Bog Bridges?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a standard width between the logs on a bog bridge? My foot got wedged between two logs yestersday and it took myself and two others to get it out. I have fallen off many bog bridges but have never gotten stuck in one.

-MEB

good thing you had friends you could have been the female version of aron ralston:eek:

Just checked with a friend who oversees a good bit of the MA AT--she doesn't know of any such standard. Even if there were such a standard, the gap might expand as the logs decay.

Doug

I have a copy of AMC's manual entitled "The Complete Guide to Trail Building and Maintenance". My copy is the 3rd Edition, but most likely any newer edition would contain the same or similar statement about bog bridges. Here's the statement from page 151 of the book:

"The gap between stringers should be no more than one to two inches so a foot cannot slip down between them."

Last edited:
I know that many of the bog bridges we built on the NFCT we did our best not to leave any gaps... it's not always easy, however. Sometimes you don't have the best wood available and you have to make do with what you've got.

Thanks for all the responses. The wood on this bridge was quite nice but the gap was huge. Had my foot slipped somewhere in the middle I most likely would have snapped my leg. It was pretty high up and was over a small stream. I'm always greatful for trail maintainers and work crews.

MEB

I think it is important that we get more info. Do you or others have pictures of this event..or better yet video? This will only be used to help build better bridges in the future..not for pointing and laughing..

The wood on this bridge was quite nice but the gap was huge. Had my foot slipped somewhere in the middle I most likely would have snapped my leg. It was pretty high up and was over a small stream.
This is non-standard and a lawsuit waiting to happen, please mention it to the maintainer before then

Holy smokes MEB, that is scary stuff. I am curious as to where it was. Glad you are okay. I definitely think that that narrower the gap, the better, but logs are shaped like logs, so, it isn't always possible to get them super tight. Foot width gaps seem like glaring obvious safety hazards though. Sheesh.

Having visions of Chris O'Donnell at the beginning of Fried Green Tomatoes...train coming, heart pounding...

With these bog bridges, also called "puncheons", up against some of the worst forces that nature can throw on wood; water, feezing, heaving, thawing etc., it is a wonder of trail construction that they hold up as well and as long as they do, maybe 10 years. I hate it when they get slick from a coating of algae or moss. I guess this is a reminder to exercise caution and be thankful that there is anything at all to make the trail a bit easier. Thankfully, too, MEB was not seriously injured or this thread might have emphasized field splints!

The Appalachian Trail Conference 2nd edition of Appalachian Trail Design Construction and Maintenance says to "Leave no more than one inch between the stringers where hikers could catch their feet." Anchoring these puncheons, as you can well imagine, is a big challenge.

Seen this before in many places. Decades ago one of our party was lucky not to break a leg in a similar "feature" just a few minutes from the parking on the way out from a summer trip to the Sewards (adks).

Maintainers do their best. Unfortunately because we insist on using primitive equipment and materials on trails, the woods are full of rotten, failing bridges, huge 10" nails sticking up from rotted out turnpike boxes, etc.

Just have to be as careful as possible.

That's happened to me before and it sucks!

Fwiw, building and maintaining bog bridges doesn't fall under the scope of what a trail adopter does - but would be something they would report to the overseeing agency for repair if they noticed it :)

If you get a chance to call it in-- I'm sure it would be appreciated!

Last edited:
What's a turnpike box? (Google tells me they are motorist aid call boxes on the highway...)

Tim

Not always a box but turnpikes are used to elevate a trail in muddy areas. Log cribbing (box) is built and rocks and soil are added to build the trail up, mounded in the center. I helped construct a set of turnpike boxes this fall just above the halfway hut on Tuckerman Ravine trail.

This is one example (sans an actual box but gives the general idea) from the Forest Service trail construction manual ("Trail Construction and Maintenance notebook 2007).

figure40.jpg

Thanks, Chris. I have only ever noticed bog bridges / puncheons on crosswise timbers.

Googling "trail building turnpike" yields better results:

Tim

Last edited:
bog bridges and turnpike: the deil's ay in the details

A few technical points for this discussion: first, relocate the trail to dryer better-drained ground if at all feasible. If not feasible, then
- second, largish stepstones set in cone-shaped holes are more permanent and need less building and upkeep than turnpike, which allows the walker to not watch their feet, unlike the rest of our trails. Turnpike is miniature road, and not usual on New England hiking trails. But there are places where the user group is in street shoes, and turnpike is easy for them. Such places tend to be near roads for importing materials, and on the lands of owners willing to buy them. If turnpike is chosen, then
- The sketch of "trail building turnpike" is quite helpful in showing the proper construction to achieve the goal of a dry all-weather treadway across wet ground. It is important to leave the top of the sills an inch or so above the ground surface so as to leave that inch of space between ground and the bottom of what I'll call the retaining logs. That inch lets water drain freely through the small rocks that fill the turnpike up to halfway up the retaining logs. Pack them so as to not let any more gravel than necessary fall down between them. Crown the gravel at the center of the treadway, and plan on re-crowning every year or so, as well as adding more gravel so it sheds rain to each side.
The problem here is that for this to work to specs you need a large supply of small rocks and another of gravel. Sometimes you find a gravel bank and the small rocks can be raked out of it as you excavate. The difficulty of finding enough of these materials means you often make the turnpike as low as possible and still work, but I would prefer to have at least 6" of small rocks and 2" of gravel not counting the crown. I have seen some attempts at turnpike where larger rocks were thrown in at random and black soggy organic soil piled around them. The side retainers hold water in, the soil compacts, and what you have is slippery rocks to walk on.
If I was not assured of a good supply of gravel (rocks are seldom lacking),
then bog bridges are faster and easier than turnpike. Same type and amount of wood, no minerals to find, sift, move, tamp, and fix. Flattening the tops of stringers is far less work. To be stable in our climate and under live loads, the sills should be at least four feet wide. My crews leave no more than 2" between the stringers, about two fingers wide, but it is important to leave that space because we need to have good drainage and let twigs, leaves etc. fall through so they do not stay between the logs, hold moisture, and accelerate rot. Part of the adopter's job is to keep that gap open every time they go there. A shod foot will not go through a 2" gap. We also flatten the bottom of the stringer where it sits atop the sill, with one spike through a predrilled pilot hole to keep it in place. This allows good drainage at the joint, which further lengthens its life.
To prioritize our choices on hiking trails: 1) relocate to dry ground; 2) stepstones; 3) bog bridges; 4) turnpike.

Creag nan drochaid