Allen for my W46 on March 9th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you all signed the log in the canister on Allen summit, or it won't count.... :)

Congratulations!

Christine

The butt slide was a cross between being really scared and exilharating. I can't believe the number of bruises I have on my lower body from the slide down.
Nope. I did not hear Brian complain once all day.

it was way too nice to be cold.
had to be at least 15 most of the day.
just a little breeze now and then!
ii think the coldest part was the butt slide.
you were kicking up all that snow right into your face
and sliding so fast, it felt like ice pellets hitting you.
and yes i did step in a brook on the way out,
spencer kind of killed the snow bridge across.
so i had some warm water in my boot.
can't always walk on water i guess!

A decent way to control a butt slide (sans ice ax) is to use the handle of one's hiking pole (not the tip) and jam it hard into the snow. The tip does nothing, the handle really makes a difference.

Neil said:
A decent way to control a butt slide (sans ice ax) is to use the handle of one's hiking pole (not the tip) and jam it hard into the snow. The tip does nothing, the handle really makes a difference.

I find head first, upside down, knees up with the crampons jammed in works quite well too. :D

Certainly no need to sit on a Frisby for the Allen Slide that's for sure!

Last edited:
prino said:
I find head first, upside down, knees up with the crampons jammed in works quite well too. :D
If you go head up, face down and open wide you can use your upper row of front teeth to slow you down. The only drawback is that sometimes the flexor muscles of the neck get tired.

The butt slide was sweet, yes fast, but I just leaned back on my pack it slowed me enough, didn't even have to break it up into two sections. All I can say is, the slide was the most interesting part of the hike, and considering it's only a couple hundred feet long, just doesn't add up to a great time. This has got to be the most boring hike in the world if done solo. This trip solidified the fact that I need to get skis again.

Well, I only partly concur in your assessment of this being a boring hike b/c Finch Pruyn has cut every single sizable tree and the landscape is pretty bleak. But I whole-heartedly agree that one has to do this hike on good, back-country skis. My ski in and out was a blast and probably covered 12-13 miles of the approx 19 mile RT.

Congrats Spencer and Brian...

There was a small bunch of folks thinking of joining you sunday after we decided not to do the Sewards but didn't think we could get down to Upper Works sunday morning. State of emergencies and lots of downed trees everywhere...

Glad to hear that you guys did get it though.. nice job!

Jay

This should be a great winter 46er gathering this year. Lots of members have finished this year. Could be a record number of winter finishers.

Christine, Marta--
What's the highest number of winter finishers in one season, any idea?

Last year is a record number of all season finishers.

Glad to see that it all happened... one of these days I want to stand ankle high to a high peak sign!!

Great group to be with - sorry that Daxs lost it... at least I can't be blamed for this one! :p

PS - buy skis now at the end of season sale!!

peak_bgr said:
This should be a great winter 46er gathering this year. Lots of members have finished this year. Could be a record number of winter finishers. What's the highest number of winter finishers in one season, any idea?
The Winter of 2006 had 30 finishers!

Hey, the unanticipated slide down was fun to a certain degree. can't tell you what I said when I came to a halt. :eek: It was still a great day with a great group of folks.

Tom Rankin said:
The Winter of 2006 had 30 finishers!
Something tells me that if you graph the number of winter finishers as a function of calender years you will see logarithmic growth.

Sorry I could not make your final hike. Excellent style and degree of difficulty points.
The pictures of the summit sign on the snow was a nice reminder or the days when you had to excavate the canisters or when the cans were sitting on or near the snow.

Neil said:
Something tells me that if you graph the number of winter finishers as a function of calender years you will see logarithmic growth.
Have you been reading the dictionary again.

Neil said:
Welllllll...

The number last year was down quite a bit from 2006, only 15. I'll let you fit the curve...