois, et al - good stuff!!! :D

Gris said:
. . . Stella Artois, et al - good stuff!!! :D

Yeah! If I decide to step up from the Miller High Life (longnecks), Stella gets my first nod. Good stuff, indeed.

G.

I like a snobby beer as much as the next guy but when hiking I go domestic, gotta have my PBR (or Bud as the avatar shows) on the summit.

Yuengling or Dundee's Honey Brown is always nice post hike/ride, but on a hot, HOT day, Corona is extra goodness in a bottle.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread though, some stuff I've never heard of. I'm going to print it out and bring it with me on my next few hikes!

I had to go with "other". After a week on the trail eating instant crap I look forward to some very spicy food and a real margarita: Herradura tequila, Cointreau and a splash of lime on the rocks. Yum!

Chica the dog prefers water and a Mcdonalds cheese burger (Hold the onion please!) :D

I'll have two Double Bags and a dizzy spell, please

Two of those just about knocked me off my feet after a hike in Vermont a couple of years ago.
Ice-cold Miller High Life tastes great late on a hot summer afternoon after any kind of exertion. I don't like it any other time.
My beer selection is also season-oriented. Lighter in summer.
Bars that feature draft PBR have a smell that can bend rats in half.
The excellent Yuengling Lager seems to have become the dominant beer in eastern Pennsylvania in the last decade. Their Premium beer isn't bad and their Lord Chesterfield Ale is excellent.
Try an Ireland Parish Golden Ale from Holyoke's Paper City Brewing Company. The Steel Rail Ale from Berkshire Brewing is also good. I bring home the big jugs they sell. Just looking at the bottle all winter is a reminder of New England and the fun of the last trip.

Saranac Pale Ale

or IPA hit the spot. Now they've come out with their "Beers of Summer." I'm loving the Summer Ale, and Mountain Berry Wheat (At least I think that's what it's called!) Tomorrow you'll find me celebrating summer at the Brewery in Utica drinking it fresh from the truck!

Double Bow said:
I got a negative for this thread with no comment. Oh well, glad to see some people are enjoying it.

Don't worry, you aren't alone.

Personally, I'm ignoring negatives feedback votes. Of the 8 negative hits I've recieved, only one of them was signed. I see this as just a step below logging in under a second identity so you can flame people without it being associated with your real name/handle.

I wonder what their issues are? Discussions of alcohol are not forbidden in the Site Rules which are listed here:
http://www.vftt.org/rules.html

Perhaps the people who gave you the negatives think your question fails to be "relevant to the forum they are in." Or perhaps they think the question turns the forum into an "AOL chat room." These are forbidden in the Site Rules, albeit not well defined.

Unsigned and unexplained feedback? Just ignore it. In fact, I'll buy you a beer if your icon goes red. ;)

How did I miss this poll question for the past two days??? :eek:

Anyway, for me it's a stop at the Woodstock Inn for a Pig's Ear Brown before heading home. Half the reason I hike is to visit the Inn for a beer afterwards. :D

Guinness or Murphy's does the trick for me. After a 2 1/2 hour drive home, a liquid dinner usually hits the spot. Plus, it makes up for all the, erm, iron I lost on the trail while hiking. ;)

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and Rapscallion Premier have a hard time being beat as well.

Good thread!

Double Bow said:
I got a negative for this thread with no comment.

So Double Bow, this just in. I am getting negatives now for responding to your comment about negatives.

At least I'm getting comments. Here's what I got.
" Deservedly, for resuurecting the "Rep pt." thread argument in an unrelated thread."

This comment was unsigned.

So here's what I don't understand. Why did I get dinged for raising an issue when it wasn't me who raised it? For who ever is dinging me on this point, please feel free to take me to task over in the Feedback forum where we can discuss the merits of the system if you want.

Double Bow, could you buy *me* an ale if I get a red icon out of this? Any pale ale will do.

dave.m said:
Perhaps the people who gave you the negatives think your question fails to be "relevant to the forum they are in." Or perhaps they think the question turns the forum into an "AOL chat room."

Or perhaps they have a stick up their butt. ;)