Volcanic sunset, Hancock Notch, freindly fox, Captain sighting?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
An Alaskan volcano has been accentuating the color of sunrise/sunsets for the past week. Here is Moon last night at sunset. Alaska has blessed us with a lot of beauty lately ;)

hancocknotch162.jpg

I hit the Sawyer River Trail early, hoping to beat the leading edge of the hurricane's rain. Autumn is coming! The all-important hobblebush has a beautiful color in autumn.

hancocknotch153a.jpg

I saw an old logging road from the Hancock Notch Trail and followed it to an old clearing...

hancocknotch144a.jpg

I stopped for lunch and thenI had a little visitor...

hancocknotch031.jpg

hancocknotch039.jpg

hancocknotch055.jpg

Continuing along, I think I saw The Captain for the first time. It reminds me of a mountain I often see in pictures from Yosemite or Yellowstone...

hancocknotch179.jpg

Up in Hancock Notch I saw this Magnolia Warbler...

hancocknotch172.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Thanks Again for Sharing!

Thanks again for sharing another one of your awesome adventures!!

Your photos are simply superb, and I’m truly impressed by some of the routes you take to obtain these photos. Until now, it hasn’t occurred to me to venture into “unknown” (to me!) territory and explore the Hancock Notch Trail. BUT, as I recently discovered on a trek deep into the Great Gulf, “horizontal hikes” can be as rewarding as “vertical hikes”!!

Your photo of The Captain is outstanding!!

Last edited:
Kevin said:
Have you ever done a hike where you DIDN'T see any wildlife that
the rest of us never see??!! :p

I have finally figured it out - forestgnome takes pictures of the pictures in coffee table books from national parks and forests - that must be how he does it - seriously, it could not be that, because those pics are not as good!

Thank you again for posting such wonderful pictures!
:)

sapblatt said:
I have finally figured it out - forestgnome takes pictures of the pictures in coffee table books from national parks and forests - that must be how he does it - seriously, it could not be that, because those pics are not as good!

Thank you again for posting such wonderful pictures!

The wild life shots are amazing and diverse..

hey..I saw a couple of chipmunks the other day!!

Your photos are leading me to the path less traveled....

Nah... What Forestgnome does to get those beautiful shots is what most hikers don't do. He finds a nice location and sits & waits... Same as hunting, but with a camera instead of a rifle.

Patience can be quite rewarding... :)

Two quotes come to mind:

"Patience is its own reward"
and
"You can observe a lot just by watching." (Yogi Berra)

Outstanding images. The gift of your vision and the sweat of your preparedness reap great rewards. Keep it up and thanks.

JohnL

forestgnome said:
Continuing along, I think I saw The Captain for the first time. It reminds me of a mountain I often see in pictures from Yosemite or Yellowstone...

hancocknotch179.jpg

Yup, that's it

Rarely climbed from this side :)

Frodo said:
Nah... What Forestgnome does to get those beautiful shots is what most hikers don't do. He finds a nice location and sits & waits... Same as hunting, but with a camera instead of a rifle.

Patience can be quite rewarding... :)

I waited and waited and waited on the summit of Willey for the gray jay(s) to appear for handouts this past Friday evening, but after 40 minutes no one had appeared :( , so it was time to head back down the ladders to the Willey House site, where the ice cream shop was closed. :(