Anybody for a Trail Worker's Story?...anyone?.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
As so many of you know, trail work is my passion. Each year I write an essay/story about trail work, sometimes for essay contests, but more often just as an appeal to let people know the task before us as trail workers. I guess a nice thrill is that in some cases they have been printed or posted on local papers or newsletters back home where I grew up. This year I submitted the essay also to Philip Werner as a guest essay for the site "Sectionhiker.com" and am greatly honored that he would post it on his site as of today.

While it weaves a story along with an appeal, I also think many will find it interesting due to the fact that I was allowed by the AMC to incorporate data from the annual North Country Trail Volunteer Program Annual Report.

So if you are already a volunteer trail worker, you will hopefully be familiar with many of the sentiments involved, and if you are thinking of being a trail volunteer, perhaps it will add a bit of steam to your train.

The whole story can be found here (Philip was nice enough to incorporate some pictures too):

http://sectionhiker.com/following-an-unfinished-trail-by-scott-fisher-cat-lang/

Thank you for your work! I try to do some trail work every year for the good karma of it.During summer,I usually bring a saw just in case when I go hiking.Keep it up and you might be a inspiration to others.

What a thoughtful piece, with one idea and concept leading right into the next, and onward. One of my takehome points, besides getting out and giving back, is that sometimes the things that are important to us are not noticed, are unmeasureable. Unless not done, but who would know? We take such satisfaction in the little things, such as cutting out one sappling, picking up one more piece of foil from a snack someone dropped probably by accident, relocating a cairn that was right at the wrong spot, encouraging a waterflow's dedicated passage down trail to seep into the woods instead. Your photos show so well the quiet work. Thank you!

Great essay! You really did well mixing pictures, history, facts and emotions to present the life of a trail maintainer.

Huge aside from the awesome trail work story (might be a topic for another thread)... since you brought up the drive north... I've done a lot of driving from NH to the PA area (and west).

You can skip the most awful and dangerous city traffic on earth (Hartford, CT) with a 691/91 bypass. It's a waaaay nicer drive and I've never hit a single bit of traffic that didn't involve a road closure or construction. And your life isn't at risk at all times from insane CT drivers going 85 in a 50.

Sounds like you know the 290 cut off through Worchester to avoid "piking" it to 495. Saves money, time, sanity, etc.

A friend taught me a trick to take 9w/Palisades before the Tappan Zee to avoid NYC if you're coming from the south. Also a beautiful drive in parts overlooking the Hudson with a view of NYC. Otherwise if I'm going west I stay on I84 through Beacon/Newburgh.

You can cut off Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (horrible traffic always) by going for a lovely drive through the Pocono's via Tobyhanna. PA423>PA507>I380>I80.

In NH, I assume that people know the West Side Road cutoff to go around North Conway traffic.

Can also do 125 from Haverhill to Rochester to avoid the 495 highways and reach Rt 16. Not any faster (often slower) but again, nicer drive if you're going that direction. Would not recommend this route at rush hour. If you're going to Rt 16 that is. From talking with most people that commute from the south, it seems the general consensus is to take 93 always even to get to North Conway or Ferncroft. This seems crazy to me considering the *beautiful* drive up 16. There's nothing on 93 (At least not until you're past MM100) that even comes close to cresting that hill in Wakefield on rt 16 and seeing the entire White's spread out before you.

Sorry for the drift... might be a good discussion thread on it's own.

Last edited:
A friend taught me a trick to take 9w/Palisades before the Tappan Zee to avoid NYC if you're coming from the south. Also a beautiful drive in parts overlooking the Hudson with a view of NYC. Otherwise if I'm going west I stay on I84 through Beacon/Newburgh.
I generally took the Palisades Parkway to the Bear Mountain Bridge, Rte 9D, Rte 301, and Rte 9 (described N->S, but I took it both ways) to avoid the traffic on the Tappan Zee Br. There are also shortcuts using local roads that avoid most of Rte 301. (If you need a break, Breakneck Ridge is just N of Cold Spring on Rte 9D... :) )

You can also cut over from 87 to the Palisades Pkwy on Rte 6 to take the Bear Mtn Br.

The 691/91 bypass around Hartford can be a real life saver...

Doug

Last edited:
Thank you for your work! I try to do some trail work every year for the good karma of it.During summer,I usually bring a saw just in case when I go hiking.Keep it up and you might be a inspiration to others.

Thank you Red Oak, where would any of us be without the inspiration of someone in our lives? Best wishes to you!

One of my takehome points, besides getting out and giving back, is that sometimes the things that are important to us are not noticed, are unmeasureable. Unless not done, but who would know? We take such satisfaction in the little things, such as cutting out one sappling, picking up one more piece of foil from a snack someone dropped probably by accident, relocating a cairn that was right at the wrong spot, encouraging a waterflow's dedicated passage down trail to seep into the woods instead. Your photos show so well the quiet work. Thank you!

Excellent point Ellen, and those "little things" add up to a great deal, all because someone takes the time to care! Thanks!

You really did well mixing pictures, history, facts and emotions to present the life of a trail maintainer.

Huge aside from the awesome trail work story (might be a topic for another thread)... since you brought up the drive north... I've done a lot of driving from NH to the PA area (and west).

You can skip the most awful and dangerous city traffic on earth (Hartford, CT) with a 691/91 bypass. It's a waaaay nicer drive and I've never hit a single bit of traffic that didn't involve a road closure or construction. And your life isn't at risk at all times from insane CT drivers going 85 in a 50.

You can cut off Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (horrible traffic always) by going for a lovely drive through the Pocono's via Tobyhanna. PA423>PA507>I380>I80.

In NH, I assume that people know the West Side Road cutoff to go around North Conway traffic.

Sorry for the drift... might be a good discussion thread on it's own.

Thanks, but all credit for the photo layout goes to Philip, all I did was send him photos when he asked, he truly did do a nice job!

Ha, no problem JacobH, I don't mind the drift at all, getting there to work is half the battle. The worst is getting out of PA, 78 is stupefyingly (is that a word?!) horrific.

We have been trying multiple routes lately just because of that. We leave at 4-430am. That's gets us to the NY Thruway fast enough to avoid major traffic, then we just 84 it to Hartford. If its midweek, we arrive just after or around the end of AM "rush".

We even tried the northern PA route you mentioned on the last trip back just for kicks & giggles, nice, little traffic when we drove it, but it definitely took longer.

The 691/91 bypass around Hartford can be a real life saver...

Doug

That's true Doug, thanks for tip. When we go the "old way" which incorporates the CT Parkways (Merritt & Wilbur Cross) after the Tappan Zee, we have actually been using that exit for Rt 2 N off 91 N just before you get to Hartford, thus avoiding the stall out as everybody unloads onto 84E.

We like the Parkways, plenty of bathrooms, etc. But the delays for construction, and mowing of all things when its been dry, are ridiculous. And if none of those are occurring, if your timing is off by even the slightest margin, its parking lot city.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, your thoughts are generous and much appreciated, kind of gives the incentive to sit down and write once in awhile.

As a neat little note, my mom gave us 2 small packages right before we drove back, with instructions not to do so until we got here. Mom sometimes gives little gag/goofy gifts, so I thought that this was the case, and that being so, it would be best I don't open it in the car while driving (one time was a box of exploding confetti, among other things).

Then when we got back I lost track of it while unloading and all the other typical stuff you have to do when getting back from vaca, so shame on me, I forgot about it. Well, just yesterday I opened it, and inside was an original 1st edition of George C. Evans History of Jefferson NH 1773-1927, my hometown. Inside it said "Presented to DJ Lennox by Geo C Evans Starr King NH Oct 12 1932" Then on the inside was a sheet of faded, discolored paper with my great uncle's handwriting that said "For Scott". I have to admit, my eyes got moist. She was right, I'm glad I didn't open it while driving.

Mom's note said they had it for many years and found it among his estate as we were cleaning it up after he passed, but they themselves had lost it. But over the last several months as they have begun sorting out a lot of their things, they found it amidst some other old family documents (including, get this, my Revolutionary War veteran ancestor Longley Willard's son, William's - my next descendant in line - birth certificate) and they knew it was time to pass it on to me. What a trip.