Backyard Coyote. First time we've seen one in the backyard.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Not really a trip report since we didn't go anywhere. We enjoyed this sighting from the warmth and comfort of our living room. I'm working on the computer posting some pictures from the last couple of hikes and June says, "Coyote in the backyard." I grab my camera and was able to take 30 or so shots as it wandered around the yard in and out of the woods and coming up to our side door. June had thrown out some bread for the birds but the coyote must have thought it was for him/her.

Close up out the side door.
P1030859.JPG

P1030889.JPG

P1030879.JPG

P1030880.JPG

P1030883.JPG

P1030890.JPG

P1030892.JPG

Attachments

• P1030859.JPG
    P1030859.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 119
  • P1030889.JPG
    P1030889.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 111
Beautiful animal - looks to be in the peak of health.

I wonder if it's a wolf hybrid? I've seen a few wolves, and the way it looks at you and the camera seems almost wolf-like.

Beautiful animal - looks to be in the peak of health.

I wonder if it's a wolf hybrid? I've seen a few wolves, and the way it looks at you and the camera seems almost wolf-like.

I'm not an expert, but I'd guess that it's a hybrid. Looks like one, anyway, from my (untrained) eye. Bigger and bulkier than the traditional coyote.

Beautiful animal. Great pictures.

Seems like almost ALL of the "coyotes of today" are looking more wolfy..

A study from Maine, I recall, showed some coyote were as much as 80 or 90% wolf, so defacto wolves here now, basically.

J&J, those are lovely shots.

Agree. Good looking animal. Healthy. 10 to 15 years ago we only saw sick/distressed coyote during the day here. Now they have no human/hunting fear so they roam during the day.

beautiful, wild and free

very much like most of the eastern coyotes i've seen from new york to maine (and i've seen plenty):)

eastern coyotes are much heavier than their western counterparts. i clearly remember the first time i ever saw one in bedford, ny in ~ 1988 -- there is an intelligence, independence and seriousness in their gaze that is unmistakably wild.

looks like a fifty plus pounder -- excellent balance, angulation, muscle, coat, clear eyes.

nice shots, john, what a gift you had today!

Last edited:
just wanted to add some observations about the first photo as he approaches the house -- eyes trained forward, ears trained for peripheral sensation, 270 degree surround sound -- oh to be a wild animal so much in the present moment and so adapted to living. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Those are great photos and a beautiful animal. Thats about the size of the ones in the pack by my house, except mine have more black fur mixed in even around face. You can see wolfish charactertics in your shots. Thanks for posting the pics.