Everest: Beryond the limits (second season)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info

I hate to sound like a poopypants here, and I love mountaineering shows - but I am not just excited about this - I will likely watch a sitcom to be honest.

I think i am everest'ed out. :eek: Everest just doesn't interest me anymore....

if it were makalu or any other peak - i would revolve my night around it - but its just a blah to me.....

anyone else feel that way?

giggy said:
...anyone else feel that way?

yup. It's too polished and contrived. A high altitude soap opera. I'd much rather watch a grainy video on youtube of three no-names going up Washington in winter.

I just heard that it was making a return last night. I wasn't too suprised to see that guy Tim back. I'll probably most likely end up watching it, despite the fact that I do have mixed feelings about the show in general.

I hadn't realized that people have actually gotten to the top of Everest. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is this one of those television programs where you vote for your least favorite persons to get kicked off the show? I never watch those programs.

It must be tough because I know it's at least a 6 month space flight and hiking with those heavy pressurized suits must be difficult. These people are amazing! I can't believe I'm so out of touch. I think I might tune in. Is this on cable?

-Dr. Wu

I watched like 15 minutes of this while brushing my teeth and getting ready to bed... I dunno, I see that Mogens and Tim the biker are back but it just doesn't seem that interesting. And it's past my bedtime! I might just be keeping track of the dual traverse thing but otherwise, ho hum... :p

Jay

Jay H said:
I watched like 15 minutes of this while brushing my teeth and getting ready to bed... I dunno, I see that Mogens and Tim the biker are back but it just doesn't seem that interesting. And it's past my bedtime! I might just be keeping track of the dual traverse thing but otherwise, ho hum... :p

Jay
I don't believe the show is real. You can do anything with photoshop these days. :rolleyes:

-Dr. Wu

Yeah, for all we know it's a horizontal piece of sheetrock and the camera is tilted...

:D

Jay

giggy said:
anyone else feel that way?
I like the setting I guess, great shots and info. But the whole Everest thing yeah, it means almost nothing to me to hear someone climbed Everest nowadays. With the high tech gear and support you get from the sherpas it's like you are on cruise control. The 2/3 that stop and don't make it are usually told to stop due to medical and sign things to that affect. And the whole you have to stop due to brain swelling or something like that and people being like "oh you didn't make it, quitter" gets old real quick. Most make it now based solely on whether their bodies adjust to the altitude not the difficulty of the climb. The sherpas do all the work you just follow their trail with ropes and ladders laid out for you. I think I read that more people finished this year than new finishers of the 48 or 46, so how diminished of a feat is it. But when I think of the guys who pioneered this I'm completely blown away by what they had done with what gear and experience in front of them. That makes me get angry at the fact that now it is more just a money oriented accomplishment.

I did meet Noel Hanna this year who is well on his way in trying to climb all the 7 summits then make his way directly to ocean level by normal out dooring means, like foot-bike-kayak in one continuous path. So that means he climbed Everest then rode his bike 1000 miles to the ocean. Not for me but sounded really cool.
:cool:

I haven't watched a regular "sitcom" full length in maybe two years. I watch sports the discovery or history channel and movies. I think reality TV turned me off of regular TV for ever. I rather watch "how's it made" than American Idol. All besides movies are done while looking over a map anyway.

Jay H said:
Yeah, for all we know it's a horizontal piece of sheetrock and the camera is tilted...

:D

Jay

Giggy you might want to check out this ONE instead. :D

I think it's perfect TV, except for all the commercials, certainly better than 99% of what's on. I wish there was a channel that showed this type of stuff 24/7, then they'd be able to drill down to less well known peaks.

If the skinny chick makes it out of base camp, there's hope for us all.

Nothing against the people who climb in any way, its 29K of tough climbing any way you slice it - 3 months of your life, its tough and a hell of an accomplishment - no doubt.

I was just saying - everest gets played to death in media. I realize its due to the highest and all that - just saying personally, a new show or special on everest doesn't get me excited like it used to. Was wondering if anyone else thought the same. If it were Denali, K2, or any other peak - I would watch it no doubt.

gonna be the same thing, advance base camp, camp 2 camp 3, shuttle loads, second step (assuming they are on north side again), summit, HAPE/HACE, coughing, a death or 2, frozen corpes, prayer flags, lets talk about the sherpas yet again, etc...etc...

I know is my choice I don't have to watch it - I actually think there is better TV out there, in fact, TV has never been better IMO.

giggy said:
Nothing against the people who climb in any way, its 29K of tough climbing any way you slice it - 3 months of your life, its tough and a hell of an accomplishment - no doubt.

I was just saying - everest gets played to death in media. I realize its due to the highest and all that - just saying personally, a new show or special on everest doesn't get me excited like it used to. Was wondering if anyone else thought the same. If it were Denali, K2, or any other peak - I would watch it no doubt.
IMO.
Worse: I think the TV show is a fake. A Hoax. I looked at that youtube link that Skiguy put up and it was all hokey and stuff -- looks like they just got stock footage and whatnot... with a laugh track!!? Plus, the atmosphere on Mars is 95% CO2 -- no way those people could breathe without a pressurized suit.

I'm tired of all these fake TV shows and miss Bob Ross who arguably made the last real show on all television.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
giggy said:

gonna be the same thing, advance base camp, camp 2 camp 3, shuttle loads, second step (assuming they are on north side again), summit, HAPE/HACE, coughing, a death or 2, frozen corpes, prayer flags, lets talk about the sherpas yet again, etc...etc...

It does seem like it is the "only" mountain out there - there have been so many shows on it that I feel like I know the entire route from the base camp just from watching so much...we always want to hear about the "biggest" - some of the other peaks would be as, if not more interesting to watch.

sapblatt said:
It does seem like it is the "only" mountain out there - there have been so many shows on it that I feel like I know the entire route from the base camp just from watching so much...we always want to hear about the "biggest" - some of the other peaks would be as, if not more interesting to watch.

I think you and giggy are getting a bit cranky here. Maybe you guys need a set and a perm before your next hike and ALL the TV will be better afterwards :) :p