A Route Less-Traveled in the Presidential Range (15-Jun-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The primary goal of this "route less-traveled" loop-hike was to enable my hiking buddy Steve to redline the Parapet Trail. Since we were already going to be doing one of the less-traveled trails in the Whites, it was decided to throw in a couple more while we were at it!

We began the loop on the Great Gulf Trail, and then joined the Madison Gulf Trail to hook up with the Parapet Trail. We used the Daniel Webster Scout Trail as our descent route. We could have ended the loop at the same trailhead where we began our trek by incorporating the Great Gulf Link Trail. However, we opted to spot a car in the Dolly Copp Campground (trailhead for the Daniel Webster Scout Trail).

Since the Madison Gulf Trail is a rugged trail (especially at the upper end), it was a nice warm-up to begin the hike on the mild-mannered lower segment of the Great Gulf Trail. We made a couple of quick stops along the Peabody River West Branch to snap a few photos such as the one shown below.

P1050569.JPG

It seemed like no time at all before we came to the junction with the Madison Gulf Trail. Although Steve had previously hiked this trail, it was my first time. I was truly awed by the beauty, the wildness, and the challenging rock-scrambles that this trail provides.

Below tree-line on the Madison Gulf Trail, there are many tantalizing "peek-a-boo" views such as shown in the photo below.

P1050582.JPG

And once you break out above tree-line, there are abundant unobstructed views, such as the vista shown in the photo below.

P1050614.JPG

Yes, climbing the headwall of Madison Gulf does involve some rock scrambling (me scrambling in the photo below).

MadisonGulf_Scramble.JPG

Upon reaching the Parapet Trail, we took a very short side-trip to snap a few photos of Star Lake. This diminutive pool of water is only about a half-acre in area. But, it's a rare treat to see a body of water at nearly 4,900 ft elevation which is surrounded by peaks towering over it which are even higher!

P1050634.JPG

In the general vicinity of Star Lake and The Parapet were scatterings of alpine flowers such as those shown in the photo collage below.

AlpineFlowers.jpg

The summit of Madison was tantalizingly close. However, in the interest of time and practicality, we had already decided to exclude this as a side-trip destination. And besides, we'd both been there many times before. So, after having our lunch at the Parapet viewpoint we began our hike on the Parapet Trail to complete Steve's redlining mission.

There are constant views from the Parapet Trail, which are simply marvelous. However, it is a trail that you probably wouldn't want to hike on any regular basis. Large segments of the trail consist of huge chunks of uneven talus which makes for challenging footing. However, there are some segments that are relatively mild-mannered such as shown in the photo below.

P1050659.JPG

Upon arriving at the Osgood Trail this signaled the end of the redlining mission. Also at this same trail junction is the western terminus of the Daniel Webster Scout Trail which is the route we'd use for our descent. This trail was also brand new to me, but Steve had hiked it once before several years ago.

P1050665.JPG

Just as the WMG indicates, the upper portion of this trail is challenging. There is nearly a mile's worth of trekking over large, uneven talus, which is complicated by a very steep terrain. However, this upper portion of trail does provide nice views of the Howker Ridge with the unique bumps known as the "Howks". One of the Howks (unofficially known as the Fourth Howk) has an elevation of 4,315 ft, but an insufficient depth of col prevents it from being recognized as one of the NH 4K peaks.

Below is a photo of the "Howks" along the Howker Ridge.

P1050673.JPG

Also from the upper portion of the Daniel Webster Scout Trail, there are also some pretty good views of the Carter Notch area, as shown in the slightly zoomed photo below.

P1050681.JPG

This was a very enjoyable adventure with the added attraction of Steve completing his mission to redline the Parapet Trail. Plus, it provided me with the opportunity to hike 3 trails that were completely brand new to me, i.e. the Madison Gulf Trail, the Parapet Trail, and the Daniel Webster Scout Trail.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great report and excellent photos. And way to pick an awesome day for some hiking. Thanks for the story!

ooooooooooooooh, what a great shot of the Howks John, minus all the civilized "clutter" in the background. Pine Mt looks neat from the angle too. Beautiful day (jealous, it rained on me last week), thanks for the TR!

Looks like you had a great day for it. Thanks for sharing! Love the "peek-a-boo" shot the best.
It was a great day for it! The "peek-a-boo" shot was taken in the earlier part of the trek before the haze crept in. Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not complaining about the haze. We had great views all day long, but they were much crisper at the front-end of the hike.
Great shots from your hike -- in looking at them, I feel like I'm actually there . . . Ahhhh...but Osgood Junction (the intersection of the DWS and Osgood Trails) . . . reminds me of heading up the Osgood Trail at sunrise for views of Washington, Adams, and Madison.
Clay, I was thinking of you when we were at that junction since I knew you were up there a number of times this past winter. I'm certain it was quite a different vista then. Do you happen to have a snapshot of those particular signposts that was taken during your winter treks?
Awesome! If you really want a route less traveled, talk to BikeHikeSkiFish!
It is with some hesitation that I include these trails on the 100 mile trip to Washington . . .
Tom & Tim: Talk about "redlining"! Taking that 100-mile route to Mt. Washington (described in your recent post) might really be helpful to some folks in achieving their redlining goals!:rolleyes::D
Great report and excellent photos. And way to pick an awesome day for some hiking. Thanks for the story!
Thanks Tyler. You do some terrific hikes yourself, and your reports are always a good read.
ooooooooooooooh, what a great shot of the Howks John, minus all the civilized "clutter" in the background. Pine Mt looks neat from the angle too. Beautiful day (jealous, it rained on me last week), thanks for the TR!
Hey Scott . . . yes I know exactly what you mean about the "civilized clutter" that can be seen in the snapshot of the Howks. The early explorers "way back when" must have had some awesome uncluttered views.

Sorry you had such poor weather last week. I thought about you, and hoped you weren't getting too damp!:(

Last edited:
Always a pleasure to read your posts and view your pictures. You seem to have a knack for finding those out of the way gems. Keep them coming as it makes the workweek easier to take.

Great report and photos as usual, John! The Madison Gulf trail is a favorite of mine (especially when you pop up at the top and realize that it is finally over!!) :D:cool:

Always a pleasure to read your posts and view your pictures. You seem to have a knack for finding those out of the way gems. Keep them coming as it makes the workweek easier to take.
Skip . . . thanks for the kind words . . . much appreciated! And, it's good to hear that Trip Reports like these helps to make the workweek easier. Everyone needs some help when it comes to that!;):D
John,
After a terrific vacation in Maine last week; upon seeing your pictures and reading your report, I am once again getting the "itch" for NH.
It's great to hear that you guys had a terrific vacation in ME. Glad you enjoyed the trip report. Thanks for taking a moment to post a reply!
Dang -- I don't have a shot of the signs at Osgood Junction (I was usually hurrying to get in position for sunrise further up the trail near Madison). But, I'll get one this coming winter...yes, indeedy, I will.
No problem Clay . . . I can certainly understand why stopping to snap a photo of a sign post might not be upper most in your mind during your winter quest for sunrise photos!:)
Great report and photos as usual, John! The Madison Gulf trail is a favorite of mine (especially when you pop up at the top and realize that it is finally over!!)
Thanks Chris for your reply. Yup, now having done the Madison Gulf Trail, I can definitely understand why it would be a favorite. It's very scenic, and very wild, and the rock scrambles are a fun challenge.

thumbs up!!

Good lord John

Up Madison Gulf, across the Parapet trail, and down the Boy Scout trail. You must have been hurtin' the day after. Well, I know I would have been... Ok, I haven't hiked any of those trails, but they sound like knee and foot killers!!

I love the sneak-a-view shot. I don't have any experience hiking these rough and tumble northern Presidential trails. Perhaps I should some day. All I've hiked is Madison, and I took the standard "easy" way up the Valley Way. Your pics (as well as Steve's on his hiking blog) make me want to get up there. Thanks!

grouseking

Great TR and photos!
I was wondering what Star Lake looked like and whether I would make a side trip to it this summer. I just might. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the kind words!
Also, I know what you mean about Star Lake. Up until this hike, I'd only seen it by looking down at it. It was great to finally see this lake up close.
Good lord John . . . Up Madison Gulf, across the Parapet trail, and down the Boy Scout trail. You must have been hurtin' the day after. Well, I know I would have been... Ok, I haven't hiked any of those trails, but they sound like knee and foot killers!! . . . Your pics (as well as Steve's on his hiking blog) make me want to get up there.
Hey Phil . . . thanks for your reply.
Other than the Great Gulf Trail, all the trails were new to me, and so I was uncertain how difficult I'd personally find these trails to be.
I was very pleasantly surprised as to how manageable they were. From my perspective, I think the talus on the upper third or so of the Scout Trail was the most challenging part of the entire trek. But, that could be due to any number of factors, such as it was the end of the day. Plus, there's nearly a mile's worth of tedious picking your way through that stuff, and doing that on a steep terrain just adds an extra layer of challenge!

Last edited: