(Aborted) Pemi Loop Climbers Succeed Next Day on 8/19/07!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Some of the 8/18/07 Pemi loopers and other supporters had a blast as either climbing participants or spectators or both post the pemi loop on Sunday, 8/19/07 at Echo Lake State Park. I believe we were on Cathedral Ledges? (an important detail that escaped me so someone please correct me if I am wrong :eek: )

NIF, CBCBD and MatsRoing were the experts on hand while Skimom, BoB and Mtnpa took lessons from them and Gillian and I cheered them on. They all did very well but, in my view, hats off should go to Skimom who was seemingly fearless and scaled three different sections at about 5.6 pitch to nearly the top!

I was quite impressed and though curious about rock climbing, decided that a visual presentation/observation session was as far as my participation would go on this occasion... :rolleyes: :D

This is a picture album TR which words could not better convey as you will see while viewing these here: http://hikeramiga.phanfare.com/album/387459#imageID=24474968

Again, everyone did superbly!!

Last edited:
Hiker Amiga,

What a great wekend!!!!! I had soooooooo much fun!!!
Wish I hadn't drank so much Saturday I could have joined you
for some climbing lessons on Sunday.
I'll have to see if NIF and CB will do it again, maybe I could bribe them
with a gourmet meal.

See you soon!

Thanks for the cool pics.

That was the best day !

I had an absolute blast and endured several hours of perma-grin after it was over.

cbcbd, Jenn and Mats .... can't thank you enough !!!

AND, thanks to Mtnmama for the food (and warm blankie) afterwards !

AND, thanks to HikerAmiga for the great shots ! You got some really nice ones !

I am definitely up for doing this again as soon as possible.

Mtnmama, I'm sure that between the two of us we can come up with some sort of incentive :D

"no, you're not coming down, get back on the rock"

Reactions: MEB
Wicked fun and relaxing day for a bunch of hikers short on sleep :cool:

Thanks doug, jen and mats for your patience.

I think the place is called Echo Cliffs. Right across the highway from Artist Bluff.

mtnpa said:
I think the place is called Echo Cliffs. Right across the highway from Artist Bluff.

Thanks Mike for enlightening me!

Also, thanks too to MadTownie for writing and giving me further tips on climbing terminology!!

I too am all for getting more instruction and trying rock climbing! This could be the start of a new event...Hmmm?

Last edited:
Nice pics, HikerA! Good to have a reporter on the scene ready with a camera!
:) You know you're next ;)

DougPaul said:
Repent! (ance) Or I'll have to hurl Refuse down on you! :)
Ha, nice :)
We actually didn't climb at Cathedral, we went to the Echo crags and did some fun single pitches for all - Carpet Path 5.5, The Shield 5.7, and Beeline 5.6.
Cool crag.

mtnmama said:
I'll have to see if NIF and CB will do it again, maybe I could bribe them
with a gourmet meal.
Thanks mama for the good stuff at the mtn house!
And don't worry, not much is needed to bribe me to climb... more is needed to bribe me away from climbing.

skimom said:
"no, you're not coming down, get back on the rock"
Hee hee :D

cbcbd said:
We actually didn't climb at Cathedral, we went to the Echo crags and did some fun single pitches for all - Carpet Path 5.5, The Shield 5.7, and Beeline 5.6.
Cool crag.
Thanks--guess my guidebooks are too old to show them.

Only thing that I could think of that was top-ropeable into the trees at Cathedral was the practice slabs...

Doug

mtnpa said:

Echo Crag is the official name :)

Bob was fearless - testing the rope by intentionally letting go of the cliff and see how far he would fall. Must have been those cigars - what kind where they? :)

Just as a side note, as someone who has been climbing on Cathedral Ledge when a beer bottle was tossed over, it is not fun... :mad:

Two members of our climbing party made a quick drive up to the top to um, have a word with the young men who disposed of the bottle.

Glad everyone had a safe and fun time, sounds like a BLAST!!

:)

chinooktrail said:
Just as a side note, as someone who has been climbing on Cathedral Ledge when a beer bottle was tossed over, it is not fun... :mad:
Stay off Refuse--it is so named because that is what comes down from the tourist viewing area. I'm sure many climbers (myself included) have finished the climb by informing tourists of the error of their ways...

A climber in Montana was just killed by a human tossed rock. http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/08/15/news/wyoming/50-rock.txt

Doug

Mats Roing said:
Echo Crag is the official name :)

Bob was fearless - testing the rope by intentionally letting go of the cliff and see how far he would fall. Must have been those cigars - what kind where they? :)

Bob is off the Internet for awhile so I will respond here...I believe he said they are called "Moneymakers" and they're distributed out of Connecticut. That's as much as I know...

DougPaul said:
Stay off Refuse--it is so named because that is what comes down from the tourist viewing area. I'm sure many climbers (myself included) have finished the climb by informing tourists of the error of their ways...

A climber in Montana was just killed by a human tossed rock. http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/08/15/news/wyoming/50-rock.txt

Doug

I'm sure it's not only in MT, but in July there was another similar stupid thing in MT: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/07/11/news/40rescue.txt

Also, when I went to school in Bozeman, a student was killed by his fellow climbers on Granite Peak. His "friend" were jokingly throwing rocks down at him. Don't have the on-line story for it though.

Is this thread derailing into something else?