Arsonists target Dillon in Success

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HighHorse said:
The word terrorist has got to be one of the most overly used, and worse, inappropriately used, words in modern day American English.
Perhaps, but in this case it seems pretty appropriate.

-dave-

actually dave, i'll disagree at the likely peril of attracting more red squares (bring 'em on if that's your inclination)...

after reviewing the facts that are known thus far, it is my contention that the following words would be far more appropriate than the word terrorist:

vandal
arsonist
and let's throw "bumface" in for good measure.

HighHorse said:
actually dave, i'll disagree at the likely peril of attracting more red squares (bring 'em on if that's your inclination)...
Nope, I don't use reputation points when I disagree with someone.

It really depends on the purpose of the act. If it was just to watch something burn, I'd agree that it was arson or vandalism. If the point is to prevent someone from doing a legal activity with their own property, and to send a message that if you continue what you are doing then we'll burn more equipment or even threaten your person (which I might feel if this happened to my equipment) then I think the terrorist label is correct.

Once you start trying to cow people into following your agenda by acts of threat (and arson is a pretty large threat) then I think the label fits. The act wasn't in isolation, there is a history here including previous acts of arson.

Of course that's all assuming this is part of a group trying to stop the logging in the area. If it is simple arson (certainly a possibility) then I agree that it is not terrorism in any way, just increadibly stupid. I'm assuming that this is a continuation of the previous threats.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Nope, I don't use reputation points when I disagree with someone.

i appreciate that. it was unclear from my post, but my invitation to redboxers was a general one and not leveled at you personally.

a few referees red-carded me for my politicization of the topic. yet the topic is inherently political. as environmental conditions worsen (as they inevitably will), and if the US government continues to persue "do-nothing" (or worse oil-subsidy) environmental policies, we'll see more and more "reasonable" folks employing radical means to protect the natural environment that they love. as a country, and as a world, we should be feeling the urgency of our reckless practices, but we do not. the language of "rights," "property" and "law" are in this day and age all too often invoked in ways that are at odds with what is good for ALL people, especially future generations. arguments defending problematic practices often use these ideas to defend themselves; the logic is specious and familiar, but everyday it is more apparent that it is short-sighted and wrong. we enjoy our mountains now, but what will they be like in 20 years? 50 years? 100?

that part was not directed at you, mr. metsky, it was simply my take on why this is actually relevant. there seems to be a feeling on VFTT that anything political has no place on this site (some of my negatives were born of this logic). i say that's rubbish. what's more important, another presidential traverse topic or a sober and real discussion about environmental stewardship that may result in a bit of murky water when politics become involved? i find the prevailing attitude troubling.

i think the main reason we disagree dave, is that i am unconvinced that destruction of property (without the threat of destruction of life) is terrorism. even if these acts were inspired by an anti-logger (which is FAR from known), there was never any threat to a person. a home was not burned, COMMERCIAL vehicles were burned. the threat was not intended for a person, in fact the act went to great lengths to avoid endangering people. to my knowledge, "ecoterrorists" (a term i obviously find problematic) haven't done much killing of people despite the great amount of property damage they have amassed in their nascent history in the US. are the AMC sign defacers too terrorists? in contrast to our protagonists in this story, their actions are unquestionably political; the only difference in the two is then the scale of the damages.

the label terrorist is to my mind a severe overstatement in this case, especially viewed in light of the massive loss of life seen a few days ago. i stick to my original statement that the label is often carelessly and uncritically used (as it was in this context).

Last edited:
HighHorse said:
more "reasonable" folks employing radical means to protect the natural environment that they love. .

"Reasonable people"??? Are you kidding?

How would you like it if some "resonable" person was angry about the environmental impact of hiking and driving cars and decided to torch your car at the trailhead?

The loggers aren't destroying the Earth. Eco-warriors are emotional and brain-washed, and such terrorist activity destroys the credibility of normal people who are trying hard to conserve wild places. :mad:

nice knee-jerk reaction, forestnome. please reread my post; i was not calling these people reasonable (notice the quotes ?), and the point was discussing a potentially troubling trend in the radicalization of environmental activism spurned by alienation and a (justified, if perversely employed) sense of environmental urgency.

HH, I reread your post, and I still get a sense of sympathy for the terrorists, and disdain for private property rights.

I'm not into flaming back and forth on this board. You should take it over to D.U., where I'm sure there are like minds. ;)

Way over this thread. Happy Trails :)

forestnome, what do you mean by D.U.? That went over my head.

Funny how everyone jumps to the conclusion that somehow people opposed to logging are involved, when disgruntled, laid-off workers or owners solving their money problems seem just as likely. I suppose the editors of the paper have to play to their audience.

I also wonder about the statement by a local official that Dillon pays a lot of money in workman's comp. Does that mean they have lots of injuries, and the Berlin hospital needs the business? I don't get it.

I agree that unless the equipment was booby trapped into exploding when the operator performed some act, or was torched while being operated, it's not terrorism.

Raymond said:
forestnome, what do you mean by D.U.? That went over my head..

Sorry, Darren, last post on this thread...

Democrat Underground (D.U.) is a board for angry leftists, a fun read.

HH states that his use of quotaion marks around the adjective "reasonable" shows that he does not consider it reasonable, but he goes on to describe the actions as "justified". The sympathy is then thinly veiled by the word "perverse". The "sense of environmental urgency" speaks volumes. This is classic phrasiology of environmental extremists, who do a great disservice to environmental conservation. These people destroy the voice of normal concerned citizens. If I'm wrong, then I apologize to HH. But I doubt it.

Dave Metsky(as usual) puts it consicely; if it was an act to intimidate someone into, or out of, a certain action or practice, then it is terrorism. That fact that noone died is irrelevent. It is the intent to intimidate by thuggery. If it was me I'd fear for my life.

Last edited:
FYI - Statement of fact, not opinion: Standard police terrorism training includes "environmental terrorists."

Statement of opinion, not fact: We all know what real terrorism is.

There are a lot of words that can describe what the person(s) who set the fires . Some I cannot use here. But in this case it is a act of terrorism . Mabye HH does not know this but far too often the people who do thease things are the same type who will spike a tree or sabotage equipent causing severe injury or death to the operator. who is just some guy tring to make a living . I have never had it happned to me but I have hit nails from a old tree house. With the type of saw I use I was fortunate that nothing happend to me as usually hitting a nail with a saw casues it to " kick back " and hit the opperator.This is wrong and is a act of terrorism it is intended to frighten and intimidate people into submiting to the agenda of a small but fanatical group . I disagree with what Dillon does and I think that Land Liqidating makes all logging look bad.
That being said If some one were to set fire or other wise deystroy my land or equipment , I would close my land to all public acces. I doubt it was a disgrunlted person as Dillons contractor employs locals . He would pay a lot into Workmans Comp because logging is a extreamly dangerous and ther are alot of injuries. Dillon also pays a lot in local porperty taxes . Raymond if you had any idea how much equipment cost you might have a differnt view The contrator will have to replace it and although he may well be insured it takes time and that is money . The fire could have spread and threatend peoples homes. It was a deliberate act to intimidate. This does not mean I agree with what they are doing
In the Dillon case it means The Mahoosucs . A area alot of us enjoy hiking in . By even showing sypmathy to the cause of the nut case who set the fire you only make the cause of protecting the enviorment look bad and just futher any sympathy for some one like Dillon and his version of logging .
Unfortuanly it is Dillons Porperty It had been for sale ro some time he bought it and is now timbering it and eventually willl sell it off. More than likely to developers who will pay the most for it .
The bad part is it is very possible that for most hiking in the Mahooscus will be shut off . In case people do not know Success is well, right near Sucess Pond. The area encompasses many of the trails off Sucess Pond road.
The person or persons who did this should be locked up in state prison for a good long time they not only hurt Dillon but every one in the area and hikers , hunters ect who use and enjoy that area .

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, I spoke to two friends who live in the Berlin area, they told me that most folks there think it was an act of revenge by a disgruntled worker, something that happens quite a bit.

dms said:
For whatever it's worth, I spoke to two friends who live in the Berlin area, they told me that most folks there think it was an act of revenge by a disgruntled worker, something that happens quite a bit.
If that's the case than I agree it's simple arson (still exceeding stupid and dangerous). But it's still early, the investigation is still underway I'm sure. Common knowledge is often wrong as well, hopefully they'll catch the person/people responsible and we'll know for sure.

-dave-

Dave, for the hiking community's interests, let's hope the "common knowledge" is correct here in this instance!

HighHorse said:
... we enjoy our mountains now, but what will they be like in 20 years? 50 years? 100? ...

If you want to see what they'll be like in 20-50-100 years look at them now and consider the logging practices of 20-50-100 years ago. Given current logging practices and the tremendous research on forestry, there is good reason to be very optimistic about the future of our mountains.

The logic of eco-terrorists is as hard to comprehend and accept as is the logic of jihad terrorists, especially living in a democracy where many stakeholders have an interest in an issue.

For my part, I think that harvesting timber in a sustainable way is good for the environment in the long term and global perspective. I only wish there were more hardwood growth. What's the alternative? Raiding the rain forests and increasing petroleum based substitues for wood products?

Stan You mention you wanted to see more hard wood growth. Logging in a sustainble way promotes hard wood growth. I just walked trough a small two acre cut I made about 5 years ago. It has become full of maples oak and birch and lots of small plants of all sorts . Since I made the cut the bird population in te area has increased along with other wildlife.
part of the reason our fall foliaige is so colorful and vaired is directly due to logging. when the frsit Europeans arrived hear. most of the forest was white pine and hemlock.
There is not as much hard wood north fo the notches due to the enviorment. Most of it is beech, maple and birch.
Spruce and other coniferous trees are the predominate species in that region. .

Last edited:
Stan said:
Given current logging practices and the tremendous research on forestry, there is good reason to be very optimistic about the future of our mountains.

For my part, I think that harvesting timber in a sustainable way is good for the environment in the long term and global perspective.

Spoken like you know what you are talking about!

spencer