2006 - What's on the Table

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I know there was a thread called 'Resolutions' but this is asking, what are your specific hikes you're looking at? Mine are like this (anyone want to join me?):

NH:
Redrock Pond/Ravine --> Guyot (via. slide) --> W. Bond, descend to Hellgate
Lost Pass
Tecumseh --> Welsh-Dickey traverse via Green
Flume Peak
Green's Cliff & Sawyer Pond Area
Slide on Osceola North Face to W, M, E & Main Peak Osceola
Cabot
The Captain & Carrigain Pond (overnight perhaps)
Hancock Pond
Crystal Ravine exploration
Northwest Hancock (again... maybe in Winter)
Hancock - Carrigain traverse
Huntington & Hitchcock (various peaks)
Juno Peak
Hancock -- anything on Hancock, my favorite mountain in NH!
Kilkenny Ridge Traverse
Moriah - Shelburne Moriah - Howe
Wildcat
Bear Mtn & Table
Baldface (winter)
Isolation & Davis (Davis Path)
Montalban Ridge Traverse
Owl's Head (BW the east side)
Hellgate Ravine/Bond or Bondcliff ascent
Downes Brook Slide Trail up Passaconaway
Scar Ridge
Cannon & Kinsman
Vose Spur
Duck Pond Mountain
BW on Tremont
BW on Moat
Flat Mountain(s)
Nash Stream Wilderness Area Exploration
Ossipee Range
Lafayette 'Hollow'
Hawthorne Falls
East Hale
Whitewall Mountain
Percy Mtn

Maine:
Speckled Mtn.
Farmer Mtn.
More stuff in Maine
Goose Eye
Acadia
Aziscohos Mtn.
Elephant
Deer Mtn.
Baldpate

VT:
More Stuff
Equinox (again)
Grass
Dorsett
Camel's Hump
Mansfield
Jay
etc.

NY:

Work on Catskills 35
Work on Catskills 100
Return to ADK

MA:
Western Mass hikes in Mt. Washington State Park
Greylock in winter

As you can see, my plans for NH are more specific. However, I would like to make more specific plans for NY and VT! Anyone else? That's a start for 2006 for me (I want to do all the above in January :eek: :rolleyes: ). Plus, there's the usual thing like Washington, Crawford Path, Franconia Ridge, Carrigain... things I really can't put on a list as they're more or less reflex

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
All the stuff towards the end of your list works for me-obviously the NY stuff is my typical stomping grounds. I'd love to help you work on some Catskill bushwhacks, both 35 and 100 highest. The Catskills are a great place to 'whack. I'll be up in the ADKs as much as $$ and time permit.

There's one specific South Taconic hike that's been on my radar for a while-
something in that Alander Mt.-Bash Bish Falls-Mt. Frisell area.
Also those last few VT peaks you mention-I'd especially love to climb Mansfield sometime. Hopefully, I'll finally get over to NH and maybe even Maine this later year as well, although that probably won't be until summer. As for Greylock in winter, T-max, Jay H and I might do that later in the season.

Matt

PRH 40 and an extended Pemi backpack, both in July, are my only specific plans for 06. All other trips shall be determined without conscious thought or decision.

If the new family addition allows five things I really want to work on are:

base camping out of the Great Gulf for two nights and hiking the Presis from inside the Gulf
Backpacking from Whiteface through the Trys, Hancocks, Bonds and Twins (yeah - that's gonna happen! :D )
Great Gully Trail
Washington via Huntington
Redlining the RMC Trails

Just get out!

dr_wu002 said:
NH:
Redrock Pond/Ravine --> Guyot (via. slide) --> W. Bond, descend to Hellgate
Lost Pass
The Captain & Carrigain Pond (overnight perhaps)
Downes Brook Slide Trail up Passaconaway
Ossipee Range
Whitewall Mountain
Percy Mtn

Maine:
Speckled Mtn.

Wu -

I am for sure interested in the above hikes. The Captain has been on my list for a while now, but I am a no-talent bushwhacker. Cool list for sure. The Kilkenny Range is a mostly viewless gem. Plus, the views that exist are amazing.

chomp said:
Wu -

I am for sure interested in the above hikes. The Captain has been on my list for a while now, but I am a no-talent bushwhacker. Cool list for sure. The Kilkenny Range is a mostly viewless gem. Plus, the views that exist are amazing.
I am a no-talent bushwhacker, as my various bushwhacking partners can attest to. However, if I can find a talented bushwhacking partner to hike with... (not that hard!). I might not be so bad, actually.

Cabot is high up on that list. The woods look beautiful based on pictures I saw. I'm sure I can find some great views too. Lemme know if you're interested in any of this stuff and I'll drop you a line sometime.

-Dr. Wu

spiffy. I already posted my full list with maybe one or two forgetful exceptions, but here's the ones I'm looking for hiking partners on. (so if anyone's interested, pls PM me sometime between now & June. must be willing to accept botany delays :rolleyes: )

all in NH:
AT between Mt Moriah + Rattle River Tr (+ Middle Moriah bushwhack)
AT between N Carter Mtn & Stony Brook Tr (+ Imp Mtn bushwhack)
Lafayette-North Lafayette-Garfield ridge
a Bonds trip via Galehead and/or Zealand huts
my twisted crazy route to Isolation, still in planning stages (hint: includes Oakes Gulf & Boott Spur)
re-visit to Shelburne Moriah in June
possible Great Gulf meanderings (cheat + drive up Auto Rd first)

Maine:
re-visit North and East Goose Eye peaks, this time from the east, via Wright Trail, plus a small amt of bushwhacking
Mahoosuc Notch (AT betw Notch Trail and Old Speck)

easy/moderate but remote:
Diamond Peaks (Dartmouth's Second College Grant)
Hell Gate area (Atkinson & Gilmanton Academy Grant)
Sugarloaf (Nash Stream)

What's on my radar for 2006?

Traverses!!!:
Kilkenny Ridge
Kinsman Ridge
Bonds
Carter-Moriah
Presidential
Franconia Ridge

I'd also like to do a lot of hiking in Maine, including the Grafton Loop, Baxter, Bigelows, Abraham and I'd like to go back to Acadia.

I also need to get over to Vermont again to finish the 4000er's there and to work on the NEHH list.

So many places to go! :)

-MEB

I just moved out of NYC to Hudson, NY, so the Catskills are looming high on my list for 2006. My plan is to start with the Escarpment and work west from there (not in on trip, of course!).

I'm really excited about not having to battle traffic to get to trailheads. Unless there is a backup at the Rip Van Winkle Bridge I should be able to be hiking in less time than it used to take me to get out of Manhattan! ;)

In VT:
Lincoln Gap to App. Gap
Carmel and Bloodroot
Ascutney (it's an almost yearly thing)
Blue Ridge (BW from the North side)

In NH:
Jefferson
Carter Dome
Flume
Field-Willey-Tom

In Canada (if new job allows me the time):
Various Chic-Choc's - haven't planned it out yet.

Finishing my NH 48!! After over 10 years of meandering through this list, I have 26 down, 22 to go, and hope to get there by sometime next fall. I haven't decided on a finishing peak yet...I'll decide that closer to the time. I also want to explore the mountains of ME and VT a bit more, and get out on some summer backpacks for the first time in a couple of years. On one of these backpacks I'd like to go solo (for the first time). Oh, and attempt (hopefully complete!) a Presidential Traverse in a day, and perhaps some other traverses as well--I'll have to get the scoop from MEB :)
-katie

these are goals/plan - I will be happy if half of them materialize.

and this is also a shameless attempt to call out for partners :D (except Katahdin/shasta and hood - not my trips) :)

Katahdin in winter (3/06)
Gully climb out of king ravine (now -april 06)
Lincolns Throat (now - till april 06)
Caps Ridge in winter (late jan)
6 husbands in winter
Franconia winter traverse
Prezzie winter traverse (2 day 1 night) - sometime before snow leaves.
finally summit jefferson in winter - (long story - my nemesis in winter, way to many tries/to fail rate)
central gully in huntington 4/06
shasta (7.06)
hood (7.06)
adams - WA (7.06)

doesn't hurt to have plans!!

bunchberry - don't feel bad - in 8 years - I have also only have about 20 or so 48's and pretty sure I will never finish the list. :eek:

There are a milllion things I'd like to do in '06!

I mentioned before that I'd like to finish my NE67 (9 left!) this year and that I'm planning on doing the "Pound the Presis" event for The Brain Tumor Society along with training hikes for it as well. Additionally, I like a lot of the things Wu, MEB, and Arghman have already posted. I have also put together a list of my...

My Top Ten Long Hikes To Do!

1. Pemi Loop
2. Presi Traverse
3. Semi Pemi Loop (East)
4. Semi Pemi Loop (West)
5. Kinsman Ridge
6. Twins and Bonds
7. Cats and Carters
8. Kilkenny Ridge
9. Franconia Ridge
10. Wapack Trail

This is just the tip of the iceberg. If I do one or two of these, I'll be happy. What's most important is getting out with good company. Of course if I can talk them into doing a Bear Mtn -> Big Attitash -> South Moat haul so much the better! :D

If you're gonna do Moriah-Carter, you may as well toss in Wildcat too! :D

Some of the bigger things I've been thinking of:
Isolation via Huntington Ravine trail
A loop involving Kinsman & Franconia ridges
Explore some of the old logging cuts that look like contour lines on Carrigain
A week long ADK slide bagging trip

And another I can't quit thinking of: "Semi-Pemi south half loop"
In via Osseo to Franconia Ridge, descend Lincoln via the Slide, bag Owl's Head, bushwhack down east side, 'whack up slide on shoulder of West Bond, then Bondcliff to Lincoln Woods.

Live to hike another day and hike to live another day, in no particular order. :)

I'm hoping to go on these trips during 2006:

~ VFTT Presi-Traverse (June)
~ backpacking in Canyonlands National Park (May)
~ Hawthorne Falls (springtime)
~ backpacking in Zion National Park (June)
~ Havasu Falls in Arizona (June)
~ annual Lincoln/Lafayette loop (any month; 5th year in a row)
~ encourage a few friends to finish their "48" so we can all finish together
~ Mt. Monadnock (springtime)
~ Acadia National Park (still haven't been)
~ Bonds/Twins one-day traverse (May-ish)
~ Weekend in the Adirondacks (climb Marcy & Algonquin probably)
~ 5 Vermont 4K's (yet to do 1 of them)
~ a few 4,000-footers in Winter (Jackson/Pierce/Liberty/Flume and maybe a few others)

Other stuff I'm hoping to do:

~ raft the Dead & Penobscot Rivers in Maine
~ Mtn. Biking in Moab, Utah
~ Cabela's Store in Pennsylvania
~ go sea-kayaking in Maine (need to take a safety course first)
~ some sort of overnight canoe trip (1 night/2 nights??)
~ ski @ some resorts I haven't been to (Stowe, Killington, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, etc.)
~ downhill mtn biking @ Killington or Loon
~ Swanzey Covered Bridges 1/2 Marathon (Sept.)

and some stuff that doesn't fit this year that I'm investigating for '07:
~ Mt. Rainier with RMI
~ New Zealand (Routeburn Track)
~ Alaska (3+ weeks)
~ Skiing out west (Steamboat, Banff, Aspen, Vail, Whisler, or similar)
~ backpacking in the Wind River Range of WY.