Bad Boy Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
I am heading in to do Allen this weekend and it will make number 44 for me :D Does anyone have advice on the herpath or any tips? I am assuming with all the trip reports I have seen lately its pretty easy to follow.

Thanks,
Adam

I will go there in a fews weeks too.
I saw Andrew Lavigne report, dated 2003 on his website, any changes since then? Or the info on Adirondack Journey website?

yvon said:
I will go there in a fews weeks too.
I saw Andrew Lavigne report, dated 2003 on his website, any changes since then? Or the info on Adirondack Journey website?
My only add-on is when you get to the slide, you eventually want to exit on the left. The first time I went, we exited right, and this made for a longer trip. There was an obvious herd path (in winter, packed down) when I was there in March that exits before the top of the slide. And be careful of the slime! :eek: :D

Tom Rankin said:
My only add-on is when you get to the slide, you eventually want to exit on the left.

On the slide, if you find that you zigged (went right) rather than zagged (left), no need to fear. If you stay "right" (the "wrong" way), there's a path that goes to the south summit and continues to the true summit.

Clear as mud, right?

Tom Rankin said:
My only add-on is when you get to the slide, you eventually want to exit on the left. :D

Willie said:
On the slide, zagged (left),

Clear as mud, right?

Thanks Tom, Willie and BlackSpruce. :)
So I will stay or exit on the left of the slide.
And the slide it is after leaving the Allen Brook?

Last time I was there I noted that the slide is also fairly overgrown; more like patches of rock with lots of brush, not like a slide on Colden, for example.

Also, if you have not picked it up from the reports, the brown lichen on the slide is extraordinarily/supernaturally slippery. Not just slippery, but REALLY SLIPPERY, like motor oil on glass. Almost no one completes the walk in the summer without at least one fall. Be careful; it would not be a good place for a broken humerus or something like that.

TCD

A common mistake on Allen was to follow a well-established path to the left at Lake Jimmy about a mile in from the lot. The path leads to Adams. Stay on the road. It's not really the route finding on Allen that’s tough anymore, it just a long day, and the crazy local hillbilly's on Quads stalking you that might cause a problem...;) Good Luck!

“Ya sure do have a purdy face”, “Squeal like a pig”
:eek:

With that.. I think you have about all the advise that you'd need!!

The route finding thoughts above should serve you well. There is a little bit of everything on this hike... bridges, floating logs, road-walks, trails, a bit of bushwhacking, stream crossing, waterfals, slides and slime!

However, this is a very different hike in the ADK's. You are out in the open for a large amount of time. Be sure to have sun-protection and maybe a hat if it's going to be a sunny day. Also, know that whatever you do, it's just a damn long hike. Fun, but long. Very doable, but long. One of those -- by the time you're heading out you don't have anything else left to say and you just trod away, further and further... saving energy, waiting for the final exit.

Have a great hike!

Go with a brain-dead attitude that there is a long slog to and from the base of the peak and just block it out. This is one of the least scenic sections of any of the 46 hikes. :( Hike fast and and it will seem to go by quickly. The slide climb is fun but slippery. Both times I descended I fell, the first time I crushed a bug spray can in the back pouch of my pack and the second time I landed on my hip and my left arm swung violently to the ground and I smashed my watch.

Average RT is about 8 1/2 to 10 hours depending on the slide friction coefficient, summit time and your hiking speed.

Go get it!