Annual Monadnock Mayhem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Hi all,

Two years running VFTT has gotten together in late October/Early November for a trip up one of New Hampshires favourite "little mountains." In an effort to continue this tradition I would like to put forth a few dates. It is possible for us to camp out at the bottom of the mountain. For me, a Sunday is best.

Lets try and have a better plan for brews and food after the hike this year!

Last year was a blast!

-percious

Date settled to 11/12th weekend.

Attendees:
~percious~
kerry13
smitty77
KayakDan
giggy
rocksnrolls

Tentative:
sli74
Pamola
Quietman
dugan
nartreb

Last edited:
I'm dangerously allergic to Monadnock on weekends, but might be able to join this trip. It would be great to finally meet some VFTTers!

As for post hike-I suggest O'Briens right in Jaffrey center. Nice folks-great food!
It's our usual stop after a weekend at Monadnock.

SLB said:
I'm dangerously allergic to Monadnock on weekends, but might be able to join this trip. It would be great to finally meet some VFTTers!

The Dot, Cross and Arrow are always congested as is the top, but there are plenty of other lunch spots. The other trails are not used much except by the more serious hikers. I was there last saturday, 2-3 k people were on the mtn, according to one of the rangers, and I didn't run into 25 people in 6 hours except for the top which I just passed over. Pray for cold, that also helps.

Tentatively count me in for either of the weekends. Hopefully I won't be working 70+ hours per week by then.

I agree with Rocksnrolls - last year was fun. And we didn't see that many people, but I think the chill kept all but the "hardcore" folk away.

come nov, don't the crowds thin out a bit? too cold for joe average.

If I am not up north, I will likely hike this whatever weekend - sounds like fun -

lets just drink on the trail - no need for a bar.

giggy said:
lets just drink on the trail - no need for a bar.

I'm with giggy on this one. We have some large folks on vftt that can carry a pony keg of fine brews and a hibachi, right? Any volunteers? It only gets lighter...

I'm going to try to make it this. I need to meet more of you crazies.

The 1st year we went to Harlow's in Peterborough, which was very convenient for me:D. I had to bug out last year due to dropping a ladder on my foot the day before:mad:. Will try to make it this year. Would be up for an overnight before or after, with dinner and beverages at the site.

sli74 said:
Nov 10th is a Friday and Nov 11 is a Saturday so did you mean to write Nov 11-12 or are you thinking of a Saturday hike?

sli74
Although my calendar doesn't show it as such, II think the 10th is the "Observed Holiday" for Veteran's Day, with the "official" holiday being the 11th.

I think we went on the 19th last year, and it was a tad nippy in the breeze up top, which kept away all but the hardiest of hikers. This year, I think I'm going to spring for one of Percious' thermal pads to keep my tush warm at lunch.

Smitty

Looks like Nov 11 and 12 for us. Can't do 4/5

Any other brave souls gonna camp? Heck,it isn't even really winter camping yet! :D

smitty77 said:
Although my calendar doesn't show it as such, II think the 10th is the "Observed Holiday" for Veteran's Day, with the "official" holiday being the 11th.

I think we went on the 19th last year, and it was a tad nippy in the breeze up top, which kept away all but the hardiest of hikers. This year, I think I'm going to spring for one of Percious' thermal pads to keep my tush warm at lunch.

Smitty

Sorry guys. I meant Nov 11-12, with the hike on the 12th.

Anyone wishing to purchase a pad can save shipping, and I will deliver in person.

Thanks!

-chris

I'll be hiking with you in spirit only this year. I am a bit further south now. Both years we had a great time.

And for the folks that avoid Monadnock on the weekends, come November the fair weather crowds are gone. The summit was the only place we ran into any form of crowd both years. -brianW