BB Contact crampons- on regular boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
BD Contact crampons- threading?

Looking at these 10 point crampons by Black Diamond, I've read that they can be used on any hiking boot, not just mountaineering boots. Wondering if this makes sense used on a flexible boot like my Merrell Snowmotion 8s. Or will they be subject to breakage? Considering getting for Giant Mtn. and other mountains between now and true spring . . .not sure buying mountaineering boots is possible right now.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/114737/N/0

Last edited:
You'd almost have to know those Merrells to really answer the question, or be prepared for breakage. I have used Grivel G-10s on 3-season boots like my Montrail Torres GTX w/o a problem but those aren't Contacts and the boots aren't Merrells so whos to say? More than likely, you'll be fine, but wont really know unless somebody has that combo, or you can get info out of Black Diamond...

Jay

Those will be fine on flexible boots, I have those crampons and wear Merrell Thermo 6 boots in the winter. The trick is that you need to slide the bar on the bottom of them out of one of the slots, so it's just held there by one slot, not both. You'd only have that bar in both slots if you were wearing them on hard plastic boots. It's hard to explain, but there's a post on Rocksontop discussing this, which links to a picture: http://www.rocksontop.com/rocks/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2215&hilit=+contact+strap

I must wear completely rigid 3/4 length (not under the toes) custom-fit carbon-fiber orthodics in my boots.

I ponder if these make my flexible winter boots more crampon-friendly?

I think my Keene Growlers are a bit less flexible so will try them vs. the Merrells.

Last edited:
Looking at these 10 point crampons by Black Diamond, I've read that they can be used on any hiking boot, not just mountaineering boots. Wondering if this makes sense used on a flexible boot like my Merrell Snowmotion 8s. Or will they be subject to breakage? Considering getting for Giant Mtn. and other mountains between now and true spring . . .not sure buying mountaineering boots is possible right now.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/p...KNC-97950/cmpn/97950/store/MG/item/114737/N/0

My other half uses BD Contact 12 points on Sorels as her serious crampons when conditions require them. On her boots they work fine. Of course, you really can't front point in Sorels, but that's another subject.

I've used mine on LaSportiva Glaciers...Columbia Bugaboots....and Thermo6's...They are a good product

Disclaimer; I work for REI. The opinions stated here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of REI.

Now then,

As Bob C. said, you can re-slot the linking bar so it runs through only the rear bracket thingy (that's a technical term for, I can't remember what to call it). One thing to watch out for is that BD requires you to have the linking bar through both to hold the anti-balling plate in place. If you move it to the rear thingy, the anti-balling plate could fall out. The BD Contact Strap should come with a flexible linking bar so on paper (or your screen as it would be) it should not be an issue with your Merrells.

Personally I think the Petzl Vasak Flex-lock crampons are better for making a sorta hinged crampon.

Joe.

The BD instructions are poor.

Should you loop it first to the front toe section, then loop back to instep and across the foot

or should you go across the foot first and then loop to front and back to attach?

The BD instructions are poor.

Should you loop it first to the front toe section, then loop back to instep and across the foot

or should you go across the foot first and then loop to front and back to attach?

I loop first to the toe section, then back to the instep and across the top of the foot.

I can't imagine that it makes any difference which way you do it though. As long as you have the stratp attached to all three points of contact (the toe and either side of the foot) it should be secure.