Annual Monadnock Mayhem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pamola said:
I'm with giggy on this one. We have some large folks on vftt that can carry a pony keg of fine brews and a hibachi, right? Any volunteers? It only gets lighter...

I'm going to try to make it this. I need to meet more of you crazies.

I would gladly haul a 1/4 keg as long as as its Sammy, and I didn't pay for it, and no one pumped it while I was hiking!!!

82.2 lbs! No problem... as long as it gets lighter as we go:
http://www.alabev.com/draught.htm

-percious

Last edited:
I should be able to do the 12th - what time frame did y'all have in mind? Any particular trailhead?

Seems like more people can make it the 12th, so lets have the hike that day. I think we should meet at the main trailhead so that those who would like to camp for the night may do so. It is likely I will show up at 11pm or so on saturday night and share a few beers with y'all.

cheers.

-chris

I think I should be able to make this - esp now that its on the sunday.

more than likely head down (will be in whites fri-sat) on sat eve for some good ole fashion yankee carbo loading.

Count me in!

I'd love to head up the steep Spellman Tr this time - sounded like Percious and his pal enjoyed it last year - as it's one of the few trails on Monadnock that I haven't red-lined yet. Other trails I haven't done are mostly on the west side, Cart Path, Royce Tr, Marian Tr, plus the Hedgehog Tr over by Bald Rock and the little bit of the White Cross Tr east of the intersection with the Spruce Link.

Anyone else have trails they'd especially like to hike?

Unfortunately I am going to have to back out of this hike. I'm going to be playing hockey on that Sunday afternoon against the Boston Bruins alumni team to help raise funds for our local high school's ice hockey program.

RocknRoll, Percurios and his pal didn't go up Spellman last year but did a scramble/bushwack just past it along the Cascade Link. I scrambled up the same area in June and had a blast. As for the Spellman, fun little trail.

As for red-lining, how much more ofMonadnock do you have? I enjoyed reading Dugan and your trip report when you played aroung Bald Rock, lots of ups and downs. -brianW

brianW said:
RocknRoll, Percurios and his pal didn't go up Spellman last year but did a scramble/bushwack just past it along the Cascade Link. I scrambled up the same area in June and had a blast. As for the Spellman, fun little trail.

As for red-lining, how much more ofMonadnock do you have? I enjoyed reading Dugan and your trip report when you played aroung Bald Rock, lots of ups and downs. -brianW

oh, I thought it was the Spellman Tr they climbed. I guess I wasn't paying much attention at that time, just following everyone else.

All i need for redlining is what Imentioned in the previous post, I think (I'm at the library right now so dont have my maps handy). The only main route up from the base that I haven't done is the Royce/M-M. Oh, and I haven't climbed the Dublin Tr yet, having only been on it heading off the mountain during that trip with Dugan. Yeah, hikng all those trails radiating from the Halfway House site was a blast! Following the Hello Rock Tr southbound was surprisingly easy considering I've twice gotten lost on it northbound :eek:

getting "lost" or losing the trail on Hello Rock sounds quite familiar with me. I am glad that this has happened to others. Now I don't feel so much of an idiot losing a trail on Monadnock.

Royce Trail is very nice, along with the Dublin Trail. Mossy Falls Trail so far is one of my favorites. -brianW

brianW said:
getting "lost" or losing the trail on Hello Rock sounds quite familiar with me. I am glad that this has happened to others. Now I don't feel so much of an idiot losing a trail on Monadnock.

Yuh, had the same experience approaching Hello Rock. Bore to the left when I should have gone right. There's a place in the descent of the Smith Summit trail where it's easy to miss a sharp right as well. And on my one and only attempt at going up the Dew Drop trail, I lost it completely and ended up 'whacking my way up to Cliff. Not all of the trails on Monadnock, particularly the seldom-used ones, are terribly well marked.

But if they made it too easy, where would the challenge be?

Okay i'm looking at this one, should be available. Meeting at the main parking lot trail head.....what time?? PS i'm allergic to beer..i'll bring some baileys!!!ctsparrow

I too have found myself bushwhacking on Monadnock. I don't remember the details, but it didn't last too long...

ctsparrow. I think I'm heading up on Saturday night and staying over, perhaps we could car-pool since we live about 10 miles from each other.

As for starting time... I dunno... 9am? That should be late enough to allow the non-overnighters to arrive, and those of us sharing some brews to have our hangovers wear off a bit. I feel so old!

-percious

Sounds like we have a plan. Mrs KD and I will be arriving Saturday around noon,to do some lower trails,maybe Cliff. Probably head to Little Mountain for a lunch spot.
Hands up,please,as to who is really going to camp Sat night. If there's enough interest,I will ask Andrew if we can hold a group site.(normally only for youth groups,but Andrew knows we're ok) Also,last time (first year?) we went,Andrew offered the use of the meeting cabin(working fireplace!) to gather Sat night.Any interest,or just a campfire?

Ok guys. < 1 week to go. Are we all settled on a campsite reservation? How many people heading up on Saturday evening? Can all possible attendees confirm their plans?

Oh, and I am down with the meeting cabin. What are the costs of everything?

-percious

I just spoke to Andrew at Monadnock. We can have a group site if needed,or a family site otherwise. Once I get a head count for Sat night campers,we can decide. The hikers cabin is avail for a Sat. nite gathering,but may have a resident-campground caretaker is a temporary squatter. For those coming Saturday night-please bring some firewood.Camp store closes at 5PM.
Once we figure out what site we're on,I will post a sign on the check in building,or just ask for the VFTT site.
Cost is $9 per person on the group site. Andrew asked me to remind everyone-no pets.
Soooo.. who else is camping Sat. night, besides Mr&Mrs KD and Percious?
Who will be arriving Sunday AM for a 9AM gathering in the parking lot?