Bring 'em! Pictures of meals you've cooked

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
This thread on an outback oven got me thinking about all the crazy and delicious ideas people have and can make happen when you have nothing to do other than prepare supper for an entire evening! So, do you have any pictures of meals (or some of those yummy muffins or cakes) you've cooked? I'll try to dig some pics of my famous tuna couscous or my confit duck with mashed potatoes!

Cheers!

Fish

Food

Man I am starving - sorry, no food pictures - too busy eating to take pics of the meals - my most memorable meals on hikes have been:

1. Audrey made this incredible Bean Soup/Stew for a bunch of us at 13 Falls - filled me right up and I slept like a baby.
2. By cousin and I made us a pound of steak tips at Carter Notch - with couscous - everyone eating Ramen Noodles was jealous...
3. I made a similar meal also at CN of marinated jumbo shrimp - I just froze them and they thawed while I hiked - delicous, and different for a hiking trip.

Lately I have been making my own spice blends and cooking minute rice and throwing in a foil pack tuna steak or salmon filet - really good.

This meal was consumed last Wednesday night at The Lookout on the AT in Vermont. Mmmmm... burritos!

The "M" in MRE must stand for "mmmmm" !

RATIONS-MRE.jpg

Here are some goodies from two backpacking trips (not car camping - everything packed or snowshoed in for miles):

Thai red curry shrimp with rice, on a winter camping trip in the Desolation Wilderness:

l28.jpg

I made pizzas on a "gourmet trip" our group did in the Snow Mountain Wilderness in spring; fresh herbs, three different cheeses, pesto and tomato sauces, different meats and veggies - everyone got to choose their toppings and then I baked them in a home-made pan "oven". Here's one before baking:

l28.jpg

More pictures off of these links:

Eagle Lake/Desolation Wilderness trip

Snow Mountain Wilderness trip

- Steve

Iron chef

Iron Chef outdoor cooking competition. A winner??

Last edited:
This is from Friday 8/17/07 at the Wild River Campground in Evans Notch -- steak tips, veggies and garlic bread cooked over the hot coals of a wood fire. Beer and wine to go with it of course! Fuel for a 15 mile hike the next day!

file.jpg

Nessmuk said:
Bannock for a guides' training session.

Ohh, that's actually exactly what I wanted to do (Bannock bread) for our kayak outing in early September (where the ngihts should be fairly cool).

I had the idea in my head that the bread patties would be much bigger than that. What's the consistency like?

The recipe I have is this:
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
dab of butter/oil

Mix in water with all ingredients. The instructions say to pour in enough of the mix to have 1 big bread patty (1 in thick) that fills the entire cooking pot (the recipe makes 1 bread). Cooking time should be approx 10-15 min.

Looks delicious by the way!

Fish

bannock secrets

hikingfish said:
Ohh, that's actually exactly what I wanted to do (Bannock bread) for our kayak outing in early September (where the ngihts should be fairly cool).

I had the idea in my head that the bread patties would be much bigger than that. What's the consistency like?
You can make them any size you want, take up the whole pan with one if you like. Fry or bake them, or use variations (sweet or not) of the mixture as a general sauce thickener or dumplings. These in the photo are biscuit size for ease of cooking, made in several batches pan fried in margarine to feed a large group. Serve with honey and jam.

I mix everything together well in advance of a trip. When ready to cook, mix with enough water (reserve some dry mix for mistakes) to knead into a bread dough consistency. Grab a golf ball size piece and pat flat, very flat, between your palms because they expand just enough while cooking.

Here's my personal list of ingredients (you don't expect me to list amounts do you? :p )
white flour
whole wheat flour
corn meal
another grain flour or oatmeal
salt
baking powder
shortening
dry milk powder
half white and half brown sugar
cinnamon

hikingfish said:
Nessmuk, I have to ask, what's the recipe for that iron chef picture?! And more to the point, what are those three big balls?!

Fish
Not my recipe, truly one of a kind made on the spot by scouts who were given a surprise bag of ingredients. Those balls are probably some kind of dumpling, maybe mixed with pickles, who knows. As a judge sampling 8 or 10 of these going off at once I tend to forget what is what. :eek:

From a one night gourmet alpine adventure this spring.

First course was a tossed salad with feta and olives and cracked pepper.

firstcourse-800.jpg

Second course was shrimp scampi with garlic bread and a fine chardonnay.

shrimpscampi-800.jpg

Third course was finishing the rest of the wine ...

winenut-800.jpg

Needless to say, dessert had to wait until the morning.