Any unplowed mountain roads for early x-country skiing in NE?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Just read Bob K's Trail Conditions report on the great day he had skiing up and down the Whiteface (NY) toll road. I'm wondering if there are any similar opportunties in NE.

We live in Massachusetts but I am much more familiar with hiking in the ADKs. I want to find some closer places to explore in early winter. For example, I wonder if the road up Pack Monadnock might be skiable. The idea of skiing up and gently coasting down is very appealing.

Thanks for any info.

Pat T

Pat T said:
We live in Massachusetts but I am much more familiar with hiking in the ADKs. I want to find some closer places to explore in early winter. For example, I wonder if the road up Pack Monadnock might be skiable. The idea of skiing up and gently coasting down is very appealing.

Thanks for any info.

Pat T

I don't know if/how often the Pack Monadnock road is plowed, but I do know that it is skied.

You may also look at Greylock - I don't know what condition the road is in with the construction, but my guess is that it's unplowed in both directions (once the snow falls of course).

I was thinking of Greylock also. But besides the construction just be aware that snowmobiles use these roads too . Still worth looking into though, it's a great place with many miles of roads .

Dave

The obvious choices, once the ground cover is there, include:
  • Wachusett Mountain
  • Quabbin Reservoir (and such places)
  • Sandwich Notch Road
  • Tripoli Road
  • Zealand Road
  • Moosilauke ("Carriage Road"?)

Obvious-Man has run out of ideas, but there's a couple, anyway. Get a DeLorme map book and check out the many local State parks and farm areas.

Also, since you mentioned the 'Daks, the road into Camp Santanoni is a perfect example (minus Whiteface's elevation-gain, that is).

lattinhill said:
I was thinking of Greylock also. But besides the construction just be aware that snowmobiles use these roads too . Still worth looking into though, it's a great place with many miles of roads .

Dave

Very good point...I witnessed some sledders going about 80 when I was up there last spring...wow!

Another place in Massachusetts to look into is the Catamount area...lots of old roads, generally packed by snowmobilers...the views from Pocumtuck Mountain are great. You can start at Stacy Road if you want to go by the pond or you can go more directly via South Catamount Road. From the bottom of Stacy to McLeod Pond would only require about 6" of snow to ski...you'd want a little more snow to get from South Catamount past the high tension wires.

Pack Monadnock (Miller State Park) auto road is never plowed, but the parking area is. It's a good ski most times, but it gets heavy hiker traffic that pounds-out the snow. Also communication companies drive various snow machines up and down through winter. The Monadnock Region lost it's snow overnight Wed into Thursday. Warm air aloft brought summit temps above freezing.

I used to ski the Wachusett Roads back when we lived near the mountain.
Not only is there the main auto road, but there are back roads behind the mountain that many folks ski and snowshoe on, where you can avoid the ski slopes and the lights.

Last edited:
I ski up the Wachusett roads often when conditions allow. It is great in the moonlight for an afterwork workout. I'll then ski down one of the trails from the summit and head to the pub for refreshment before heading home. Of course you will want metal edges and stiff boots for coming down the alpine trails.

Woody

Smugglers Notch Vermont Route 108

Skied through the notch today. Hard, dense base with 2 to 3'" of fresh powder on top. Pretty good early season conditions. Fast snow made for a fun downhill.

lattinhill said:

Dave

While the construction is going on the road is off-limits to all motorized traffic including snowmobiles. If you've ever wanted to be on top of Greylock in the winter without them this is the winter (and probably next).

bcskier

FYI: The auto road on S Pack is still skiable with no bare spots. I skied it with my son after watching the sunset last night. Sunset Pic is attached.