Best spots to find Gray Jays

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised nobody has mentioned Pierce. We've met them in several of the other popular spots as well (Webster, Jackson, Starr King). Also had one on Liberty last winter that met us at Liberty Springs tent site and followed us all the way to the summit and back.

Mt Crawford & ...

Add in Mt Crawford & sometimes I've seen them on the way up Mt Liberty.
No matter where I've encountered Gray Jays (many of the same places others mentioned here), I've found them insistent, persistent, very curious, and bold. It's just great fun visiting with these smart birds. :)

One of the Winter trips up Mt Pierce we found 3 birds -- two adults and one adolescent living off the 'rents food cache.

-- Mike

Mt Pierce Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikesnh/2191785538/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikesnh/2194422126/

Surprised nobody has mentioned Pierce.

I did, in a round-about sort of way - Mizpah Cutoff/Crawford Path junction. I've found the highest concentration of them there, and they keep an eye on the summit (Pierce) so may greet you there as well. I've also seen them in the col going over to Eisenhower, but don't think I've ever seen them on that summit, mainly because it's too far from the summit to treeline. I suspect it's the same colony as hangs out around Jackson as it's only a mile away.

Most of the food they mooch they don't eat immediately, but is stored (glued with their saliva I'm told) to the crotch of small branches in the spruce.

The rocky outcrop with the glacial potholes on Capps Ridge Trail is by far the easiest hike to Gray Jays that I can think of.

I've seen them on most of the summits people have mentioned, even on Roaring Brook in BSP.

Seems I see more in the C-Notch area (Willey's Jackson, Pierce) but can not comment on the far northern peaks.

They seem to know locations where hikers stop like trail junctions. Surprised no one has said Hale yet. Seen them on top & between the top & the hut.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Pierce. We've met them in several of the other popular spots as well (Webster, Jackson, Starr King). Also had one on Liberty last winter that met us at Liberty Springs tent site and followed us all the way to the summit and back.

Here's one taken on top of Pierce 1/15/2011.

028-3.jpg

My favorite gray jay photo was one I took on Isolation. We got yelled at by a hiker on Field once for holding a few bits of trail mix out to a jay.

My favorite gray jay photo was one I took on Isolation. We got yelled at by a hiker on Field once for holding a few bits of trail mix out to a jay.

that is a great shot I agree. Every now and then some complete nincompoop gets on his high horse and complains about feeding the Jays. This said person ranks right there with the most ignorant of persons and if said person was to give ne a hard time while I was feeding a jay, I would hope its on the webster cliff trail, IM thinking right there at the apex of the ledges overlooking the willey house site if you catch my drift:eek:

Nice photo. Either it is windy or you said something to ruffle her feathers.

As long as we're sharing avian photos, I'm proud of this one from Jackson, which is by far the place to see the most and most social (meaning regrettably acclimated to human presence) Grey Jays:

Crawford Path - Mizpah Cutoff Jct
5466946120_bc6e23d83c.jpg

North Hancock
4360995062_ec3ba25fd3.jpg

Mt Willey
5466372469_d5a7fe72b5.jpg

I've seen them on/near numerous other summits: Tecumseh, Tom, Old Speck, Liberty, Garfield, Galehead, Zealand, Passaconaway, probably others that I just don't remember.

JohnL

There is a perspective, held by some, that humans do not own the world but instead hold it as stewards: enjoying it but always mindful that they must care for it so that the future is as healthy as the present--if not moreso.

There are those who believe that if we cannot pass without leaving a trace, then we should do the best we can. This at the very least entails ensuring we do not affect the foodchain in the wild, or alter the feeding or mating habits of the creatures that live there.

It is a mindset worth considering.

Brian

best place

Colour me suspecious- but I don't like to post where I find any animals.

Why- well, I do not trust my own species. People are mostly no good. (that is a quote from someone else).

They so like to kill the other animals, so I'll keep my knowlegde to myself.

This site is looked at by all kinds of people.

There is a perspective, held by some, that humans do not own the world but instead hold it as stewards: enjoying it but always mindful that they must care for it so that the future is as healthy as the present--if not moreso.

There are those who believe that if we cannot pass without leaving a trace, then we should do the best we can. This at the very least entails ensuring we do not affect the foodchain in the wild, or alter the feeding or mating habits of the creatures that live there.

Brian

Brian, You make a very valid point which is in the spirit of LNT. I have heard others voice this same idea without being as gentle as you. (they were LNT instructors)

I have heard others argue that feeding gray jays is an extension of feeding our back yard birds. Furthermore a new hiker, young or old, having an encounter with these birds may be inspired toward stewardship and conservation efforts. (they were also LNT instructors)

Doesn't seem to have any easy answers.

Brian

I guess there are many opinions on this subject of feeding birds and LNT in general. Without being crass can i offer mine? I think LNT is way overated, I mean we impact the mountains as people in a major ways, ie.trails, huts, noise and I think its naive to preach LNT to be honest. Thats not to say we shouldnt be somewhat carefull, but I impact the areas I enter and to be frank it doesnt bother me all that much. In regards to interaction with animals, man is at the top of the food chain and the top of the wildlife chain for that matter, why ignore that? I realize in some cases, as in bears feeding them is very bad for them and us, but cant we distingiush the difference in species, like the grey jays, feeding a jay is not bad for them and its fun, so why not? I go to mountains to experience them, Im carefull, but IM not losing sleep over my impact. My position is man rules in nature and I act accordingly when Im out there.

I don't have specific info on feeding gray jays, but in a number of the Western National Parks the rangers tell people that feeding the cute little (begging) ground squirrels shortens their lifetimes by a third or so. The human food changes the bacteria in their guts so that they become unable to properly digest their natural foods.

So you may actually be killing them...

I guess if you must feed the birds, it would be better for them if you bring bird seed. (Sunflower seeds in the shell are probably a good choice. I'm sure they will accept shelled sunflower seeds too and then you can eat the leftovers...)

Doug

Last edited: