Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Dasypodidae said:
One should plan on up to 1.5 hours to reach the Beaver Brook Trail or as long as 2 hours to reach the Glen Cliff Trail on Moosilauke from Dolly Copp in January, if the roads are in good shape.

Thanks for the beta!

Mark_151 said:
I thinks I'd like to get up on Thursday and buy a lift ticket to Wildcat and take a few runs on the backcountry gear, and maybe do an easy tour, perhaps the Pinkham Notch tour, to warm up.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that you can take free runs off the Snowcat Triple without a lift ticket. I know that you could in the past. You need to havea safety strap attached from boot to ski.

Moosilauke is ~2 hours from Barnes Field (as Dr Dasy says). There are better options in the area. If you are looking for BC descents, try the Auto Road (now that they run a Snow Coach, I'm not sure if you can still ski up it, but I'm checking)

Wildcat Valley Tr. is great fun... I'm looking forward to another crack at it! When I did it, I carried skis up from Carter Notch, over the Wildcats, etc. I got soaked knocking all the snow off the trees on the way up b/c it wasn't packed out and the trail was very high (relative to the trees). My skins crapped out on me that day so I was stuck with the skis on the pack the whole way up.

Looking forward to the event...

spencer

Brrr?

Hold on a minute, you people aren't thinking of sleeping outside, in January, are you?

Farmer Bob, I think we've got to hike them all before we're done. So whatever is next is fine by me. It sounds like Laura and Spencer are gearing up for this winter as well.

For the non-expert BC XC skiers among us, I will mention two other nice runs in the immediate area.

One that I have skied from Pinkham goes up Connie's Way and reaches a broad turn in the Auto Road. From there you ski briefly on the road, then return via Old Jackson Road (AT). Very nice route.

Another I would like to try goes from Pinkham south in the woods on the west side of Rt. 16 all the way to Dana Place Inn. This is the one we crossed when we hiked Isolation on the Solstice. I think you can continue on to downtown Jackson if you are clever. I forget the name (Avalanche something?) of that route, but it is considered Intermediate to the Wildcat Valley's Expert. It is described in Goodman's book and featured on the AMC Winter Trails Map.

Al,

I've been meaning to ski the Avalanche Brook Tr. for a while, so maybe I should do that for the Gathering trip. It appears to be more of a rolling tour with an overall descent.

the Wildcat Valley trail is steep and narrow in some places and flatter and mellower in others. There are some really nice glads about 1/2 way down as you descend from the ridge line.

Well, I'll bring a couple pair of skis and decide then.

spencer

I wanna go!

I'd really like to join you at the outing and hike some of the NH peaks in winter. But... though I finished the ADK W46 in '01, I have limited camping experience & never winter overnighted.

Maybe I'll opt for local 'indoor' accomodations & just join some frigid folks for the daytime activities. :)

Don't let the prospect of winter camping with this gathering spook you. Barnes Field, if I'm thinking of the right place, is basically an open field at the Dolly Copp campground -- you won't be on an exposed ridgeline or high up at all. It's right off the road basically.

But, if indoor accommodations are your thing, there are plenty of options in the area: the AMC's Pinkham Notch Joe Dodge Lodge, for example.

shopping

Bought my first pair of gaitors last night, had fun talking to a scout friend who works at Galyans.. Am i going to need crampons and ice pick? I have snow shoes.. I quietly mentioned to my wife that i'm going to need a real pair of mountain boots, don't think she really heard the $... Can i use regular gortex boots or do i really need the real mountaineering boots? Can i rent the koflach or is it overkill.. excuse the questions but remember your first time? Thx... don't want it to be my last.

Winter camping is all about the right gear.It's not difficult,just expensive to get started. The tent isn't a big concern unless there's heavy snow or high wind. A good warm (Oo or lower)sleeping bag(I prefer down to synthetic)and a good warm layering system of clothes,similar to winter hiking dress,is a good start. A good insulating layer between the bag and the tent floor is essential( I use a luxury Thermarest). Top it off with a warm hat,a neck warmer is nice,and maybe some fleece socks.
A good hot meal at night is important to keep you "fueled up" during the night.
The toughest part is climbing out of that nice warm sleeping bag in the morning!:D

Re: shopping

coldfeet said:
Bought my first pair of gaitors last night, had fun talking to a scout friend who works at Galyans.. Am i going to need crampons and ice pick? I have snow shoes.. I quietly mentioned to my wife that i'm going to need a real pair of mountain boots, don't think she really heard the $... Can i use regular gortex boots or do i really need the real mountaineering boots? Can i rent the koflach or is it overkill.. excuse the questions but remember your first time? Thx... don't want it to be my last.

Coldfeet,

if you're going to be hiking some 4k's, you can rent boots, crampons, etc. at IME in North Conway, not too far from the campground.

I'm there for sure this time...SherpaK, no chance of "saturation" right? Opps! private joke...

coldfeet,

EMS across the street from IME also rents koflachs if you need a different size or whatever. Both are good shops.

Definitely rent before you go out and buy b/c sizing is very important for comfort as well as temperature regulation. There is nothing wrong with regular hiking boots, just remember that you have to keep them thawed. Even waterproof boots (gore-tex or waxed) will get wet from sweat. Overnight they will freeze if you don't put them in your sleeping bag.

Except during the coldest days in winter, I've found the warmth of my Koflachs is overkill when moving. It's when you stop that things get cold.

I disagree that it is ALL about the gear. There is a lot you can do without investing in your own REI store. Winter camping/climbing is more about figuring out how to make yourself comfortable by paying attention to the details.

have fun!

spencer

Sorels w/ flexible crampons are used by many and are cheaper than buying plastics, probably warmer for standing around camp.

Aggressive snowshoes are needed, many will say crampons as well for most trails. Above treeline, ice axe and crampons are generally considered needed ( but not always used) equipment, though if you don't know how to use an ice axe it may not be a good idea to bring one.

Many people did well last year camping in cars or vans with lots of layers of sleeping bags and blankets. It's car camping so things are a bit more flexible.

Coldfeet -- I forgot to mention -- IME has one HELL of a consignment area in the basement. You could probably outfit yourself nicely.

Mark

thx

Guess good thing about the car camping is that i can bring lots of stuff for "just in case".. i am looking around about taking a winter "hands on " class so i learn before getting there, but no luck yet.. most classes are in Feb. any suggestions for a beginner class?

Re: thx

coldfeet said:
Guess good thing about the car camping is that i can bring lots of stuff for "just in case".. i am looking around about taking a winter "hands on " class so i learn before getting there, but no luck yet.. most classes are in Feb. any suggestions for a beginner class?
Check out the AMC Boston Chapter "Annual Winter Camping instructiona Course" December 7 from 7:00-9:15PM at Cabot Auditorium (AMC in Boston) Contact John Chang Keh
[email protected]
$15.00 AMC members-20.00 for non mem.
Inquire about the Winter Hiking and Camping Course also.
Courses like these are listed in "Outdoors",a magazine distributed to AMC members.

sounds nice but checked the date, it's on a Tuesday night, can't do.. at ems this afternoon and an Atlas snoeshoe salesman was giving their employees a workshop, or course i asked what aggressive shoes were, go figure that's not what i have.. i'm going to check out ems web site for workshops.

thx

would u believe the AMC winter mountaineering and camping workshops are on the same weekend as vfft! EMS workshops are expensive $500plus.. i'm still looking..

Thx but AMC is also expensive $650 plus...probably going to chill out in the catskills some weekends with a friend and learn while doing.

Hey!

Does anyone know if there is a farm nearby that could donate some bales of hay? From my experience of winter camping the insulating value of sleeping on top of 8 to 10" of hay in the open far exceeds that of a tent and thermarest. That is provided it doesn't rain or we have a heavy snowfall. It's kinda neat to fall asleep under the stars on a nice soft bale of hay.

-Phil