Acadia-to die for

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorealChickadee

Reaction score
My yearly trip to Acadia this year had a bit of a twist when I walked into LLBean but had to go out on a stretcher.

As some know, I have food allergies and after the long ride to Freeport, I was hungry and tired. I'm going to blame my lapse of care on the two hours of stop and go traffic through what should have been ten minutes of New Hampshire. I let down my guard and ate a hot dog(might have been the sauerkraut fumes at the vendor) from a street vendor in Freeport and twenty minutes later in Bean's my body gave up. Within 45 seconds of the first symptom my hands and feet were numb, my chest was closing, I was totally disoriented and struggled to get the epipen out of my pocketbook. I remember trying twice to get the gray cap off. I was told later that the "good heart" call went out and an entire team responded in Bean's. I really couldn't have picked a better place to go down. Bean's customer service has always been the best! I've never had worse anaphylactic shock. After the first dose of epinephrine my blood pressure was something over 31, my hands and feet were a deep blue, my blood sugar was swinging and I was out of it. Fortunately the Freeport rescue carries cardiac epinephrine which does not have sulfites like the epipen and more epinephrine enroute to the hospital did the trick. Paul and his girlfriend would still have to put up with me for the remainder of the trip. Spent the next day sleeping until 4 pm and managed to get 3 or 4 fairly good days out of the week's vacation. I came home feeling as puffed up as a StayPuft Marshmallow Man due to the IV prednisone and pills all week.

So I brought home a chipped tooth, scratched glasses, an ambulance and hospital bill and some pictures. Oh, and some great Mountain Hardwear shorts and pants from the factory outlet!

Pictures aren't as good this year. My camera isn't the same after being fixed.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=k9z7mf1.8cugygvh&Uy=q3w1j4&Ux=0

There was an amazing collection of birds in a traveling exhibit at the birdcarving museum in Southwest Harbor. Check out the redhead duck and sanderlings in the pictures.

If anyone has a package of Hanaford hotdogs could they PM me the ingredients? I need to find out if there's sulfites I don't know about or a new allergy has developed.

And there's probably someone out there who works at Beans. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Wow, sorry that happened during your trip, but very good news that you are okay.

I have a few friends that work for LL Bean (not on the retail floor though), and they have an outstanding reputation for treating their employees extremely well, not to mention the charity and environmental work they do and don't always seek publicity for it. Just echoes the great service they give to their customers, even during allergic reactions. :) Truly a great company.

Rest up.

Thanks guys for all your kind thoughts!

I eat Hoffmann hotdogs a couple of times a year at home but you won't find me tasting anymore after this! Maybe the hotdog had been steamed with the sauerkraut (loaded with sulfites).

In thirty years of visiting Beans in Freeport I've never met a grouchy employee. It's a great company.

So far my master plan of brainwashing Paul's girlfriend's mind to like hiking is working. ;) I started in the winter with a hike to a lean-to and fire and we're up to fancy camping at Seawall. She was great company and it was fun to see Acadia through the eyes of a first timer. Put her near water and she'd wander the shore for hours. Gotta love her. And she carved a chickadee. :D She's a keeper!

Adam- I take Paul to college on the 25th so I'm afraid by the time I get up to WP everyone will be gone on Sunday.

Last edited:
Could not find any info on Hannaford dogs - but I do know that Coleman and Applegate Farms both make hot dogs that are nitrite/nitrate free and are a lot healthier than the usual junk dogs (of course, I prefer the latter.)
Glad you are OK/recovering - that is quite an ordeal.

Keep on the road to recovering, Dentist can do great things with chipped, broken & missing teeth.

Sincerely ,

My Dentist's best friend.... :D

BorealChickadee said:
Adam- I take Paul to college on the 25th so I'm afraid by the time I get up to WP everyone will be gone on Sunday.

I will be staying there Sunday night as well. I hope you can at least join all of us at the brewery when you return from taking your son to college. I know I will be there fairly late :D

DougPaul said:
Seems a little drastic, just to go hiking...

Doug

Too funny!

Julie- If sometime(not necessarily today, just sometime) you could write down the ingredients I'd be ever so grateful. I need to find out if it's the old sulfite allergy or a new one and the first step is keeping meticulous track of ingredients eaten that day.

It could be a new allergy to nitrates, that's a possiblity.

Fortunately the chip is small and it only hurts a tiny bit. Unfortunately the dentist is on vacation until next week. The eyeglasses were two days old and each lens is almost $200 and I have no eyeglass coverage. This is going to be a very expensive vacation. My true addiction for Acadia shows when I sit here and say that if it's the only way I got up there this year then it was worth it. :D OK, maybe I'm still tetched in the head

Sapblatt- Coleman makes awesome nitrate free, all natural smoked bacon. It's all I've eaten simce I discovered it. I'll have to ask my local market to try stocking their hotdogs (maybe...if I get the nerve...or is that stupidity).