A Trip to Oregon and Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We spent June 22nd - July 3rd in the great Northwest. And GREAT it is! :D

I'll mostly skip the non-hiking related stuff, but suffice it to say that we saw

Back to hiking. We were trying at every turn to see Rainier. It eluded us for several days. Finally, as we were driving thru Rainier National Park, we came around a bend in the road, and there it was!

nw4.jpg

A Ranger was nice enough to take our picture here. (note the paved trail!)

There are tons of wild flowers, here is a Lavender Trillium.

We drove up to Paradise camp, which had 11 FEET of snow! :eek: White Mountain Hikers will recognize this fellow! :D

We started hiking up towards Muir Camp, but stopped at Panorama Point, where we fed this cute little guy! And on the way back down, we saw a Marmot, right on the snow field! We had a great butt slide down from Pano Pt. to the plain below! :D

The next day we set out for Mt. Saint Helens. We could see it clearly from the Visitor's Center, but the best was yet to come! Driving up, you get a sense of what it must have been like, seeing the river bed 30 years later. We kept going and got this view:

nw13.jpg

And then from the Johnson Observatory:

nw14.jpg

We also walked around Coldwater Lake. This lake was formed by the eruption! It's spectacularly beautiful.

nw15.jpg

There are young saplings, and flowers everywhere, amidst the rotting trees that were blasted by the wrath of the volcano.

We also saw a double rainbow around the Sun!

The next day, we visited the area of Mt. Hood, Oregon's tallest Mountain. All three of these mountains are active volcanoes, and you can see steam and sulfurous gases rising from small vents. We did not climb Mt. Hood at all, but we Climbed 'Tom Dick and Harry' Mountain, which is only about 7 miles away. It has 3 (actually more) sub peaks, all about 5,000' high.We passed by Mirror Lake, but the mirror effect was lacking.

It kept clearing though and we got a pretty good shot, with a standing wave cloud formation:

nw20.jpg

While heading to Dick, Laurie was frightened by a 'snake' that turned out to be a small lizard.

We could also see Mt. Jefferson in the distance.

One more Hood shot.

I could post hundreds more shots! The weather cooperated quite well, the temps were very mild, and we had almost zero wind. While there was a lot of snow on all 3 peaks, it was generally hard enough to walk on top of. We brought no 'winter' gear, not even poles, and we never really missed any of it. But you definitely need sunglasses and sunblock!

This was a great trip, I highly recommend it!

For a parting shot, we got this pic of Rainier and one of his buddies, from the Jet, as we left Seattle. It was cloudy when we took off, but as we climbed, voila!

nw28.jpg

And oh yeah, most of those brewpubs were fantastic! :D

Last edited:
Tom, those pictures are gorgeous. What a great time you must have had! The Northwest is breathtaking, looks like you got a lot out of your trip. :)

Rainier's buddy might be have Mt St Helens - looks like the right profile.

Nice pics ... looks like a fantastic trip. I had the chance to visit much of the same area for the first time back in March. Can't wait to go back.

Fantastic ! I'm jealous of some of those pics, glad you had some clear weather. I wonder how long marmots live. We saw one in that same area 3 years ago.

Mensa Convention ??? Laurie must be holding out on us...or did you mean Tolkien Convention ;) ?

I'm headed out there for the first time this weekend and can't wait. Awesome pics!

Your look back is a look ahead for us as we are heading to Rainier in a few weeks. Planning to visit the northern end of the park before our summit climb. Also want to take a ferry out of Seattle to Bainbridge Island. Thanks for the photo tease.

Your look back is a look ahead for us as we are heading to Rainier in a few weeks. Planning to visit the northern end of the park before our summit climb. Also want to take a ferry out of Seattle to Bainbridge Island. Thanks for the photo tease.
We made a big loop around the mountain. It costs a few $$ to enter the park. Our little hike was up from the South side.

We also did a ferry ride, (from Anacortes to San Juan Island), and a 4-hour whale watch. For both, booking ahead is HIGHLY recommended, especially if you are bringing your car on the Ferry.

If either of you want details about the Whale Watch, The Ferry system, or the peaks (what little we know), feel free to contact me offline.