airplane prohibited items?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Flying to Co to bag a couple of 14ers. I would like to carry everything on the plane, so I got to wondering what might be prohibited. Aside from the obvious (stove fuel, etc.) does anyone know if hiking poles might be prohibited from carry ons? Any info would be appreciated. J

I'd leave them home. Unless they collapse to the point you can put them in a checked bag.
Carry on? No way.

My wife and I have taken our poles to New Zealand and Switzerland. They collapsed enough to fit in our larger suitcase (no way they'd be allowed as carry-on). No problems with airport security, coming or going.

The customs people in New Zealand did want to inspect the tips when we landed, but that was to look for dirt or anything that might be carrying invasive species, and they do that will all your hiking/camping gear (the poles were fine, but my boot soles got a nice bath :) )

If you can't put them in your checked bag/s, you might be able box them up and check them that way.

It's best to call the airline directly. On our trip to AK, I packed my pack, strapped my poles, and covered the tips with duct tape. I put everything inside a carry on duffle (Osprey makes a cheap one) and checked the entire contents.

Fuel is a no-no, but I can say 3 stoves made it through. According to TSA, they aren't a problem. Delta would not let my stove through. I talked to a TSA rep later, and he said what they give are recommendations, and it's up to the airline to make a final decision. So, you may get inconsistencies with your answer. I mentioned how 3 made it through, but in one of those cases the desk clerk was saying know. The Pilot happened to walk by, and the clerk asked him. He said 'OK'. So, don't be suprised if you are standing in an airport with a piece of gear that you heard would be OK...and it isn't.

But, for poles, if it's checked I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

I'm pretty sure bear spray is not allowed in your baggage.

On three trips (one overseas), we have put our poles, along with our other hiking gear in a large duffle bag. To be safe, we covered the tips with a small block of styrofoam. Never had a problem.

Hiking poles are fine. I've put them in my checked baggage many times ... every single time, I think I've gotten a TSA inspection sheet in the bottom compartment where I put them just to let me know they're doing their job. I suppose they look suspicious on the X-Ray.

Just got back from a trip. On the way out, I forgot I had matches in my bag and got a note saying they'd confiscated them.

We've collapsed ours and put them in checked luggage. No problem. Styrofoam on the tips is a good idea, as is taking out any matches.

Here is a good site to check for changing rules. For example, liquids are now allowed under certain circumstances and certain amounts. The rules can be different for travel outside of the U.S. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

Also, I found a podcast on Wildebeat called Flying Backpacks which had some interesting information.

I'll be reviewing both of those sites myself for a trip to Whitney (East Face) in September. Would be interested in current first-hand experiences.

Perhaps I'm reading wrong, but if you're looking to put hiking poles in your carry on luggage they won't let you (at least in my experience.) (Sorry, can't remember the airline, I fly different ones a lot.) Don't try to convince them they _aren't_ ski poles either.... that is a losing battle. :rolleyes:

Puma concolor said:
On the way out, I forgot I had matches in my bag and got a note saying they'd confiscated them.
I think under new rules you can carry on matches but not check them

I had my sunscreen confiscated - I was using daypack for carryon and forgot I had it in bottom of one compartment

When we went to Scotland, we put the poles in a heavy Cardboard shipping tube to help protect against getting bent, then inside a large duffle along with everything else for the hikes except the boots which we wore so if the worst case happened and luggage was lost, we wouldn't have to break in new ones.

Last time I flew they seemed pretty interested in batteries, especially lithium.

Kevin Rooney said:
Last time I flew they seemed pretty interested in batteries, especially lithium.
Yes, there are limits with regard to lithium batteries.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm
http://phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PH...toid=24e4ffc638ef6110VgnVCM1000001ecb7898RCRD

Primary lithium batteries, if shorted or damaged, can catch fire. The on-board fire fighting equipment cannot extinguish these fires. Damaged or defective lithium-ion (rechargable) batteries can also catch fire, but these fires can be extinguished by on-board equipment.

The rules seem to be stated in a pretty confusing way. There is some more info in the discussions found by the following search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Doug

Last edited:
Doug -

Without reading those links - since the lithiums were still in their original packaging, they (TSA) seem to be satisfied. They were in my carry-on luggage. On the return flights, I included them in checked luggage.

Kevin Rooney said:
Without reading those links - since the lithiums were still in their original packaging, they (TSA) seem to be satisfied.
That helps. Less chance of the cells shorting and causing a fire.

This seems to be more a fire prevention issue than weapon/terrorism issue.

Doug

DougPaul said:
That helps. Less chance of the cells shorting and causing a fire.

This seems to be more a fire prevention issue than weapon/terrorism issue.

Doug
That was my sense also. I had carried my daypack on the plane (as the airlines had had a tendency to misplace it in checked luggage - what a nuisance when you plan to hike the next day) and the batteries were in my McGiver kit. When they spotted them on the x-ray scanner, they got pretty excited and whisked me and a TSA supervisor to a secluded spot. As the supervisor started examing my pack, pulling out a compass, fleece, and the rest, he calmed down and was most cordial.

No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
When I flew last month, the airline website cautioned only against batteries touching each other so I put them in separate plastic bags. I carried on all my camera equipment and had no problem.

I always carry on my most important hiking stuff so that I'm not devastated if my luggage should disappear. Doesn't everybody do that?

audrey said:
...I always carry on my most important hiking stuff so that I'm not devastated if my luggage should disappear. Doesn't everybody do that?

Maybe it's a matter of definition - everything in my daypack is essential, so if any is misplaced, I have to scrounge from friends or go without and hope for the best.

Up until a couple of years ago, the airlines hadn't misplaced any of my luggage for many, many years. Then, 2 years running, they misplaced bags on East Coast trips. I don't like to wear heavy leathers on the plane for long trips, but now do as I'd rather not chance it.

As an aside - airlines consider they've returned your bags when they pass them off to a contracted currier even if it takes 8 hours for the currier to deliver them to your house/motel. Makes them look better if you complain about lost luggage.