Blown off Mt Clay!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
Headed to the mountain I could see all the summits! Forecast was increasing clouds, etc in the afternoon...golden :D

Left the lower cog lot at 7:49 and several others were headed up also.

Leapfrogged with 6 folks wearing microspikes, I'd opted for snowshoes, but crampons would have been a better choice for me on this day.

Upon reaching treeline I changed from the waist up, put windpants on and another windbreaker.

The other 6 had just passed as I got ready to head out. The wind was rather brisk!

I picked up a hat and bandana blown from a couple of the others. One man moved ahead, with me a bit behind and the others a bit further back.

We were getting blown around constantly making slower than normal progress.

As we got closer to Gulfside I found out the group was going for Jefferson, I suggested just heading that way which they did. Found out one woman had headed back down.

Got to jct Jewell and Gulfside and was going to hit South Clay then North Clay and if conditions were OK, head to Jefferson. It was about 270' from there to South Clay summit.

As I got higher the winds increased and with about 20 yards to go I had to crawl. Then...I could go no further! The wind was moving the goggles from my eyes unless I looked directly into it. Then...I got blown over backwards! My head hit a rock and I layed there for a minute then decided I felt OK. Turning upright I was somersaulted over backwards!

OK so no summit here! Slowly I made my way down and got behind a rock about level with col between the Clays. I tightened my goggles, had a drink and started for North Clay...

No way! The wind just didn't want me over there!

Made my way back to the Jewell/Gulfside jct and retraced my steps, making sure to stay on snow. The wind was relentless and constant and knocked me down again. This time I was on the snow and I slide aways...much better than being in the rocks for sure!

Several times I looked for the group towards Mt Jefferson but never did see anyone.

Finally back in the trees I rested and leaving my pack went to the edge to get some pictures.

Shortly after starting down I met the woman that had turned back coming up the trail. She was going to see if she could see the others. I told her I'd been looking for them on the way down but hadn't seen them.

Shortly she passed me headed back down having not seen her friends.

Met a couple headed up for lunch and they just happened to be search and rescue folks so I told them about the 5. They would keep an eye peeled.

I met the woman again in the parking lot and offered a coat, etc but she assured me she'd be fine.

After changing and calling my wife, I left at 2:07.

Back home, I checked the Mt Washington website and it seems the winds were in the range of 50-60mph when I was almost on Mt Clay.

Next time I check the weather I'll also check the forecasted wind...

I hope all made it out safely!

The wind was definately vicious up there today. We turned around before treeline because of it. The winds were higher than forecasted. (at least higher than what the MWOBS forecast at the Highland Center had listed)

Glad you are ok.

The 5 hikers that you speak of did get off safely. There were some pretty seriously tense folks waiting for the last 3 though.

It was brisk up there for sure!
I was on South Twin with a group at 1pm, and we all had to crawl to proceed.
One fellow had his hat blown off his head, which doesn't sound strange, except it was UNDER his cinched-tight hood!
I believed we all got knocked off our feet at one point.
Forward progress was most difficult indeed!
I think the OBS got the forecast right, but the higher winds just came in faster than they thought.....

It was brisk up there for sure!

I think the OBS got the forecast right, but the higher winds just came in faster than they thought.....

Yes, the OBS predicted very high winds, but for later in the day. We were on the Kinsmans and were fine until just before the South Kinsman cairn. Then the speeds picked up and we fought through it. We didn't have to crawl, but we sure had to heavily lean!

Glad you're okay, MTNRNR! Hitting your head on a rock is no fun!

Last edited:
Sheep and I had a similar wind experience yesterday. On the Flume summit, winds were brisk but bearable. Liberty was another matter. I stayed long enough to step on the summit and snap three photos of the windblown sheep before rushing back to the scrub. I never lost footing but it was close.

I got tossed around on my attempt to Mt. Eisenhower from Mt. Pierce around 1pm yesterday [3/13]. I was fighting the wind and I too, thought I would lose my hat but never did. I had to cinch my pack tighter around my body since the wind was moving it. I planted my feet a few times real hard to keep the wind from blowing me over. After the wind did blow me over a couple of times I had enough. I was about 1/4 mile from the Mt. Eisenhower Loop Trail junction. I read on another website that groups summited Madison and Washington :eek: I find that quite amazing given those windy conditions.

Wow, that is quite a story. I hope your head is ok!! Sounds like the wind was strong, plus very gusty. It is amazing how it can knock you over, especially if you have those packs on. When I wore my pack that sat high on my back, it felt like I was a copter.

I'm glad everybody made it out just fine.