A bad expierence in the woods today......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me wonder if it wasn't intentional. Some hilbilly trying to scare the hikers out of "his" woods.

Deer in season in PA

I have had a few uncomfortable moment in PA when I was doing sections of the AT in the fall of one year, but nothing like what you have described.

I have seen guys dragging out dead deer along this trail, and more then once hunters with rifles walking along the trail. But the most distrubing was one time I was hiking along the AT by myself and a guy who was crouched down behind a large tree next to the trail suddenly stood up when I was passing by. He was obviously in ambush. I hate hiking in PA.

I have had a few uncomfortable moment in PA when I was doing sections of the AT in the fall of one year, but nothing like what you have described.

I have seen guys dragging out dead deer along this trail, and more then once hunters with rifles walking along the trail. But the most distrubing was one time I was hiking along the AT by myself and a guy who was crouched down behind a large tree next to the trail suddenly stood up when I was passing by. He was obviously in ambush. I hate hiking in PA.

Not sure what you're trying to say about him being "in ambush". Was he ambushing you? Maybe he stood to let you know he was there...or didn't even hear you coming. I think hunters have as much right to be in the woods as the rest of us, provided that they are safe and obey the law. Sorry to hear that you hate hiking in PA. It's a gorgeous state with some wonderful hiking, especially up north. FWIW, at least PA (last I knew) still doesn't allow hunting on Sundays, so there's at least one day a week where these conflicts are not likely to occur.

Not sure what you're trying to say about him being "in ambush". Was he ambushing you? Maybe he stood to let you know he was there...or didn't even hear you coming. I think hunters have as much right to be in the woods as the rest of us, provided that they are safe and obey the law. Sorry to hear that you hate hiking in PA. It's a gorgeous state with some wonderful hiking, especially up north. FWIW, at least PA (last I knew) still doesn't allow hunting on Sundays, so there's at least one day a week where these conflicts are not likely to occur.

I totally agree! Woodstrider I am very sorry you have had bad expierences as well. I am not letting this damper my hiking style though. It was one bad expierence I had but the chances of this happening again are probably slim. I am keeping a positive attitude and pushing along.

If your ever up this way let me know. PA Ridgerunner and myself would love to be your tourguide :) IF you have not been to the Canyon yet I highly recommend it.

Adam

I totally agree! Woodstrider I am very sorry you have had bad expierences as well. I am not letting this damper my hiking style though. It was one bad expierence I had but the chances of this happening again are probably slim. I am keeping a positive attitude and pushing along.

If your ever up this way let me know. PA Ridgerunner and myself would love to be your tourguide :) IF you have not been to the Canyon yet I highly recommend it.

Adam
Double Ditto. Have been hiking in Northern PA for over 2 decades, Up North Central, God's Country, Western Alleghenies and Endless Mountains (Over near where Adam was) as well as the Pokeys and S/E & S/C Portions where the AT passes - My hill overlooks about 75 miles of Blue Mountain from DWG to about Schuylkill Gap along the AT. The closest spot from me is 18 miles as the crow flies, an I like to hike it a lot as well as look at it.

I also have been hiking around hunters for many years. Many down here use the trail as access to SGLs and WMAs and are usually all courteous, if not amused to see someone hiking without a visible firearm. Many times during bow season or spring Trukey, I'll walk right by them, seeing them only as I Pass or in the last possible seconds. Knowing they have been watching me patiently for many minutes.
I don't particularly like the term "ambush" if that's not what happened. Plenty of times, I will be resting along the trail or just of the trails, usually leaning against a big tree and someone will come along, I might stand up or call out hello or something, just because I would hate to have them decide to stop and pee or #2 and I am stuck with no where to go - Then one would really feel like a stalker.....

Well PA Ridgerunner et al, I guess you all hunt.

When I wrote about being unpleasantly surprised by the hunter who was lying in ambush, I was by myself and walking very quietly down the AT and I thought that the hunter in ambush was not, in particular, in ambush for me. I don't believe that this hunter knew who, or what, was coming down the trail. In fact, he stood up to take a look and maybe take a shot. That was my distinct impression. If he wanted to warn me he could have made a vocalization. He was very quiet and it was a bit of a surprise to see, suddenly, this sight- of an armed man hiding next to the AT, a National Scenic Trail and internationally known trail. Imagine the impression that would make on someone from another country, never mind just one of our own home grown.

While I too agree that the woods should be shared by all who enjoy them and for various pursuits and I would certainly not deny anyone the challange and joy of ambushing a game animal from behind a tree, I was hiking on the AT through State Game lands. Now I could be wrong, but at the time of my experience I had read that there is a 500 foot corridor on both sides of the AT trail that excludes hunting. This is so hikers, too, can enjoy their time and experience hiking on the AT and not risk getting shot.

By the way, if you look up the meaning of ambush, well, hell, I'll just go ahead and put it up.."to lie in wait for and attack in surprise", you will see that this word is spot on! It perfectly describes his posture as he was crouched down with a high powered rifle behind that tree! And, I was certainly surprised...and not in the good way. I did not say he was lying in wait for me, but if I had been a deer...Anyway, that is my point...he was next to the trail.

Now, I can tell from the remarks posted that I hit a nerve and got a couple 3members on the defensive. I didn't mean to dis the great State of PA! In fact I would love to take any of yous up on the tour guide offer and get an insiders view of the place. BUT...

I guess the point that I was making was that we all need to follow the laws and respect each other's right to share public lands. And, also, I was saying that it stank that you, 1Adam12, had a shot fired at you- that you had a bad experience. Like I had a bad experience. Luckily I did not get as near a miss as you. I am thankful for that. Did, you think your experience was deliberate? I hope not. But bad things can happen when people are not being careful and returning the same considerations and respect to others that they insist on having for themselves.

Happy Turkey Day!

Last edited:
I was hiking on the AT through State Game lands. Now I could be wrong, but at the time of my experience I had read that there is a 500 foot corridor on both sides of the AT trail that excludes hunting. This is so hikers, too, can enjoy their time and experience hiking on the AT and not risk getting shot.
That says it right there. There may be a no-hunting corridor on National Park Service and other lands, but in effect State Game Lands belong to hunters and it is hikers who are the interlopers. Some arm-twisting was required to allow camping on SGL because it normally isn't, any attempt to create a no-hunting corridor on SGL would result in either that section of trail being closed during all hunting seasons or the trail being moved somewhere else perhaps back to roads.

This does not give a hunter the right to shoot at you but he does have a right to be there :)

Last edited:
I've had 2 or 3 incidents where someone has mistakingly shot in my direction, once where the pellets bounced off my back.( I saw the idiot/friend raise his gun and I turned, covering my neck and head.). All "accidents". At least that is what they are called. I have also watched a hunter sneaking thru the woods, raise his rifle and shoot a volley into a tree, and then continue sneaking along, what was that all about? All within 500' of a road or trail. I don't know how many times I passed up a shot just because I wasn't 100000000% sure what was behind or near or had some doubt. Hunting is like Hiking, its not important what you bag, safety always comes first.
Hopefully the dumbass gun toting want to be hunter learned something also, glad you didn't get hurt.

I guess the point that I was making was that we all need to follow the laws and respect each other's right to share public lands. And, also, I was saying that it stank that you, 1Adam12, had a shot fired at you- that you had a bad experience. Like I had a bad experience. Luckily I did not get as near a miss as you. I am thankful for that. Did, you think your experience was deliberate? I hope not. But bad things can happen when people are not being careful and returning the same considerations and respect to others that they insist on having for themselves.

Happy Turkey Day!

I was not offended at all actually. Also, I am not a hunter ;)

I hope it was not deliberate but one is to never know at this point. I like to think I came between him and a squirrel or Turkey or something.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving eceryone :)

I hope it was not deliberate but one is to never know at this point. I like to think I came between him and a squirrel or Turkey or something.
It is also possible that he was shooting at the tree and either didn't see you or bother to check to see if there was someone near his line of fire.

Not trying to justify the hunter's actions, this is just a possibility that hasn't been mentioned.

Doug

Last edited:
Well PA Ridgerunner et al, I guess you all hunt.......also, I was saying that it stank that you, 1Adam12, had a shot fired at you- that you had a bad experience. Like I had a bad experience. Luckily I did not get as near a miss as you. I am thankful for that. Did, you think your experience was deliberate? I hope not. But bad things can happen when people are not being careful and returning the same considerations and respect to others that they insist on having for themselves.

Happy Turkey Day!

Thanks for clarifying what you were trying to stay...I hope I didn't sound defensive. Certainly not my intent. I just wasn't sure what you were getting at regarding the hunter. I, too, share your sentiment about Adam's good fortune at not being hit -- and also that your particular situation did not result in injury or a confrontation.

FWIW, I am not a hunter, but I do believe that the woods are big enough for all of us and that hunters have an equal right to be there. That said, if there is such a law about the 500 foot corridor, then the hunters you spoke about were definitely in the wrong.

Happy T-day to you!

No worries Strider, thought you were referring to the hunter trying to surprise you.
I hafta defend PA, though. We get enough "penciltucky" remarks - I work in NJ and hear them all the time... Then there is the whole rocks thing....

It is legal to hunt from, on and fire across the AT in Most of PA, as the Trail corridor is within SGLs and WMAs. I do not believe it is legal in areas where the AT runs through National Parks.
Happy Thanksgiving
Rick

Last edited:
Or course you were wearing something orange and and a orange bandanna was pinned to your pack?
You blew your whistle right?:eek:

Well I turn the corner of the trail and all of a sudden I hear gun shots. They were to close for my comfort so I took cover behind a nice big oak tree. I could not believe it, the tree I was sitting behind started taking fire. I bet 4 shots hit the dang tree. I start shouting immediately saying something like "Stop your shooting I am down here" The fireing stopped. I then proceeded to say "Are you done there is a person down here" I may even have put a few obsentities in there :eek: I was scared #$%$$#.

Well as a fellow Pennsylvanian I can certainly relate to this. With deer season starting Monday the gun battle is about to begin.

I do a lot of GPS surveying, many times alone, and I am sure glad that I am not supposed to be (uuggghhh...how these things change) out working on some large old strip mine hunting tracts in Clarion Co that are part of our current projects next week. One of the other guys I work with will likely be out on a larger tract. He is not happy. I am hoping for office work/other duties!!! We get our hiking in off-trail along property lines and you know how everybody just loves to build their deer stand right on their property line in a big old white oak. Some of the guys like to just sing, literally, so their presence is known.

-Dom