2004 .... 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been wonderful year for hiking. Finished the 46 in August with my wonderful wife Joanne, did lots of non-46 hikes in the Adirondacks, hiked in NC, and have met some absolutely wonderful people to hike with! I hope to meet more people here. Looking forward (a little nervously) to doing some winter peak climbing, something relatively new to me. Also looking forward to more Adirondack hiking next summer, as well as in VT and NH. I'll also be hiking in Europe, and canoeing on the French and Allagash rivers.

Was stuck close to home, but still managed 88 peaks, including 63 assorted 4K's. :D

Winter Highlights:
New Years Day at Times Square ... Santanoni in biting snow.
Algonquin to Iroquois and back on a blue-bird day.
Gothics on a warm and delightful Leap Day.
Marcy-Gray-Skylight season ender in 9:52 seeing only one other party up top!

Summer Highlights:
Solo backpacking traverse of the Adirondacks.
Sunrise on Skylight, breakfast on Marcy, and lunch on Haystack. Nice day!
MacNaugton (only took six months to be able to call it a highlight!)
Catamount's Roost
Grilled Cheese and Pints of Guinness on Street to celebrate S46!
Boreas
Mansfield for the first time
My first Pemi loop in impeccable weather, hiking empty trails and lounging atop people-less peaks, ending with an empty Franconia Ridge walk! Love NH!
The Jays
14 more solo ADKS, another list within sniffing distance...

Happy New Years everyone! Hope to see and meet more of you next year! Maybe I'll even make it to one of the gatherings...

Happy Winter, as well ... 5 days and counting!

Rick said:
04 was a terrific year for me (there all terrific if you can reminisce) I Completed Section hiking the AT in PA and NJ. I was supposed to go back to AK to help out with a commercial group, but a new job beckoned so I packed up the family and moved to Massachusetts in late summer.

Hey, By the way, how the hell do all you Massachusetters get by with the huge property, motor vehicle and state income taxes, highway robbery auto insurance and crappy roads? oh yeah, and all the people that pull out right in front of you ?? This is definitely a new one on me-I am used to Jersey drivers who are MUCH more polite!! ;)

Live up in NH for awhile, then in comparison the property taxes down here will seem tame. Although with the income tax and sales tax, it probably evens out, although in Mass, the bleeding is so gradual you don't notice it as much. :rolleyes: Ditto the roads.

As for the drivers, just spend a day driving in Boston, and the drivers around Fitchburg/Leominster will seem downright polite.

Mark

Last edited:
2004 was an awsome year for me.

- Hiking the Devils Path in 9 hrs 40 min. (What was I thinking)
-Finally meeting some VFTT'ers
-Quitting a terrible job
-Became a father and getting hired as A Park Ranger all in one week.
-Of course, got a ton of XC skiing and hiking in.
-Having only 3 Catskill 3500 peaks left

In 2005 I hope
-Finish my last 3 Catskill peaks
-Getting out of the Police academy :eek:
-Hope my body and the academy allows me to XC ski and snowshoe this winter. :(
-Get more sleep

2004: A lot of ups and downs. I also managed to get some hiking in. Kind of an off year, most of it in pain. Still managed to tackle nearly 40 High Peaks in the Adirondacks, Whites, Maine, and Catskills.

Best of all: setting a new record for most shared avatars ;) and having the best friends in the world! It is truly amazing how many people from this site I've met on the trails, around a campfire, or at the Station.

2005 goal: put a serious dent in the remaining 115 list, summit Katahdin's Baxter and Hamlin Peaks in winter, ski across BSP, have a blast at the winter Gathering!

Great thread, It's fun to hear how everyone "did" this year, even though it feels like I lived through most of it with you all already (since I followed along in the TR section all year long), but it's nice to see it all condensed like.

For me, 2004 was a GREAT YEAR :
  • Proudly watched my 11 y/o "little princess" and 13 y/o son step up onto their 46th ADK summit, just moments before my wife and I stepped up onto ours.
  • Was honored to accompany Tom (Masshysteria) and Doug (Hillman1) on their respective 46-R completions on Basin and Allen.
  • Met and hiked with some of the coolest people I've ever met. All fellow VFTTers: Tom (Masshysteria), Brian (Bushwhacker), Spencer (Peak_bgr), Bruce (AlpineSummit), Doug (Hillman1), Phil (Prino), Bob (AlG), and the nameless one, LURKETTE :). All of whom I sincerely hope I get to hike with again.
  • Did some serious hardcore bushwacking with some of those same folks above, and had a great time doing it.
  • Zigged, when we should have zagged and ended up "discovering" an alternative bushwhack slide up Basin with Tom (Masshysteria) & Brian (Bushwhacker).
  • Passed 50 on my ADK100 list, reached 24 on my 46-R round 2, reached 7 on my 46-B list.

In addition to that, I've also been fortunate to have met and swapped information, tales and even a drink or two with several fellow VFTT's including: Christine (who besides knowing everything about the Adirondacks, is just about a nice as they come :) ), Big Moose, ARM, Nancy, Donna, Crazymama (well, already had met and had hiked with her before), Ed (ADK4000-something ;) ), TeeJay, BoB, Warren, Johnnycakes, MichaelJ and a whole bunch of others.

For 2005:
  • KATAHDIN (for sure)
  • Stop taking my damn job so serious and find more time to get up and get some winter hiking in.
  • Reach 65 on my ADK 100 list, including at least 5-6 really ugly bushwhacks.
  • Bushwhack another 6-8 high peaks in order to reach 13-15 on my 46-B list. Also, close in on completing my second round of the 46
  • Join one of Pete Hickey's trail crews and start making a few deposits instead of withdrawals.
  • Continue hiking with my "old freinds" and perhaps a few "new ones".
  • Commit to making the "11 hour" round trip haul up to the High Peaks region more than 13 times (our 2004 total)
  • Non-hiking - Competing in my first Tinman triathlon (Tupper Lake ?)

Peace to you all.

Last edited:
GREAT thread!

I love this thread -- it's a nice way to reminisce and then also set some "goals" for 2005.

I can't rave enough about 2004!

_ Managed to finally juggle my job enough to finish the NH48, and start on the NE67 and the Hundred Highest.
_ Blessed with nearly perfect weather on all of my hikes this year. Isn't that against the rules? ;)
_ Thoroughly enjoyed the massive crowd of celebrants on Mt. Moosilauke in September as MichaelJ wrapped up his NH48. Hiked completely looped to the gills for the first _ and hopefully last _ time in my life. :eek:
_ Met some awesome hiking buddies here on VFTT. Where would I be without SherpaK, PoisonIvy, AMSTony, MichaelJ -- and of course Fin Du Monde distributor/dealer HarryK?! :D And countless others whom I've either hiked with or hope to in the near future.
_ Wrote a lengthy article on peakbagging that will be published by AP around Christmas. Stay tuned! :) This was the toughest thing I've ever written as a journalist _ but scads o' fun to look back at what got me into this peakbagging hobby (a divorce) and see how much I've changed (hopefully for the better) since the odyssey began.

For 2005:
_ THE WINTER GATHERING!!! :D :D :D
_ Section-hike the Long Trail
_ Finish the VT4Ks
_ Try to backpack to as many wilderness tentsites as possible, whether it hits a 4K or not
_ Buy my first home. I guess it's time to grow up! Besides, as Rick and Mark_151 mentioned: Massachusetts is expensive as all hell so I'd better start jumping onto the train known as home ownership before it gets any worse. Contributions most welcome. ;)
_ Meet more VFTTers; drink more of HarryK's beer deliveries; run into Terry, Wayne and Jessie again on a hike
_ Have some friggin' FUN! :D

next year

Im glad many of had a great year, mine was tough. My live in girlfriend was very sick so I missed alot of hiking so she didnt have to be home alone. Her health has improved greatly and she is now on her own again, Ill miss that girl alot. That leaves me free to climb in 2005 like Ive never climbed before. My goal is simple 20 14ers in Colorado, I will achchieve this, I have set August 1st as my deadline to have 15 done, if not Im taking August off from owrk to bang them out, permission or not.
MY next biggest goal is to focus my non hiking energy into working with the homeless. When I was in San Francisco I couldnt beleive how many homeless where out there. I intend to make an impact on helping them improve thier lives, might even move thier to do it, after the climbing season for the winter.
Last but not least, I need to find a soul mate, preferably one who thinks mountain climbing is whats its all about. :D

2004 was a good year for me. My wife and I completed the New England 4,000 footers, which included a week long visit to Baxter State Park; we bagged a few more 52 with a view peaks and most important we got to spend a lot of time camping and hiking with our friends. The only complaints about this year is the amount of rain we had. It seemed that every hike we went on had cloudy sky's, limited views and showers all day long.

In 2005 I hope to be heading up to Vermont to hike some peaks I haven't visited in over 5 years. I'll also be bagging a few more 100 highest's and 52's with a view. I might even get out winter hiking before the season is over.

See you all on the trails.

2004 outdoor features included:

winter NH Gathering and Chocorua, subsequent ski vacation in Whites
summer backpack in Baxter Park interior
"reconnaisance" of 100-mile wilderness
Gathering 7.0 and wet hikes in Catskills
"Hiking with the Hooligans" in White Mountains
a long weekend guiding some athletes from our soccer team
several day paddles on Cape Cod and Cape Ann
a few dayhikes in Mass. and White Mountains
exterior painting and rehab of 160 year old home

2005? more of the same only more of it ... with destinations to be determined.

2004 was a pretty good year for me too.

Compeleted NH48 list
Went of my first white water rafting trip down the Penobscot.
Sucessfully got my sister across the Knife Edge
My most rewarding accomplishment for 2004 was changing my first flat tire in record time of 2 hours and 15 minutes!

Goals for 2005 so far include:

Getting a start on the NH48 winter list
Presidentail traverse
Baxter State Park (if I can figure out the new reservation system)
and I guess that's all I can think of for now....

2004-Enjoyed our trail time,but it never seems like enough. Finally made Madison after 3 failed attempts! Two in winter,and the big Memorial Day wind. We keep no lists,and the agenda is "go out-camp out-have fun"
Kayaking season was a little spotty,but managed 4 days in Muscongus Bay,and a wonderful"5th Annual Harpswell Expedition" Had a terrific time with the AMC folks at Beal Island.
Got to the Exumas for kayak camping again-when the wind blows25-30kts-it's kayak surfing!
Got my roll and re-enter and roll down and dirty.
Didn't get to do the planned kayak/backpack in Norway-but ther'es always next year. Not if-but when.

Trail time-more time above treeline!
Winter Carnaval-Quebec!
Exumas again!
Norway?Ireland?
A week on the Maine Island Trail if we can get it together!
Like your mother said"Go out and Play!"

2004 was a pretty productive year for me in spite of the wet weather.
5 Catskill peaks and the Devil’s Path Dayhike with other Vfft’rs.
Dinner and refreshments at the Catskill Gathering
9 Adirondack peaks (mostly with my son) and the Lake Placid Gathering.
1 firetower hike with my wife (her first peak)
lots of short hikes and camping trips with my wife.
Completed the Wilderness 101, a 101 mile mt bike race with over 10,000 ft of climbing. :eek:
Met and hiked with many people who regularly post here. :cool:

In 2005;
My son is coming back from Oregon on Jan 6 to climb the last 3 peaks with me that I need to be a 46r :D :D (4 for him) :D
I plan on getting my wife up a few more firetowers
Work on the rest of my Catskill peaks
Get a little stronger on my bike and compete in a few more mt bike races
Do the Iron Cross 62 mile cyclocross race in the fall
Redo some of my favorite ADK peaks this winter with my brother.

2004...They paid me, if you can believe it...

A few highlights of my 2004:
-landed a gig as a backpacking instructor for a local university, and they paid me to instruct ten college students in the finer points of fall hiking and camping in the Northeast (life is wonderful!)
-rediscovered the Catskills and completed multiple outings in the Devil's Path region, Blackhead Range, and savored the crystal clear late night views across the Hudson Valley from Overlook on a crisp October night
-now fully absorbed in completing the Catskill 35
-got in some late season ice climbing in the Dacks in March
-got back into the Dacks in June for a little too much beer at a Placid pub and my first hungover high peak the following day (not the most enjoyable experience of my life)
-enjoyed the outdoors even more when my wonderful fiancee found time to accompany me on my journeys
-and, of course, enjoyed many well earned pieces of pie at the Noonmark

-C

2004-2005

I feel like I accomplished a lot this year despite working a nonconducive schedule and having surgery in the spring. That made my chances to get to the mountains into "assaults". In the spring my dad and I conquered the Santanonis. We then finished the Sewards in August. Those were merely two in my "last chance to climb before I head out to the west to start the next phase of my life", eight summit August scramble. In that time I set a few personal best ascent times, spent some quality time with some of the really special people in my life, introduced my special someone to the high peaks on a gorgeous clear day atop Giant, and summited solo for the first and second time. It truly was a great year for me and the following will be just as wonderful. My dad and I will hopefully become 46ers next month - and my goal is not so much to finish, but to be there with him when we do.

First full year of hiking for me in a long time and have some great memories. Naming highlights is difficult because every outing offers up something new. I'm not known for being short on words, but I'll try and keep it concise...

Started the year sick as a dog for Fun on Flume on the Fourth but had a blast all the same.

Got in some great winter hikes with wonderful sights

Climbed Washington on the last day of winter with a great group of friends

Close encounters with small birds and not so small birds!

Connected to a little piece of local history

Climbed Jefferson in the clouds then climbed it again in the clouds and rain!

Finally conquered Adams

Bumped into a few VFTT folk on Moosilauke

Discovered the joy of the Bonds

Coming to the close of the year just as I started, sick as a dog! Hopefully to perk up before the new year rolls in :)

Paradoxically the two best things are the solitude and the company :) Whether standing alone on a windswept outlook or sharing the joy of anothers' accomplishments with crowds large or small, being out there is what counts.

I never plan too far ahead and 2005 is a blank canvas for me. Aiming to finish the NH 4ks in under two years (15 to go) and meet a whole bunch more of you fine folk.

Oh - and no matter how often I have to climb it - I'm going to find out what the views from Jefferson look like!

Happy holidays and a great new year to one and all :)

Bob

2004 was an overall Excellent Year! :)
1. After a very slow start and NO winter hiking due to an illness :eek: , I began the year in May with 27 completed 4K's and finished up the White Mountain 48 List with the Tripyramids on September 25th!!! (YEAH!!!!!!!!!!)
2. Introduced my wife to hiking, which she really got to like and now she can't wait to head into the Pemi Wilderness and Monadnocks again, although staying on mostly flat to easy elevation trails or lower level mountains can be a challenge!! :D 3. Started hiking the New England 67 list and also the NE 100 Highest list. Completed 4 of the 5 VT 4K's, saving Mansfield for a sunny Summer day or # 67 or both!! Finished the year with 48/48, 52/67 and 56/100 of the 3 list completed. :D
4. Rediscovered the joys of running long distances, and I now go on runs of up to 13 miles. :D
5. Met allot of really awesome people including Alpinista, Poison Ivy, MichaelJ, Melanie, ^mtnmike^, NH_Mtn_Hiher, Kevin Rooney, Al Dwyer, SkiMom, Dirt-Girl, Mazzeman, Jane, and others too numerous to mention!!
6. And I lost 70 pounds, and did not gain any of it back in 2003, which was a real fear!!

AND NOW FOR 2005!!
I Have planned some big challenges for myself 2005:
1. Complete my first Winter season 4K'sand improve my winter hiking skills. :rolleyes:
2. Complete the NE 67 list. :) I need get into the Maine mountains as soon as possible- considering I have NEVER visited or entered Maine it will be interesting!
3. Complete several Half Marathons in under 2 hours, starting with the NH Big Lakes 1/2 marathon on May 7th. Although if I am ready I'll grab an earlier one and do this one too!! :)
4. Complete my first 26.2 mile Marathon......shooting for a time under 4 hours. This will be either the NH Marathon in Bristol, NH on October 1st, 2005 :) or the Clarence DeMar marathon in the Keene area on 9/24/05 (projected date). Although if I am really motivated I'll do an earlier one.......
5. Take my wife into the Presidentials, North Country and Maine for hikes!
6. Continue to meet and hike with what is an AWESOME group of hikers.

Last edited:
very end of 2003/2004: completed 48 NH winter 4s in 35 days; completed Pemi CW loop (with one extra peak, 32.5 miles) in October; and backed off last two state high points for second time each (AK and MT)
very end of 2004/2005 goals: improve upon 35 days for 48 NH winter 4s; make '3rd time is the charm' out of AK and MT HPs; carry out NH2005 HP Konvention without any hitches.

Mid-September 2002 it all began on Moriah. Fast forward 18 months, March 2004, completed my 48 on Jefferson.

In the meantime, I finally got to meet this great dog I had met online, and got to hike with him. He accompanied me up Jefferson for the final summit, as did the great humans who tag along with him on his hikes. :) Simple joys of life!

One highlight was taking my sister from New Jersey up Eisenhower on a perfect fall day, the Whites put on their best show with fall foliage, and snow on the summit, blue, blue sky - a peakbagger was born right there and then and her husband has yet to forgive me!

Now onto the winter ascents.....

Last edited: