best dog for hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
My kids want a dog and we are thinking of getting one in the spring.

What is the best breed of dog for hiking?

Thanks. Matt

There was a fairly extensive discussion of "best hiking dogs" recently although I don't seem able to turn it up on a search. Perhaps someone else can. In any event, my basic advice is to avoid "brachycephalic" (snub nosed) dogs: pugs and the like. Their compact airways make them inefficient panters, or "coolers," hence they have more difficulty regulating body temperature on hot and humid days.

If you search, this is a topic that is periodically revisited.

There is no one breed that is best for hiking. The type of hiking you do may mean a certain type of dog may be better suited (e.g. a focus on winter hiking = coated breed).

However, I would like to strongly reiterate my position: The bulk of time, for most of us, is not spent hiking. Find a dog you can live with on a daily basis at home. For instance, a Border Collie would be a good running companion for me, but I could never live with one.

Almost any dog or breed of dog, with encouragement, can become at least an average hiker-dog.

I found the discussion Waumbek is referring to, but don't know how to link the thread. However, I can tell you that Rico started this thread on 8/4/04:

Best dog breeds for hiking?

Lots of good info in there.

I'd like to reiterate (from previous thread) rescuing a dog whether it be a mix or a particular breed......There are plenty of dogs from New Orleans and Mississippi that are looking for good homes.......
...Jade

jade said:
I'd like to reiterate (from previous thread) rescuing a dog whether it be a mix or a particular breed......There are plenty of dogs from New Orleans and Mississippi that are looking for good homes.......
...Jade

Also, retired greyhounds make fantastic pets, can be trained to hike, and are in constant need of homes. :( I have one and couldn't be happier with him! While he doesn't have the stamina to do a Presi traverse, he has done hikes of about 10mi.

Most are retired around 3-4yrs old and have a life expectancy of 12-14yrs. They do not need a lot of exercise, just the chance to run around for a couple minutes a couple of times a day (and a loving home).

Definately a Pekingese. They can climb anything. :) :D :) Just kidding..like everyone else said there was an extensive discussion some time ago about this subject, basically it came down to everyone saying their breed was the best for hiking. There was no real outcome as far as one perfect breed. I think the most important thing is size. Every dog will need some sort of assistance along the trail at some time. If you stick to a breed less than say 70-80 pounds max you should be able to easily assist lifting or pushing when the time is needed- and it will.

Best dog ...

Funny thing this thread is here : 3 weeks ago I adopted a black lab from Georgia - abandoned from the hurricanes in September. I have always wanted a "hiking dog", but also a dog that will adapt to my family life with two kids. This pup neede a home and she has adapted wonderfully to our arrangement at home. So far I have taken her on 3 hikes - with the 'longest' being up Crotched Mountain. She loves to hike; she leaps and bounds and the tail is constantly going. I am lucky that she stays close to me and does not "run off". Little by little, I plan to take her up to higher elevations. With this lab, I lucked out!Its true you can find many abandoned dogs who need a good home. Finding the right match for your family may take a little time. It took me about 3 weeks, and there is a small cost involved. Go to: www.petfinder.com and you can find out about all kinds of recue leagues that are out there. I really did have good luck with one of these groups, but it does take time, and usually they want to do a in-home interview, making sure that both you and the dog are a strong match.

On a similar note- does anyone know which motels or hostels in the Whites that will accept dogs staying the night? I only know of one: The Intervale Motel on Rt 16. Thanks and Good Luck!

getting a dog is serious. I rescued a dog in CO and intended for her to be a hiking dog. She took to all kinds of training and is so well behaved people are amazed at her obediance, BUT she will not hike far at all, period. I have tried everything. Now she hangs with me when I dont hike, Ive acceppted this, she is perfect other then she hates hiking, (kind of like alot of woman I date).Regardless, I will keep her for the rest of her life. Getting a dog is a life long (for them) commitment.

MAri said:
On a similar note- does anyone know which motels or hostels in the Whites that will accept dogs staying the night? I only know of one: The Intervale Motel on Rt 16. Thanks and Good Luck!

I don't stay in local motel often but I believe that Johnson's in Twin Mountain allows dogs. Call before you go and be prepared to accept only certain rooms and possibly pay a refundable damage deposit, both of which seem reasonable to me.

Glad the rescue lab worked out for both your sake's. That was a wonderful thing to do.

MAri said:

There's quite a few. I've found that website information is not always accurate. Telephone ahead to check. Some places that advertise "no pets" will actually take pets.

Edit:
Also, if you reach a place that says "no pets", ask them if they know of a place that allows pets. I've lucked into a few locations that way.

Last edited:
jade said:
I'd like to reiterate (from previous thread) rescuing a dog whether it be a mix or a particular breed......
...Jade

Another option is pure bred breed rescue. Most AKC recognized breeds (and other breeds as well) have a parent club here in the US. Most of these parent clubs have budget and volunteers devoted to "rescue". Their dogs come from a variety of sources, including shelters. The cost is usually a fraction of obtaining an adult or puppy from a breeder. Dugan four-legs, the handsome pooch in my avatar, was placed with me through Kuvasz rescue. He got to Kuvasz rescue after being sacrificed at an MSPCA shelter in Boston MA at 10 months of age.

Dugan said:
Another option is pure bred breed rescue. Most AKC recognized breeds (and other breeds as well) have a parent club here in the US. Most of these parent clubs have budget and volunteers devoted to "rescue". Their dogs come from a variety of sources, including shelters. The cost is usually a fraction of obtaining an adult or puppy from a breeder. Dugan four-legs, the handsome pooch in my avatar, was placed with me through Kuvasz rescue. He got to Kuvasz rescue after being sacrificed at an MSPCA shelter in Boston MA at 10 months of age.

My 3 dogs (which span 40 years of indoggedness) have all been mutts from local pounds. Actually my second dog was a puppy in a pack off the mean streets of New Haven, but he was destined for a pound. ANYWAY I've found through casual observation the closer you get to more affluent areas, the higher the percentage of pure-breds in the local pounds, due to (sadly) abandonment. Strays in rural or less affluent areas tend to be mutts. If you're going to a pound be aware they tend to keep the difficult cases out front and the easy to place dogs around back, forcing you to pass EVERY dog in the place before you find the one you want.

To the question; setters, labs, shepards, hounds - working and sporting dog breeds - will probably have more energy for hiking. But there are always exceptions, so you can't be disappointed if your new best friend prefers the hearth to the hike.

Dog for hiking

A friend of mine used to have two huskies-male and female- and they loved to go hiking. She also has a mutt that loved to go along as well, so we would take all three sometimes. Never went on really long hikes, but they seemed capable of it, plus they were good dogs off the trail too-which as someone said already, is the most important thing. The good thing about a bigger dog is that they can carry their own water, etc. in one of those doggy packs.

MAri, Lyons in Twin Mountain accepts dogs, though I think their motel units are closed for the winter. Nice and clean and $65 a night.

The Villager in Bartlett, though they are bit more luxurious and costlier.

Jefferson Notch Motel in Jefferson, too.

As for the best hiking dog? Genie is our second Lab and we can't imagine life without her.

I have noticed through personal observation that short-haired white dogs
with black spots do not care much at all for the cold, whether hiking or not.

sunfish

"Generally" it's true that short-haired white dogs with black spots aren't huge fans of the cold. (I do know of two Dals that were avalanche dogs in UT, but they had to be sheltered from the cold when they weren't actually working.) Ditto for other single-coated dogs. Labs and Chesapeakes, despite looking like they might have trouble in the cold, do have double coats (the inner one is the insulation, the outer one is the shell garment.)

"Generally" an all-season hiking dog will have these attributes;
  • Double coat
  • Well-formed feet that are not flattened from poor breeding or too much time on concrete
  • Well-formed elbows and hips
  • Sufficient desire to interact with the owner will help in training
  • Sufficient length of leg and/or sufficient nimbleness to overcome obstacles
  • Sufficient training to be allowed off lead at least sometimes, when you enounter obstacles

If you're unfamiliar with how to choose and train a dog with these characterisics, especially if you're starting with a puppy, find someone who hikes with dogs a lot and ask for help. Taking a dog into your home should be a permanent commitment on your part; don't skimp on the selection process or the training and end up with a situation neither you nor the dog enjoys.

Last edited:
We rescued Sadie from the animal shelter almost 8 years ago. She is best described as a Mixed-Up Black and White fur ball with some Springer maybe some Beagle and some other breeds mixed in. She looks a little like the sheep dog in the movie Babe. She is always eager to hike with me. In fact all I have to do is grab my usual hiking clothes out of the dresser and she starts going crazy. As for the hiking itself, one of her first hikes was the Bigelow loop- up the Horns Pond trail across to Avery Col and down the Firewardens trail around 12 miles. She's been to Redington, Coburn, Snow (both of them) and Boundary Bald. She did really well on the bushwhack up Cupsuptic Snow, she probably had been to the top 2 or 3 times before I made it. I would probably go for a shelter dog again.

In a related question, is it recommended to take a dog over to Canada or vice versa to hike for the day? I am going over to hike Boundary and Monument Peaks from Zec Louise Gosford and it would not be the same without her. I found no info on the Border Patrol website.

After years of outdoor adventures with dogs; Hounds, Shepards, Sled Dogs, Mutts, we've settled on Labs. They are, in our experience, consistent in temperment, friendly, trainable, enthusiastic hikers/runners and can handle the cold when skiing. They want to be stay with you and LOVE kids. Ours are formidable but not intimidating, a nice feeling when I'm solo. These 2, one a purebred & one a shelter adoptee, are bookends in behavior.

Wen
(with input from CJ & Coal)